Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
WHF isn’t a very good source for meaningful reviews. While I have visited their site many times in the past, they are too fluffy and I’ve never seen any true testing from them. When I do read anything from them it is with a healthy dose of skepticism.

More than ever, now, we need @gene ‘s review! Just seeing some of that discussion from the ASR link above is bordering on shocking and if proven true, supremely disappointing.
I am not looking at this from a pure measurement perspective, rather an engineering perspective.
Flaws like what are being discussed, if proven, SHOULD NOT EXIST in a quality product.

I’m dusting off my pitchforks and torches.
Can't wait for @gene review! He will probably help us all in what settings we should and should not use. I was pretty sure he said low frequency was pretty good but too much info that I might get confused where I heard that from lol

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
WHF isn’t a very good source for meaningful reviews. While I have visited their site many times in the past, they are too fluffy and I’ve never seen any true testing from them. When I do read anything from them it is with a healthy dose of skepticism.

More than ever, now, we need @gene ‘s review! Just seeing some of that discussion from the ASR link above is bordering on shocking and if proven true, supremely disappointing.
I am not looking at this from a pure measurement perspective, rather an engineering perspective.
Flaws like what are being discussed, if proven, SHOULD NOT EXIST in a quality product.

I’m dusting off my pitchforks and torches.
As I can't put multiple like, informative, and fun to you post, I reply : it's informative, fun, and I like it.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Can't wait for @gene review! He will probably help us all in what settings we should and should not use. I was pretty sure he said low frequency was pretty good but too much info that I might get confused where I heard that from lol
You can use any curve you want. There isn't one that's better than another, the flat one is supposed to correct your room in a "monitoring" way which means 128.23480928340Hz should sound 128.23480928340Hz, not 128.23480928339Hz. But other curves are making some part of the sound spectral more obvious or tone down, it's just a matter of taste, it's not "bad"
Edit: I am saying crap actually, it doesn't change the frequency, it just adapt the level at that frequency

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Lol, you gotta watch out for them Denon fan Boyz, :p after all, they gotta put fans on top of their AVR's. :p:cool:
Me liking my PC closed, without a glass panel on the side, with the less amount of fans possible and dreaming of passive cooling... I can't understand fans on an audio device

Me when my Denon AVC-A1D fan was switching on
1637770215870.png

Attachments

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Guy's, on the issues, with AVR'S. A6A, or Denon's run hot, as long as You like what you have that's all that matters I'm just messing around. But yeah the issues with the A6A, that's mentioned is a valid concern and I agree with @ryanosaur that shouldn't be, with a 2k AVR.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Photo of @ryanosaur :p when he got to close to his Denon,
View attachment 51762
Ha.
I don't own a Denon. :p

And you are missing my point.

This isn't about trashing Yamaha. I have been very careful to not be derisive to any of you guys. I may not agree with your choice of buying unproven and untested gear when the market has been so disrupted and uneven since the 2020 releases came out, but that is far and away a different story.
My concern is about the state of a major company releasing premium products that are not ready for prime time. The simple fact that the "wait for proof" standpoint is looking to be a solid one right now is what bothers me. I, too, wanted Yamaha to succeed here, as this would be a sign that the manufacturers are moving beyond the 2020 sh!tshow.
For those of you that are happy with your purchases, I am glad for you. But for $2200 or $3000, MSRP, the words "hardware flaw" should not be in any product description.

If you think I'm being overly harsh in my attitude about the state of modern consumerism and manufacturing, you are absolutely allowed your opinion, my friend. I will not apologize, however, for being concerned about my own ability to select within the next year an upgrade unit for myself which actually works and delivers on all the promises made by the manufacturer.

My Marantz is.

These 2021 Yamahas are not.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Ha.

This isn't about trashing Yamaha. I have been very careful to not be derisive to any of you guys. I may not agree with your choice of buying unproven and untested gear when the market has been so disrupted and uneven since the 2020 releases came out, but that is far and away a different story.
My concern is about the state of a major company releasing premium products that are not ready for prime time. The simple fact that the "wait for proof" standpoint is looking to be a solid one right now is what bothers me. I, too, wanted Yamaha to succeed here, as this would be a sign that the manufacturers are moving beyond the 2020 sh!tshow.
For those of you that are happy with your purchases, I am glad for you. But for $2200 or $3000, MSRP, the words "hardware flaw" should not be in any product description.

If you think I'm being overly harsh in my attitude about the state of modern consumerism and manufacturing, you are absolutely allowed your opinion, my friend. I will not apologize, however, for being concerned about my own ability to select within the next year an upgrade unit for myself which actually works and delivers on all the promises made by the manufacturer.

My Marantz is.

I know you don't have a Denon. I was just jacking with you bro. When you gonna finish up those amps you working on.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Ha.

My Marantz is.

It’s a total valid point of view. If there are some issues/major flaws it could be enough to avoid the 2021 lineup for some people

I will keep my A8A and then will get the even better A8B next year ;)

edit :was about to pour my floor stand with regular sand, but nope, I bought some BLACK sand to match my floor stand. Now it’s beautiful within my floor stand. Black sand sounds so better.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
It’s a total valid point of view. If there are some issues/major flaws it could be enough to avoid the 2021 lineup for some people

edit :was about to pour my floor stand with regular sand, but nope, I bought some BLACK sand to match my floor stand. Now it’s beautiful within my floor stand. Black sand sounds so better.
Yes indeed all valid points. I needed a AVR didn't have any, which is very unusual for me. I don't usually buy any 1st year released audio gear.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic

Yes indeed all valid points. I needed a AVR didn't have any, which is very unusual for me. I don't usually buy any 1st year released audio gear.
I made the same mistake by buying a 2016 Honda Pilot... The first ones of course get all the problems that eventually get fixed.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I made the same mistake by buying a 2016 Honda Pilot... The first ones of course get all the problems that eventually get fixed.
Oh, man I've had so many AVR'S that crapped out on me. TV's, Blu-ray player's. Speaking of car's, my Son just got his 60k 2019 truck out the shop doesn't have 20k miles on it. Defective brake booster had to be replaced was causing the brake light to pop on.

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
OMG... I think all things that go on the market for the last several years are almost equally not ready for that.

This whole thing made me wonder one thing: if Yamaha are not capable/willing of performing these tests by themselves (which I very much doubt) why they didn't give one test unit to Gene from AH and one to Amir from ASR to test it properly before it gets to the assembly line. This would have saved so much hassle and troubles now when the units are on the market...

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
OMG... I think all things that go on the market for the last several years are almost equally not ready for that.

This whole thing made me wonder one thing: if Yamaha are not capable/willing of performing these tests by themselves (which I very much doubt) why they didn't give one test unit to Gene from AH and one to Amir from ASR to test it properly before it gets to the assembly line. This would have saved so much hassle and troubles now when the units are on the market...
More than likely they don't want to stop production. If their like any other manufacturer which I'd bet they are they'll put out products knowing full well that they got issues with them. Gotta make the bucks.

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
More than likely they don't want to stop production. If their like any other manufacturer which I'd bet they are they'll put out products knowing full well that they got issues with them. Gotta make the bucks.
Well, actually I am talking about some time back in 2019 when these models were still in design phase and they were selling a good amount of the previous Aventage series. But yeah, I guess you are right - they don't care much about this anyways... :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Well, actually I am talking about some time back in 2019 when these models were still in design phase and they were selling a good amount of the previous Aventage series. But yeah, I guess you are right - they don't care much about this anyways... :D
Here the thing about all this. It isn't about the amp or pre amp. It most always seems to be with, HDMI, ARC, video something. Processing chips, maybe they got some bad coders or programmers working for them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis