Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I hope it's not a pipe organ with a folded 16 foot pipe stop. Then maybe you should not use it and sell it as it could also collapse your house faster.

It reminds me of a neurosurgeon who had a pipe organ in his basement. After a few drinks and with one or several guests, he would often play it loud enough as to break the window glasses. He had replacement glass panels handy when needed. :D
Being a neurosurgeon allows for such decadence.

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
FYI the RX-A2A/RX-V6A/TSR-700s got a new firmware released yesterday. I'm thinking our next update shouldn't be too far behind.

I doubt that we will see this type of firmware in the following days. The V6A firmware includes
  1. Support of 4K/120Hz, HDR10+
  2. Stability improvement of eARC
  3. Bug fix for no video output during Dolby Vision playback
  4. Other stability improvements
It took only one year to Yamaha to get here.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I doubt that we will see this type of firmware in the following days.
Firmware for higher tier models in Q1 2022. It's not ready yet and they need to perfect the one released for lower tier models. Small steps.

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
Firmware for higher tier models in Q1 2022. It's not ready yet and they need to perfect the one released for lower tier models. Small steps.
Was that confirmed? Support told me to expect it pretty soon after the lower end models.

AllenB

AllenB

Enthusiast
Okay, my Yamaha RX-A6A has arrived from Addicted to Audio Perth just 48 hours ago. Still setting it up.

Love the clarity. The crispness and soundstage of classical music (e.g. LSO, “The Lark Ascending”) in PureDirect is breathtaking. So is the dynamic range and directionality of 5.1 movies (e.g. the prison rescue scene almost an hour into Marvel’s “Black Widow”): effortless punch.

Maybe I’m a purist, but I do prefer Straight to all the DSP settings they provide. Yamaha provides to much configurability — even the power to set the DAC Digital Filter (“Sharp roll-off” was my preference).

Between the remote, MusicCast app, Web Setup (settings in a browser), I rarely use the screen or buttons on the receiver.

For me, this was a big step-up (from a Denon X540BT). Using moderate speakers (5.1, based around Yamaha NS-555), in a single moderate-sized room (6 x 4.5 x 2.4 m).

The only issue I’ve hit run into is a known incompatibility with Atmos on DisneyPlus. The workaround is to dial the Disney+ settings back to HD (rather than 4k), so it outputs Dolby Digital Plus rather than Atmos. Haven’t tried anything that needs 40Gbit/sec on HDMI 2.1.

Love this thing. For me, it’s the perfect combination of stereo amp (in PureDirect) and surround sound (in Straight), with a great DAC and a decent power supply. Hoping for a decade of good sound. Now, I must go fill in that 5-year warranty.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Okay, my Yamaha RX-A6A has arrived from Addicted to Audio Perth just 48 hours ago. Still setting it up.

Love the clarity. The crispness and soundstage of classical music (e.g. LSO, “The Lark Ascending”) in PureDirect is breathtaking. So is the dynamic range and directionality of 5.1 movies (e.g. the prison rescue scene almost an hour into Marvel’s “Black Widow”): effortless punch.

Maybe I’m a purist, but I do prefer Straight to all the DSP settings they provide. Yamaha provides to much configurability — even the power to set the DAC Digital Filter (“Sharp roll-off” was my preference).

Between the remote, MusicCast app, Web Setup (settings in a browser), I rarely use the screen or buttons on the receiver.

For me, this was a big step-up (from a Denon X540BT). Using moderate speakers (5.1, based around Yamaha NS-555), in a single moderate-sized room (6 x 4.5 x 2.4 m).

The only issue I’ve hit run into is a known incompatibility with Atmos on DisneyPlus. The workaround is to dial the Disney+ settings back to HD (rather than 4k), so it outputs Dolby Digital Plus rather than Atmos. Haven’t tried anything that needs 40Gbit/sec on HDMI 2.1.

Love this thing. For me, it’s the perfect combination of stereo amp (in PureDirect) and surround sound (in Straight), with a great DAC and a decent power supply. Hoping for a decade of good sound. Now, I must go fill in that 5-year warranty.
Hello. I wonder what’s your Dolby Atmos issue with Disney+. Could it be your are using the tv Disney+ app on a Samsung tv ? If so it’s the Samsung Disney+ that doesn’t output Atmos (I think LG tvs do). I bought an AppleTV just because of the issue (but finally love the AppleTV way more than expected).
For stereo music I would advice you to have a try with straight vs pure if you properly ran YPAO.
I was always using Direct on my Denon so I tried Pure on the Yamaha and the sound stage is narrower than using Straight (in my room). The fact when using Straight you will benefit from the room correction equalization brings way more than I was expecting.
Some say that running YPAO with multipoint gives bad results but in my case I use a single listening position and the results are really good.
Glad you enjoy your amp. If It’s good this way, it can even be better after some tweaks in some cases.

AllenB

AllenB

Enthusiast
Hello. I wonder what’s your Dolby Atmos issue with Disney+. Could it be your are using the tv Disney+ app on a Samsung tv ? If so it’s the Samsung Disney+ that doesn’t output Atmos (I think LG tvs do).
TV is an LG. A6A just produced some soft clicking, until I changed the setting on Disney+. Not sure whose issue this is. Somebody will work it out without me debugging it.
For stereo music I would advice you to have a try with straight vs pure if you properly ran YPAO.
Have only run a basic YPAO so far (single point, without angles). It will probably improve with a more detailed run. Straight might work better then.
Some say that running YPAO with multipoint gives bad results but in my case I use a single listening position and the results are really good.
Will play with it. Read a report that, with more the 3 positions, YPAO can get confused.
Glad you enjoy your amp. If It’s good this way, it can even be better after some tweaks in some cases.
Absolutely. Looking forward to some decent jazz too. Thanks for your comments.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic

I also had problems with Disney plus in Atmos. I wasn't sure if it's my streaming device or the receiver. The new shang-chi and the legend of the ten rings disney plus gives me problems. The audio turns on and off every 10 seconds or so. I wonder if Yamaha knows of this

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Yeah that was my post. I should email them again soon to see if they have an update.
Think that was the email I saw. I would not pester Yamaha as much in this moment. They said ~60 days, so it's soon enough. They just have to wait for HDMI Forum to release certification testing protocol. HDMI Forum should be pushed hard instead, as it was their responsibility to get this right and on time.

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
Yesterday I calibrated again the A8A but only multipoint - 3 points - always the same for all measurements - and not YPAO 3D - angle and height. The results were better, the distortion sound on the voices diminished and the attenuation of the SW was smaller than before.
From here, my conclusion is that YPAO 3D is completely broken and I will not use it anymore until a fw revision to fix it. YPAO is still broken, it doe not measure the Front Presence speakers if these are Atmos.
I eliminated the microphone out of the equation making a calibration with the cheaper Yamaha V6A microphone. The measurements are similar but the calibration with the V6A mic sounds muffled. But on the sub side, the curve is similar. A8A mic here.
1638017242422.png

V6A mic.
1638017291015.png

Previous calibration with 3D.
1638017413534.png

I measured now with the microphone in the same three positions I use for all the measurements.
Today I tried to use REW but because I changed the laptop ASIO 4 all is giving a lot of error. After two hours of tweaking I could not make a measure. I will install Another Asio driver to see if can resolve the issues.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For dialing in two or more subs.?
Two to four subs is not a problem for audyssey and they provided a recommended procedure. For DL, the last version can do that too, likely a little better than Audyssey's procedure. For AARC I do not know without doing some digging first.

The thing is, spl meters such as the extremely popular Radio Shack models (discontinued now I think..) and similar ones are not going to be accurate for dialing in subwoofers. On top of that, the big name RCs all measured the time delay, not just spl. "Time aligning" subwoofers is an important step for subwoofers to work together nicely.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yesterday I calibrated again the A8A but only multipoint - 3 points - always the same for all measurements - and not YPAO 3D - angle and height. The results were better, the distortion sound on the voices diminished and the attenuation of the SW was smaller than before.
From here, my conclusion is that YPAO 3D is completely broken and I will not use it anymore until a fw revision to fix it. YPAO is still broken, it doe not measure the Front Presence speakers if these are Atmos.
I eliminated the microphone out of the equation making a calibration with the cheaper Yamaha V6A microphone. The measurements are similar but the calibration with the V6A mic sounds muffled. But on the sub side, the curve is similar. A8A mic here.
View attachment 51822

V6A mic.
View attachment 51823

Previous calibration with 3D.
View attachment 51824

I measured now with the microphone in the same three positions I use for all the measurements.
Today I tried to use REW but because I changed the laptop ASIO 4 all is giving a lot of error. After two hours of tweaking I could not make a measure. I will install Another Asio driver to see if can resolve the issues.
If you are not experienced with those drivers, don't use ASIO unless you have a reason to do it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis