Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The new Yamaha AVENTAGE AV receivers for 2021 come armed to the teeth in new features and performance to put its competition on notice. 2021 lineup of Yamaha AV AVENTAGE receivers including the RX-A8A, RX-A6A and RX-A4A. The new lineup offers 11-, 9- and 7-channels, respectively. Yamaha says the new lineup “represent the new reference standard for all others to be compared to". Based on Yamaha's reputation and the updates they've made, including beefier amplifier sections, we have little doubt question this claim.

The RX-A8A looks like a beast, tipping the scale at 47lbs and boasting 150wpc x 11 with 8K support on ALL inputs. Best of all, Yamaha is finally addressing bass with their latest update on YPAO via their Low Frequency Mode.

The new “Low Frequency Mode” (LFM) is added to the PEQ options of “Flat”, “Front” and “Natural”. Room resonances in the 15.6Hz to 250Hz band have very long decay times that adversely affect pure sound reproduction. The LFM identifies problems in this critical band and focuses all parametric filters to this region of the spectrum.
rx-a8a.jpg

Read: Yamaha RX-A AVENTAGE AV Receivers for 2021

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Well, that thing makes my little droid look like a piece of s#%t. Gonna go barter with the Jawas tomorrow. Maybe they have more Mandalorian armor.:confused:

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
The new Yamaha AVENTAGE AV receivers for 2021 come armed to the teeth in new features and performance to put its competition on notice. 2021 lineup of Yamaha AV AVENTAGE receivers including the RX-A8A, RX-A6A and RX-A4A. The new lineup offers 11-, 9- and 7-channels, respectively. Yamaha says the new lineup “represent the new reference standard for all others to be compared to". Based on Yamaha's reputation and the updates they've made, including beefier amplifier sections, we have little doubt question this claim.

The RX-A8A looks like a beast, tipping the scale at 47lbs and boasting 150wpc x 11 with 8K support on ALL inputs. Best of all, Yamaha is finally addressing bass with their latest update on YPAO via their Low Frequency Mode.

View attachment 47987

Read: Yamaha RX-A AVENTAGE AV Receivers for 2021
That thing looks awesome. Guess I'm definitely waiting for these to make their appearance this year.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
As long as these new 8K/HDMI-2.1 Yamaha’s are not backordered, it should be great. :D

The $2,200 RX-A6A seems like the $2,200 RX-A3080, both have 150x9Ch amps/11.2 Processing and XLR L/R Inputs and Outputs.

And the new $3,000 flagship A8A has 150x11Ch amps for those who want to power 11 speakers without having to buy extra external amps.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
As long as these new 8K/HDMI-2.1 Yamaha’s are not backordered, it should be great. :D

The $2,200 RX-A6A seems like the $2,200 RX-A3080, both have 150x9Ch amps/11.2 Processing and XLR L/R Inputs and Outputs.

And the new $3,000 flagship A8A has 150x11Ch amps for those who want to power 11 speakers without having to buy extra external amps.
The RX-A6A only has 9CH of processing.

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
I wonder how it will compare to the Venerable rx-z7, rx-z9, and rx-z11

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I wonder how it will compare to the Venerable rx-z7, rx-z9, and rx-z11
I suspect amplifier wise, not quite at the level of those prior flagships but DAC and processing, light years ahead of those prior flagships.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The RX-A6A only has 9CH of processing.
Gene, according to the Yamaha website, the A6A has 11.2CH processing:

Hear every sound, see every detail. The A6A has been carefully designed so every element of your entertainment is the best it can be. From slight whispers of sound to swift, on-screen movements, the A6A ensures you won’t miss a thing.
  • 9.2-channel (with 11.2-channel processing) 150-Watt surround sound with Zone 2/3/4
  • 4K120 and 8K60 HDMI and HDR10+ (with future update) with HDCP 2.3 and eARC (7 in/3 out)
  • Dolby Atmos® with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS:X® with CINEMA DSP HD3
  • ESS SABRE ES9026PRO Ultra DAC for the ultimate high-performance conversion
  • YPAO™- R.S.C. with 3D, multipoint measurement, precision EQ and low frequency mode
  • Surround:AI™ technology automatically optimizes the sound and effects in real-time
  • ALLM, VRR, QFT, QMS (with future update) and Dolby Vision™, Hybrid-Log Gamma and BT.2020
  • AURO-3D (with future update)
  • Wi-Fi, Bluetooth®, MusicCast multi-room audio, AirPlay 2 and Spotify Connect
  • Voice control with Amazon Alexa, Siri® (via AirPlay 2) and Google Assistant
  • Pandora, Spotify, Napster, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Deezer, Qobuz, Amazon Music HD
  • 3rd-party control driver-capable, easy IP set-up and remote IP control
  • Phono input

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene, according to the Yamaha website, the A6A has 11.2CH processing:

Hear every sound, see every detail. The A6A has been carefully designed so every element of your entertainment is the best it can be. From slight whispers of sound to swift, on-screen movements, the A6A ensures you won’t miss a thing.
  • 9.2-channel (with 11.2-channel processing) 150-Watt surround sound with Zone 2/3/4
  • 4K120 and 8K60 HDMI and HDR10+ (with future update) with HDCP 2.3 and eARC (7 in/3 out)
  • Dolby Atmos® with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS:X® with CINEMA DSP HD3
  • ESS SABRE ES9026PRO Ultra DAC for the ultimate high-performance conversion
  • YPAO™- R.S.C. with 3D, multipoint measurement, precision EQ and low frequency mode
  • Surround:AI™ technology automatically optimizes the sound and effects in real-time
  • ALLM, VRR, QFT, QMS (with future update) and Dolby Vision™, Hybrid-Log Gamma and BT.2020
  • AURO-3D (with future update)
  • Wi-Fi, Bluetooth®, MusicCast multi-room audio, AirPlay 2 and Spotify Connect
  • Voice control with Amazon Alexa, Siri® (via AirPlay 2) and Google Assistant
  • Pandora, Spotify, Napster, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Deezer, Qobuz, Amazon Music HD
  • 3rd-party control driver-capable, easy IP set-up and remote IP control
  • Phono input
Weird, I swear I read differently when it first posted. Thanks.

F

Fried Chicken

Audioholic
I was (and still am to an extent) very tempted to get an rx-z7. I’ve dug my claws deep into 1080p and won’t budge.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like they basically eliminated a model similar to RX-A2080 which was sorta the sweet spot (cost-wise) if you only want 5.1.4. That tells me most people want 7.1.4. :)

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I wouldn't consider Yamaha the very tippy top of my short list of must own midranged products. However, I'm surprised that I have nothing real to complain about with this announcement and for the first time ever Yamaha looks attractive to me. Seems Yamaha is taking things more seriously than the competition right now and could very well be in more homes (especially mature gamers) this year than would have otherwise thanks to having real HDMI 2.1 support with 9 and 11 amplified channels. Well done Yamaha. The reliance on "future firmware updates" is always a major red flag though. I wouldn't spend a dime on these till all features are live and confirmed working.
Now where the hell is Denon? I assume... at home washing their tights!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Question for the Yammie-Heads. ;)

I remember hearing many times over the past few years that there were stability issues with (some?) Yamaha AVRs not playing well when connecting to external Amps?
Is there any clarification that can be given to the veracity of those claims? Have they moved beyond?

I agree with Wookie, on paper these look super legit and potentially exciting.
While Denon seemed to have done an almost complete product overhaul last year (only 1600 and 8500 not refreshed?) and the only Marantz not updated was the AVP 8805... it will be interesting to see what SU announces for this year, especially considering the HDMI debacle that both Y and SU fell victim to.

What were they lacking before?
At the very least, good room correction that could compete with Aud XT32 and the App.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Question for the Yammie-Heads. ;)

I remember hearing many times over the past few years that there were stability issues with (some?) Yamaha AVRs not playing well when connecting to external Amps?
Is there any clarification that can be given to the veracity of those claims? Have they moved beyond?
You’re talking about the pre-out voltage.

The models under the RX-A1080 (like A880, A780, etc.) had maximum voltage below 1.8 volts or something.

Hypothetically this might be an issue for people having amps with voltage gain under 28dB and needing over 200 watts. But I doubt that was a real-world problem since most people most likely don’t even need 50W or 100W, much less over 200W.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You’re talking about the pre-out voltage.

The models under the RX-A1080 (like A880, A780, etc.) had maximum voltage below 1.8 volts or something.

Hypothetically this might be an issue for people having amps with voltage gain under 28dB and needing over 200 watts. But I doubt that was a real-world problem since most people most likely don’t even need 50W or 100W, much less over 200W.
Thanks for hitting back and clarifying, A.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Attractive option at the $3k level. A few observations in reading through the manual; looks like no support for front wide channels, only one YAPO profile, no ability to “turn off” speaker outputs or selectable “pre-amp” mode a la D+M (specifically 8500/A110). Curious how this version of YAPO works, the PEQ section looks robust for those do it yourself types. Pretty cool they continue to include balanced pre-outs for LR channels and inputs for a source, hopefully they actually perform better than their singles ended counterparts and aren’t just jewelry.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Soooooo Gene.... When are you going to test the RX-A8A? It would be really cool if Audioholics beat Amir and the folks at ASR with the first review. Hopefully, Yamaha but some serious engineering behind their marketing department. As it stands now, the TOTL Marantz AVR is the one to beat in terms of audio performance/measurements.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis