2020 Yamaha AVRs w/Multiple HDMI 2.1 Ports

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
For many years, Harman/Kardon called their amplifiers various marketing terms...
  • Wide Bandwidth
  • High Current
The funny thing is for High Current they would publish a spec like 20 Amps but never disclose the actual testing conditions like How long? would the amplifier deliver the high current spec?? Maybe 50mS.. :rolleyes:

Regardless their marketing fluff sold alot of receivers and amplifiers. My personal listening experience with HK products was that they usually sounded pretty good when driving high resolution, quality loudspeakers.

Just my $0.02... ;)
H/K 3490 if I remember 120 X 2 into 8 Ohms
had pre-amp outs plus one Sub out with some bass management. In today's dollar value I'd say about right where Outlaws two channel unit is with the exception Outlaws two stereo receiver looks better.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Yamaha is hosting a livestream event at 5pm EST today to discuss their new 8K HDMI 2.1 AV receivers. You can view this event here: https://yamaha.io/avr827

yamaha-rxv.jpg

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
These are solid units for their price point, I did a little more research and they’re using great Burr Brown DAC’s as well. My biggest hope is this creates a little price war and Denon/Marantz prices come down a little.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
When are the 9 & 11 channel AVR's coming... that's all everyone in the world really cares about right now. I might for the first time ever consider buying a Yamaha AVR over Denon if it had multiple HDMI 2.1 inputs (at least 3) and at least 9 powered channels with true Atmos and DTS:X, not that simulated crap.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When are the 9 & 11 channel AVR's coming... that's all everyone in the world really cares about right now. I might for the first time ever consider buying a Yamaha AVR over Denon if it had multiple HDMI 2.1 inputs (at least 3) and at least 9 powered channels with true Atmos and DTS:X, not that simulated crap.
The ONLY reason is because of the 7 x HDMI 2.1 Inputs, not because Yamaha is #1 in reliability and compatibility or has the best WiFi Remote App? :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
These are solid units for their price point, I did a little more research and they’re using great Burr Brown DAC’s as well. My biggest hope is this creates a little price war and Denon/Marantz prices come down a little.
Most Yamaha units use the Sabre DACs, which are state of the art. Nobody is going to be able to hear any difference among these awesome DACs, whether they are Sabre or Burr-Brown.

As for pricing, Yamaha will most likely cost MORE than Denon because Yamaha doesn't discount much.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Most Yamaha units use the Sabre DACs, which are state of the art. Nobody is going to be able to hear any difference among these awesome DACs, whether they are Sabre or Burr-Brown.

As for pricing, Yamaha will most likely cost MORE than Denon because Yamaha doesn't discount much.
Fair enough. What I’m concerned with secondly is what Yamaha’s HDMI 2.1 spec actually is. I play first person shooters and latency and refresh rate are vitally important so if they get that right they’ll have a winner on their hands. I will wait for their higher end models though.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Fair enough. What I’m concerned with secondly is what Yamaha’s HDMI 2.1 spec actually is. I play first person shooters and latency and refresh rate are vitally important so if they get that right they’ll have a winner on their hands. I will wait for their higher end models though.
There is an excellent chance that Yamaha will get the HDMI 2.1 specifications correctly. Yamaha is the only audio brand that puts their products through the HDMI/HDCP certification lab. Also they maintain 1 of the most extensive HDMI component interoperability testing facility in the Orient.....

Just my $0.02... ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I see Dolby Height Virtualization mentioned on the V series (likely A series too). Does that mean Dolby will remove the center spread option on DSU like on Denon?

Also curious on watts /ch on the A series.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Regarding pricing...
Note that Denon/Marantz have 1 extra step in the pricing formula since since they use and must pay an outside subcontractor(Inkel) in Vietnam. But Yamaha owns their assembly facilities so the corporate beancounters can decide where the markup/profits are decided..... Again Denon has a broad distribution system is on a market building position so their end pricing could be more aggressive...

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Regarding pricing...
Note that Denon/Marantz have 1 extra step in the pricing formula since since they use and must pay an outside subcontractor(Inkel) in Vietnam. But Yamaha owns their assembly facilities so the corporate beancounters can decide where the markup/profits are decided..... Again Denon has a broad distribution system is on a market building position so their end pricing could be more aggressive...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Since DM have at least one extra step in the pricing, they should cost more.

Also DM have to pay license for Audyssey and Yamaha have their own YPAO.

Yet, somehow Denon manage to offer big discounts.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Since DM have at least one extra step in the pricing, they should cost more.
Most likely the Denon does cost more...

Also DM have to pay license for Audyssey and Yamaha have their own YPAO.
DM bought out the rights to Audyssey, no more royalties.
Yet, somehow Denon manage to offer big discounts.
Yamaha has a disciplined financial formula and controlled distribution system, they don't need to sell only on price but rather good quality/reliability and stable pricing so the distributor/dealer can make a profit. If Yamaha wanted to they could adjust pricing downward but in the end would likely make less $$. Also as long they sell enough pianos, musical instruments and motorcycles I surmise that is why Yamaha is the only surviving Japanese audio brand that hasn't been sold off..... :) :)

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most likely the Denon does cost more...

DM bought out the rights to Audyssey, no more royalties.

Yamaha has a disciplined financial formula and controlled distribution system, they don't need to sell only on price but rather good quality/reliability and stable pricing so the distributor/dealer can make a profit. If Yamaha wanted to they could adjust pricing downward but in the end would likely make less $$. Also as long they sell enough pianos, musical instruments and motorcycles I surmise that is why Yamaha is the only surviving Japanese audio brand that hasn't been sold off..... :) :)

Just my $0.02... ;)
Yeah, one of these days I have got to own that Yamaha Grand Piano!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I hope you get one of Yamaha's cars when you purchase one of their Grand Piano's. :D
Well, duh, naturally, the Yamaha Super Sport Car is 2nd on my to-do list. That's a given.:eek: :D

Last edited:
WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
The ONLY reason is because of the 7 x HDMI 2.1 Inputs, not because Yamaha is #1 in reliability and compatibility or has the best WiFi Remote App? :D
I've provided several Yamaha's to clients in assisted living facilities for their "media rooms" as well as owned one while also having been a long time Denon owner. Never had my socks knocked off and had more trouble than expected. After owning several Pioneer Elite's, Yamaha and now Denon, I'm pretty much committed to the Denon brand out of nearly 30 years of using different AVR's. If the new models of Yamaha have the connectivity I need while maintaining decent power and sound quality for my meager media/gaming room I'll consider it for the added HDMI 2.1 ports. My theater room will still be Denon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've provided several Yamaha's to clients in assisted living facilities for their "media rooms" as well as owned one while also having been a long time Denon owner. Never had my socks knocked off and had more trouble than expected. After owning several Pioneer Elite's, Yamaha and now Denon, I'm pretty much committed to the Denon brand out of nearly 30 years of using different AVR's. If the new models of Yamaha have the connectivity I need while maintaining decent power and sound quality for my meager media/gaming room I'll consider it for the added HDMI 2.1 ports. My theater room will still be Denon.
I do hope that Denon/Marantz and Yamaha will remain extremely reliable for everyone's sake.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
@CajunLB Has a Denon AVR also he Absolutely loves his Denon AVR. By the way CajunLB can't get back into his AH profile cause he lost his password. He ask to tell the AH members he still checks AH forum everyday and said to tell all the Denon fans Hi for him.
FCE9FD49-2AB5-401D-B098-1A090A303D6C.gif

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Are the hdmi ports on the new Yamahas HDMI 2.1 40Gbps like the Denon or 48Gbps like in the HDMI 2.1 spec?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis