Monoprice Monolith 10, 12 and 15-inch Subwoofer Review

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The sealed v.s. ported discussion can go on for decades I assume.
Not once people stop subscribing to audio dogma like its religion. Our very own Subwoofer Tester here at AH Is on record, many times over, refuting that very myth.
Regardless, there are places for sealed Subs and Ported. When well designed, they will all perform quite well.
Keep in mind, a Passive Radiator is more akin to a Ported Sub rather than Sealed. The cabinet will need to be designed as if it were ported, but the PRs will help minimize cabinet size because you do not need to account for the volume of the ports themselves in the building of the cabinet, however they will roll-off slightly higher and at a steeper slope.
;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
On the Shad-a-holic scale of Subwoofer weight parameters, this was a whopping 2.13 Shadys. While he has been known to accept for review some Subwoofers weighing in as much as 1.47 Shadys, it is preferred that they not exceed 1.05 Shadys with bonus points being awarded to those in the sweet spot of .70-.85 Shadys.

20 Wait What Memes For When You Ran Out of Words to Say - SayingImages.com

;) :p :cool:
Post of the month!

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Not once people stop subscribing to audio dogma like its religion. Our very own Subwoofer Tester here at AH Is on record, many times over, refuting that very myth.
Regardless, there are places for sealed Subs and Ported. When well designed, they will all perform quite well.
Keep in mind, a Passive Radiator is more akin to a Ported Sub rather than Sealed. The cabinet will need to be designed as if it were ported, but the PRs will help minimize cabinet size because you do not need to account for the volume of the ports themselves in the building of the cabinet, however they will roll-off slightly higher and at a steeper slope.
;)
I am not aware of any religious fight. Over her in Norway I don´t see anything like this. It´s about the execution of the design.... A really well designed subwoofer will do the job, whether it´s sealed or ported, transmission line or passive radiator... (arghhhhhhh: I don´t have space for TL subs)

The one major tendency to disagreements I can see where I live is the controversy between DIY´ers and not-DIY´ers where some in the first camp insist that DIY is the only way to go while the latter claim they will not get close to the performance of a commercial design. I think, however this is more of a friendly fight than an ugly one. However there are some DIY´ers in here at AH that made simply stunning speaker and sub systems that you will just not find as commercial products... ref those stunning TL subwoofers :cool:

But this has nothing to do with the Monolith, so sorry guys if I am getting off track... The point from me jumping into the thread is that these subwoofers seem to be priced at a level where DIY maybe doesn´t really make that much sense, there seem to be not to much to save. The quality of the drivers and the execution seem to be astounding at this price level, but I can´t say for sure as I have only seen the photos and not in real life. But I would really like to see and hear them.... No overseas distribution though!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am not aware of any religious fight. Over her in Norway I don´t see anything like this. It´s about the execution of the design.... A really well designed subwoofer will do the job, whether it´s sealed or ported, transmission line or passive radiator... (arghhhhhhh: I don´t have space for TL subs)

The one major tendency to disagreements I can see where I live is the controversy between DIY´ers and not-DIY´ers where some in the first camp insist that DIY is the only way to go while the latter claim they will not get close to the performance of a commercial design. I think, however this is more of a friendly fight than an ugly one. However there are some DIY´ers in here at AH that made simply stunning speaker and sub systems that you will just not find as commercial products... ref those stunning TL subwoofers :cool:

But this has nothing to do with the Monolith, so sorry guys if I am getting off track... The point from me jumping into the thread is that these subwoofers seem to be priced at a level where DIY maybe doesn´t really make that much sense, there seem to be not to much to save. The quality of the drivers and the execution seem to be astounding at this price level, but I can´t say for sure as I have only seen the photos and not in real life. But I would really like to see and hear them.... No overseas distribution though!
What about your home grown Arendal speakers/subs?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis