2020 Yamaha AVRs w/Multiple HDMI 2.1 Ports

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm probably wrong but I thought higher slew rate and dampening factor were more attributed to faster, cleaner transients and better woofer control?
IIRC, Damping Factor = Bass, Slew Rate = Treble.

So I think we want Damping Factor to be 200 or more and Slew Rate to be 30 V/ms or more. :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Wasn't meant to be. Was based off what I remember reading/hearing back in the 1980's. That's why I started the sentence with "I'm probably wrong".
No pun intended, wasn't making fun at your expense. On a audio forum you'll get a lot of opinions.

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
IIRC, Damping Factor = Bass, Slew Rate = Treble.

So I think we want Damping Factor to be 200 or more and Slew Rate to be 30 V/ms or more. :D
Yes, something like that. Saw it more in car audio specs and advertising back then. :)

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
No pun intended, wasn't make fun at your expense. On a audio forum you'll get a lot of opinions.
No worries. I just looked briefly the thread I think you were referring to. Will have to circle back when I have more time to read it. Interesting stuff. Thanks.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, something like that. Saw it more in car audio specs and advertising back then. :)
I think Harman Kardon used to brag about their slew rate in their AVRs. I guess now it's Yamaha's turn. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds like the upcoming Xbox series X console and PS5 console are going to actually need HDMI 2.1. That would be the main reason to think about HDMI 2.1 in the near future.

Also HDR10+ is on the newer Samsung TVs. The new AVRs will support HDR10+ for those Samsung TV owners.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Well, I forgot to mention that the $29,000 pre-pro has magic built-in. It can take the worse sound and turn it into the most beautiful sound. Your room could be made of glass and it will make your room sound like the best acoustic sounding room. Oh, and it will also do your dishes, vacuum your house, and fold your laundry. :eek: :D

Oh, and it also includes a free upgrade to Windows-20. :D
I will say I've been learning more about Trinnov over the last few months. I've known about their products, but not them as a company. Found out last night that DTS:X was created using a Trinnov. That Trinnov has worked hand in hand with DTS, Dolby and others before anybody else to help create these new wonderful sound upgrades we all get to experience. So even though Trinnov products don't currently have HDMI 2.1, they are in the process of making the additional HDMI 2.1 boards for owners of the Altitudes or other products. It's a simple swap out process. Everything else associated with Trinnov can be done via a software upgrade.

I might need to get two Altitude 32's!! I need 64 speakers in my theater! I need the hear every minor detail in movies. Totally worth the $60k.haha! :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
No worries. I just looked briefly the thread I think you were referring to. Will have to circle back when I have more time to read it. Interesting stuff. Thanks.
There you go! In "reference" Like Gene, would say, it isn't easy trying to Explain audio Terminology. "Lame-man" ;) terms. But than again Gene's, Sense of humor may not necessarily represent my sense of humor. That's why I suggested ask Gene or Bruno. Short answer 100 bucks that's what Audio Engineers cost per hour.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
For those who are interested...
To learn more about the new RX-V series and capabilities, Yamaha is hosting a webinar, open to the public, on Thursday, August 27 at 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific. See what’s in store and register here: Yamaha.io/avr827.

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I will say I've been learning more about Trinnov over the last few months. I've known about their products, but not them as a company. Found out last night that DTS:X was created using a Trinnov. That Trinnov has worked hand in hand with DTS, Dolby and others before anybody else to help create these new wonderful sound upgrades we all get to experience. So even though Trinnov products don't currently have HDMI 2.1, they are in the process of making the additional HDMI 2.1 boards for owners of the Altitudes or other products. It's a simple swap out process. Everything else associated with Trinnov can be done via a software upgrade.

I might need to get two Altitude 32's!! I need 64 speakers in my theater! I need the hear every minor detail in movies. Totally worth the $60k.haha! :D
For that much money, they better give me HDMI 2.2 for 16K Video. :eek: :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I think Harman Kardon used to brag about their slew rate in their AVRs. I guess now it's Yamaha's turn. :D
LMAO!! I see you caught that to huh.:D lolo I shouldn't have posted up my comment about Marketing terminology. lolo made me look to smart. lmao. From now on I'll just post, Schedule a one hour phone consultation with Gene.:D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, didn't HK used to call their AVRs "high current" or something like that?
High-Current, low-Negative "feedback" read Article @Bruno P. , make note, or call @gene :D . 25-amp headroom, 35 amp headroom, sounds better because its Analog, < Not a proven fact.:)
My Favorite was by Emotiva's Marketing guys. Re-Defining high end.:eek: Or was it re-defining how you think of high end audioo_O

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
High-Current, low-Negative feedback, 25-amp headroom 35 amp headroom, sounds better because its Analog.
My Favorite was by Emotiva's Marketing guys. Re-Defining high end.
Emotiva redefined "high-end", did they? :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Emotiva redefined "high-end", did they? :D
Can't really say, last time I posted up that Emotiva, "re-defined high-end" in my first profile back in 2012 I got banned by You when You was a Moderator for Genes website. :p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Can't really say, last time I posted up that Emotiva, "re-defined high-end" in my first profile back in 2012 I got banned by You when You was a Moderator for Genes website. :p
Haha. Very funny. I would not have banned you for something like that when I was an AH moderator. :D

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
For many years, Harman/Kardon called their amplifiers various marketing terms...
  • Wide Bandwidth
  • High Current
The funny thing is for High Current they would publish a spec like 20 Amps but never disclose the actual testing conditions like How long? would the amplifier deliver the high current spec?? Maybe 50mS.. :rolleyes:

Regardless their marketing fluff sold alot of receivers and amplifiers. My personal listening experience with HK products was that they usually sounded pretty good when driving high resolution, quality loudspeakers.

Just my $0.02... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis