Monoprice Monolith 10” THX Select and 12” THX Ultra Subwoofers Review

F

FlyingBoat

Audiophyte
Its for $675 because through the 29th there is a $125 off $500 monoprice coupon code that this works on.

P

Prolix

Enthusiast
I'm considering getting dual Monolith 10s vs a single PB-2000 Pro. With the Monoliths I'm concerned about the relatively high distortion through the midbass (is it audible?) and the relatively low peak midbass output. With the SVS I'm concerned about the high group delay and missing out on dual subs. Basement cave is 12x20x7 and I usually find reference level far too loud so am thinking with the dual monoliths I'll rarely push into the high distortion zone. Thoughts? Other options?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm considering getting dual Monolith 10s vs a single PB-2000 Pro. With the Monoliths I'm concerned about the relatively high distortion through the midbass (is it audible?) and the relatively low peak midbass output. With the SVS I'm concerned about the high group delay and missing out on dual subs. Basement cave is 12x20x7 and I usually find reference level far too loud so am thinking with the dual monoliths I'll rarely push into the high distortion zone. Thoughts? Other options?
Your concerns about group delay and distortion are unwarranted. Neither are at levels that are audible. Between those two choices, I would go for the Monolith subs because multiple subs can yield a flatter response which means better sound quality - but only if you take the time to set them up correctly.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
James @shadyJ

What do you think about dual SVS PB-2000pros vs dual Monolith 12s? I currently own the two PB-2000s pros and i was wondering about the monolith instead. I'm not concerned about the app with the SVS, since i set it once and forget it. I have a custom wall opening and cant fit anything much bigger

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
James @shadyJ

What do you think about dual SVS PB-2000pros vs dual Monolith 12s? I currently own the two PB-2000s pros and i was wondering about the monolith instead. I'm not concerned about the app with the SVS, since i set it once and forget it. I have a custom wall opening and cant fit anything much bigger

Thanks!
Without looking at the measurements, just what would you expect to gain by that switch particularly? Do you have other uses for the SVS subs and just want to experiment?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
IMHO "Horizontal change", meaning changing to something similar in performance may be waste of money. If I change something, it would be to getting a product significantly better :cool:

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
James @shadyJ

Thanks!
The 2000Pros are pretty darn good. I don't think you would gain much, maybe a bit more power at the low end. The Monolith 12"s are also larger and MUCH heavier.

M

McRibHunter

Audiophyte
Whats the basic Monolith 12" settings people are starting at on the sub itself

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Whats the basic Monolith 12" settings people are starting at on the sub itself
Try: Phase set to 0 degrees, Level set to 0 dB, Crossover switch set to THX (off), EQ switch to extended, and power switch to auto-on.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis