2020 Yamaha AVRs w/Multiple HDMI 2.1 Ports

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Are the hdmi ports on the new Yamahas HDMI 2.1 40Gbps like the Denon or 48Gbps like in the HDMI 2.1 spec?
And that is the million dollar question. Unfortunately nobody knows yet. Unfortunately none of the 2020 TV is advertised as HDMI 2.1 actually are either.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
And that is the million dollar question. Unfortunately nobody knows yet. Unfortunately none of the 2020 TV is advertised as HDMI 2.1 actually are either.
The new Vizio 4ks have the real HDMI 2.1 with 48gbps.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yo
The new Vizio 4ks have the real HDMI 2.1 with 48gbps.
Your right the new 2020 Vizio's are 2.1 48gbps.
Funny you mention Vizio, i just happened to go into settings on my Vizio 4K and they just sent a update my Netflix app on it is now working again!! sweet!! Version 2.60.17-5 sweet!!

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
@gene

I was skimming through the Yamaha RX-V6A manual today and saw a few details related to your Dolby videos on YouTube.

I see on page 212 “NeuralX decoder does not work for Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Digital TrueHD signals. Select “Auto” or Dsur” for other sources”

Also on page 212 the new “Auto” surround setting says NeuralX is selected for DTS sources and Dolby Surround decoder is selected for everything else.

Another interesting detail is on page 213 you can still set center spread on and off on DSU. (Of course Dolby Height Virtualization is shown as coming in future firmware update so that could change)

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Hopefully Yamaha RX-V6A will be my next "Future" proof AVR. Yamaha did away with a bunch of out dated inputs cleaned up the back with just what is needed by today's users. At 599.00 for what the RX-V6A Is offering seems like Scaling down what use to be added with "Old" school inputs, like all those, video + L/R inputs are gone. The added HDMI's 8 is a lot plus the 100 X 2 @ 8 Ohms the RX-V6A going for $599.00 with a 2 year warranty. Seems like Yamaha is looking really good at the mid level AVR sets. Going to be very Interesting to see if Denon. Marantz or Onkyo, Sony can match that price

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
@gene
I see on page 212 “NeuralX decoder does not work for Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby Digital TrueHD signals. Select “Auto” or Dsur” for other sources”
Oh, that's not cool.

I use NeuralX on most things.

I was under the impression that Dolby no longer enforced this Restriction since there were so many complaints.

So I hope that part of information is wrong - they could have written that part prior to Dolby removing the restriction and Yamaha forgot to correct that info.

surfacetension

surfacetension

Audioholic Intern
I'd buy the RX-V6A immediately if only it had multichannel pre-outs, hell even just L/R/C.

surfacetension

surfacetension

Audioholic Intern
Yamahas V6A AVR has L/R main pre-amp outs. Hopefully it gets released soon.
Yeah I know that but I want multichannel out, not just L/R. I don't know of any receivers that do this but even if it just had a third center-channel pre-out I'd be happy with that, I don't see anything wrong w/ powering surrounds with the built-in amp.

I want to get a Monolith 3 channel amp if they're ever back in stock, but I hate the idea of powering L/R channels but not the center which has the same power handling, I'd have to boost the crap out of it in the AVR speaker settings.

As far as I know the cheapest 8K AVR w/ multichannel out is the Denon 3700, which is literally twice as expensive and the multichanel pre-outs are the only extra feature it has over the Yamaha that I care about, but only one 8K input which is pathetic, esp. for their price.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah I know that but I want multichannel out, not just L/R. I don't know of any receivers that do this but even if it just had a third center-channel pre-out I'd be happy with that, I don't see anything wrong w/ powering surrounds with the built-in amp.

I want to get a Monolith 3 channel amp if they're ever back in stock, but I hate the idea of powering L/R channels but not the center which has the same power handling, I'd have to boost the crap out of it in the AVR speaker settings.

As far as I know the cheapest 8K AVR w/ multichannel out is the Denon 3700, which is literally twice as expensive and the multichanel pre-outs are the only extra feature it has over the Yamaha that I care about, but only one 8K input which is pathetic, esp. for their price.
Do see your point, center channel also being the dominant channel in surround. Still though adding a two channel amp or two monoblock amps will take the load off of the power supply, Allowing the AVR amp to supply All it's power to center and surrounds.
My Yamaha 7790 has full pre amp outs I had Multi channel amp 200 X 5 sold it off cause I found that at Moderate listening levels I couldn't tell No difference. For my use I sit right at 8 ft from my 4K tv and center channel sits right under my TV. So In reality that 5 channel 200 X 5 was overkill didn't need it. Now for those who have larger rooms and sit back 10 ft or more may need a added amp or if there driving less Sensitive speakers. Yamaha has their a780 I believe has L/R mains pre amp outs so does their older 7850 their older 7810 has pre amp outs for all channels. But yeah I Definitely get it about adding a amp. With this hobby some even I just like Multi channel amps in our setups.

surfacetension

surfacetension

Audioholic Intern
Do see your point, center channel also being the dominant channel in surround. Still though adding a two channel amp or two monoblock amps will take the load off of the power supply, Allowing the AVR amp to supply All it's power to center and surrounds.
My Yamaha 7790 has full pre amp outs I had Multi channel amp 200 X 5 sold it off cause I found that at Moderate listening levels I couldn't tell No difference. For my use I sit right at 8 ft from my 4K tv and center channel sits right under my TV. So In reality that 5 channel 200 X 5 was overkill didn't need it. Now for those who have larger rooms and sit back 10 ft or more may need a added amp or if there driving less Sensitive speakers. Yamaha has their a780 I believe has L/R mains pre amp outs so does their older 7850 their older 7810 has pre amp outs for all channels. But yeah I Definitely get it about adding a amp. With this hobby some even I just like Multi channel amps in our setups.
So this has always been an issue I've battled back and forth with. Of course I want a nice set up but I always try to curb the desire to just be stupid and get something ridiculous and over the top, so I'm basically always trying to compromise with myself.

I live in a townhouse with an open living room/kitchen level, sitting position is about 10ft from speakers but it's in a large open room. My speakers take 20-200 watts, but I figure my 50wpc Marantz 1609 is providing maybe 35wpc driving 5 channels. Well within the minimum range, but far from optimal.

It sounds just fine, but I always hate that I have to crank the volume on the Marantz; my default power on volume is 55, out of 98. I usually use it between 45-65, but sometimes over 70 depending on the source (Apple TV is super low level for some reason).

It just always seems like I'm wringing it out, a 3x 200w external amp seems like a perfect solution, but my AVR only supports L/R pre-outs. If I were to ever get a new AVR now I would never consider buying one that was not future-proofed for the PS5/etc. so HDMI 2.1 is a must.

But the idea of paying double for a receiver just to have multi-channel pre-outs and only one 8K input just doesn't sit well with me, I would much rather get the external amp and just use it for L/R while waiting for new 8K models come in the next few years.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis