Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah I know the tv will go into screen saver mode automatically but if the song changes then it wont
Yeah I wouldn't chance it though, not with a OLED. From what I've read up on OLED's about a 5 year life on the panel anyways. Over time they start to get dimmer. Any truth to that?

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Just for information, you won't be able to use hdmi 2.1 features with your in wall hdmi wiring (unless it's a very expensive 48gbps optical extender). I had a hard time plugging my PC to my TV in order to get 4K 120Hz VRR HDR all together. It took me a FiverCommand optical cable to get this working (100 feet long). But it's really cool that you have pre wired with dmi cables.I wish my house have being prepared for home cinema (it wasn't at all, my living room was a pool room before).
Yeah I only have cheap hdmi cables going through the wall. It's more for the firestick with IPTV to play on all our tv's. The main zone (basement) has the Xbox series x and where all the movies and good stuff will be played.

Cant wait until the hdmi 2.1 firmware comes out. Forza horizon 5 doesn't use 120 fps so it doesn't matter yet.

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
I just got the new firestick 4k max. My goal with it is to use it on all 3 hdmi out zones. So one for my main zone (basement), living room and bedroom. I was lucky to put hdmi cables through the walls while the house was being built. When I use the fire tv app remote it turns my tv on in the basement. I had to go into the firetv and turn off hdmi CEC. Then it doesn't turn on my tv.

Maybe AppleTV has same stuff in it.

Also owning an LG OLED, if I am playing music I don't always want the tv on, to prevent burn in, when playing music. So sometimes the hdmi control is annoying
I think I saw somewhere in the manuals a setting for passthrough option for the HDMI inputs so that it does not turn on the TV every time but you need to play with it.

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
Yeah I wouldn't chance it though, not with a OLED. From what I've read up on OLED's about a 5 year life on the panel anyways. Over time they start to get dimmer. Any truth to that?
I own LG OLED 55C1. There are 30.000 hours of functioning for the panel before dimming. I already have 2600 in 6 months.

Falstaff

Falstaff

Audioholic Intern
I think your model will say how hot the unit is running. I have about 3-4 inches of space in my cabinet. I was thinking of getting that exact model but it's not too hot but what do I know
You’re correct. The A8A isn’t particularly hot. In my application the fan works well. I set it to 27 degrees Celsius just to see what would happen. It took about 30 minutes for the AVR to reach that, then the fan kicked in. It ran on the lowest fan setting and kept the temperature right at 27 for the next 90 minutes. The fan sound was lower than the projector fans, so if it weren’t for the display, I wouldn’t have known it was doing it’s job. After I shut everything down, the temperature inside the cabinet was so cool, you wouldn’t have known I’d been watching something for 2 hours.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
You’re correct. The A8A isn’t particularly hot. In my application the fan works well. I set it to 27 degrees Celsius just to see what would happen. It took about 30 minutes for the AVR to reach that, then the fan kicked in. It ran on the lowest fan setting and kept the temperature right at 27 for the next 90 minutes. The fan sound was lower than the projector fans, so if it weren’t for the display, I wouldn’t have known it was doing it’s job. After I shut everything down, the temperature inside the cabinet was so cool, you wouldn’t have known I’d been watching something for 2 hours.
Yeah!! Shout out! To all of the owner's of the new Aventage line enjoying that awesome Yamaha sound!! Yamaha Minions unite! :D

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Yeah I know the tv will go into screen saver mode automatically but if the song changes then it wont
Oh, really. Did not know that. Is this playback on TV's speakers or soundbar attached to it or different audio in other zones?

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
I've never used fans on my AVRs. I forget if it was my Anthem MRX500 or the NAD (model forgotten) which got so hot you could cook your breakfast on it. Didn't seem to do them any harm.

I ran my A8A quite hard a couple of nights ago, playing pretty loud music. Checked the temps with an infrared thermometer. The top of the unit at the front never went above 32C, though at the back it reached around 42C. I'd have expected it to be the other way round - as the actual amps are at the front - either side of the transformer.

Out of curiosity, just measured my A2080 and that's at similar temperature despite light load at the moment.

Both are in open-backed cabinets with two inches at each side and above. The rear of each extends a couple of inches beyond the back into free air. :)

Last edited:
Falstaff

Falstaff

Audioholic Intern
I've never used fans on my AVRs. I forget if it was my Anthem MRX500 or the NAD (model forgotten) which got so hot you could cook your breakfast on it. Didn't seem to do them any harm.

I ran my A8A quite hard a couple of nights ago, playing pretty loud music. Checked the temps with an infrared thermometer. The top of the unit at the front never went above 32C, though at the back it reached around 42C. I'd have expected it to be the other way round - as the actual amps are at the front - either side of the transformer.

Out of curiosity, just measured my A2080 and that's at similar temperature despite light load at the moment.

Both are in open-backed cabinets with an inch and a half at each side and a couple of inches above. The rear of each extends a couple of inches beyond the back into free air. :)
If it wasn’t for the fact that my projector—and the next one I’m currently saving up for—have their intakes in the rear, I doubt I’d need this fan. I designed that cabinet with space behind the shelves to allow the cables to run up and down, but that also allows the heat to rise right to the projector. To combat that, I’d simply open the rear door a crack to allow fresh air in, but with the fan, I no longer have to do that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As far as heat goes, Gene did do some testing for those of us who use separate amps and eco mode has no effect on the preouts for a separate amp. So I do use eco mode now and my avr never gets hot anymore. It runs lukewarm to the touch in eco mode.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Tuning two subs is wayyyyyy more complex than one :)
Slowly converging to the right crossover/high level settings. Spending my time counting "clicks" on the Rel subwoofers buttons

Edit : I also start to get the "don't put it in a cabinet" as when I am standing at my listening position I have a lot more bass than when seating at my listening position

Who told me "acoustic is a bitch" ? Yes I agree.
My living room "clean" layout is about to be wiped because of acoustic :p

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Tuning two subs is wayyyyyy more complex than one :)
Slowly converging to the right crossover/high level settings. Spending my time counting "clicks" on the Rel subwoofers buttons
You got a SPL meter? Does a much better job than any RC

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis