Monoprice Monolith 10” THX Select and 12” THX Ultra Subwoofers Review

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Looking at the of specs these Monolith subs not that impressive. Comparing to svs 2000. Or i am missing something???

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Looking at the of specs these Monolith subs not that impressive. Comparing to svs 2000. Or i am missing something???
Yeah there really a lot alike I went with the SVS I got too impatient for the reviews one advantage I'll give Monolith is the inputs XLR in outs and line in and outs. Never seen that in this price range the SVS 2000 doesn't have that and it's gonna be a pain in my ass when I want to add on subs and go to complete preamp and separates. I'll have to upgrade my subs then. Better subs I won't be crying but my goal is to have quad subs and I thought Monoprice offering all those connects was a nice touch that I wish they'd do with the SVS 2000's. I agree with your point tho I guess they weren't trying to outdo that level just be as competitive. It might be too expensive for em otherwise just a guess on my part

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Yeah there really a lot alike I went with the SVS I got too impatient for the reviews one advantage I'll give Monolith is the inputs XLR in outs and line in and outs. Never seen that in this price range the SVS 2000 doesn't have that and it's gonna be a pain in my ass when I want to add on subs and go to complete preamp and separates. I'll have to upgrade my subs then. Better subs I won't be crying but my goal is to have quad subs and I thought Monoprice offering all those connects was a nice touch that I wish they'd do with the SVS 2000's. I agree with your point tho I guess they weren't trying to outdo that level just be as competitive. It might be too expensive for em other wise just a guess on my part
Freq range is not impressing. And all -6db. Svs is better in this. The only benefit is the price.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Freq range is not impressing. And all -6db. Svs is better in this. The only benefit is the price.
You've brought up something I've been meaning to ask I'm understanding I think +- 3db but what the heck is -6db what does it really mean for real world performance? And why would they post it since +-3db is kind off the standard it's kind off confusing to me

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You've brought up something I've been meaning to ask I'm understanding I think +- 3db but what the heck is -6db what does it really mean for real world performance? And why would they post it since +-3db is kind off the standard it's kind off confusing to me
-6dB means the same thing as +/-3dB. +/-3dB isn't really a standard of any kind, its just a frequently used window. It isn't all that useful since it allows 6dB swings in response anyway.

The nominal response isn't really worse than that of the SVS subwoofer. it doesn't remain as flat down to low frequencies as the SVS, since it places more emphasis on 25Hz+ range. But in its extended mode, its not really that far off from the SVS 2000 subs. Here is a comparison of the PC-2000 nominal response vs the 12" THX Ultra nominal response in extended EQ mode with one port sealed (purple curve is PC-2000, green curve is Monolith 12):

In terms of extension, they are about the same, with maybe a tiny edge going to the 12" THX Ultra. They just have somewhat different response shapes. The SVS sub places a bit more emphasis on deep bass. I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, they are just different target curves. Remember this is nominal response and not maximum output response.

Matthew J Poes

Matthew J Poes

Audioholic Chief
Staff member
Nice review James. A very nice investigation of these subs capabilities, and likewise, I look forward to more.

I think you need to borrow my DVD-A disc of Bach's Toccata et Fugue. I'll be shocked if you still walk away thinking either is fine for the organ music or even if the 12 is enough. I've never found a subwoofer that reproduced that disc very accurately. Maybe Mike's four 21's could do so.

How do your CEA numbers compare to these:
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sv-sound-svs-sb-pb-2000
on the SVS you all are discussing here?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Nice review James. A very nice investigation of these subs capabilities, and likewise, I look forward to more.

I think you need to borrow my DVD-A disc of Bach's Toccata et Fugue. I'll be shocked if you still walk away thinking either is fine for the organ music or even if the 12 is enough. I've never found a subwoofer that reproduced that disc very accurately. Maybe Mike's four 21's could do so.

How do your CEA numbers compare to these:
https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sv-sound-svs-sb-pb-2000
on the SVS you all are discussing here?
Unless that recording of Toccata is using one of those crazy organs with a 64' pipe, I think there are some good subs out there that are up to the task. You will need a vented sub with a 16 Hz tuning frequency though, or a really heavy-duty sealed like that Deep Sea Sound 24".

If you are asking about my measurements for the PC-2000 vs those measurements of the PB-2000, they are close on face value, mostly around a 1 dB difference with my measurements capturing just a bit more output. However, the measurements I posted were done with the woofer facing the mic. When I measured with port facing the mic, I get quite a bit more deep bass and quite a bit less midbass output, whereas the PB-2000 of that review has both the port and woofer facing the mic, so our measurements aren't as close as it would seem, given that the PB-2000 and PC-2000 will have nearly identical performance in actuality.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
-6dB means the same thing as +/-3dB. +/-3dB isn't really a standard of any kind, its just a frequently used window. It isn't all that useful since it allows 6dB swings in response anyway.

The nominal response isn't really worse than that of the SVS subwoofer. it doesn't remain as flat down to low frequencies as the SVS, since it places more emphasis on 25Hz+ range. But in its extended mode, its not really that far off from the SVS 2000 subs. Here is a comparison of the PC-2000 nominal response vs the 12" THX Ultra nominal response in extended EQ mode with one port sealed (purple curve is PC-2000, green curve is Monolith 12):

In terms of extension, they are about the same, with maybe a tiny edge going to the 12" THX Ultra. They just have somewhat different response shapes. The SVS sub places a bit more emphasis on deep bass. I wouldn't say that one is better than the other, they are just different target curves. Remember this is nominal response and not maximum output response.
Thanks for clarifying that makes a lot more sense now

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m curious how a near field sub placement works. Is this directly in front of you? I mostly see subs in the corner or mid wall.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I’m curious how a near field sub placement works. Is this directly in front of you? I mostly see subs in the corner or mid wall.
Near-field placement just means that the sub is very close to the listening position, so close that the listener is going to experience a lot more direct energy from the sub before it dissipates with distance or turns into reflections. I have the subs directly behind the listening position (they are behind my sofa facing in toward the seating), but you could place them in front of the listening position or right beside the listening position, if that works. The best place really is that which gets you the flattest response, and for me, in my room and seating position, that happens to be right behind the seat.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Near-field placement just means that the sub is very close to the listening position, so close that the listener is going to experience a lot more direct energy from the sub before it dissipates with distance or turns into reflections. I have the subs directly behind the listening position (they are behind my sofa facing in toward the seating), but you could place them in front of the listening position or right beside the listening position, if that works. The best place really is that which gets you the flattest response, and for me, in my room and seating position, that happens to be right behind the seat.
Shady,
Have you had experience with those bass shakers that we fix to a seat?
I might be interested in getting one or two to fix to a love seat. It would have to be the kind that will have a response to 16 Hz for pipe organ listening. As you probably already know, my three front speakers can reproduce frequencies that low:
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/my-7-channel-system.111234/

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady,
Have you had experience with those bass shakers that we fix to a seat?
I might be interested in getting one or two to fix to a love seat. It would have to be the kind that will have a response to 16 Hz for pipe organ listening. As you probably already know, my three front speakers can reproduce frequencies that low:
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/my-7-channel-system.111234/
No experience with those. I have talked to Dayton about reviewing one of their less expensive sets, though, and maybe something will come of that later this year, but nothing is planned right now.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

What are your thoughts on comparing the monolith to Hsu and SVS on ability to tune the response?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What are your thoughts on comparing the monolith to Hsu and SVS on ability to tune the response?
To be honest, the effects of variable tuning mostly ends up being only a subtle difference. The only sub that it ever made a big difference was the VTF-1 mk3, and that was because the trade-off happened in a frequency range that is a lot more audibly appreciable. Mostly variable tuning changes the extension from the low 20s to the upper teens, and that is just not a dramatic difference. Overall I like variable tuning as a user (but hate it as a reviewer- every mode is like a different subwoofer that I have to measure) and consider it one of the more useful features that a subwoofer can have.

I will say that an advantage that the monolith sub has is that it can safely be run in any EQ mode with any port sealing configuration. On most variable tuned subs, if you leave all the ports open, you need to adjust the amp to the correct EQ setting, or else the woofer can be overdriven below the tuning point. With the Hsu and SVS (and I believe Rythmik) subs, you can overdrive the subs when the ports were open without the correct EQ setting. But, I would also say that the variable tuning on the Hsu and SVS subs made a more substantial difference, at least in the measurements. The extension difference on the Monolith 12" isn't as great, and the change looks to be more a matter of response curve shape.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I am absolutely stunned what what Monoprice delivers here, and I decided to try to order two Monolith 12", but to have these delivered to Norway is a major challenge.... UPS Shipping cost is almost $2000 o_O

Well, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de is carrying Monoprice line, so now I made a request to Amazon.co.uk to stock the Monolith subs, so hopefully it is possible to have them shipped from within Europe boundaries. It's not over until the fat lady sings :p

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I am absolutely stunned what what Monoprice delivers here, and I decided to try to order two Monolith 12", but to have these delivered to Norway is a major challenge.... UPS Shipping cost is almost $2000 o_O

Well, Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.de is carrying Monoprice line, so now I made a request to Amazon.co.uk to stock the Monolith subs, so hopefully it is possible to have them shipped from within Europe boundaries. It's not over until the fat lady sings :p
You should check out the XTZ cinema series subs if you like the Monolith THX subs. The XTZ Cinema series, the 1X12 and 3X12, are also THX certified, and are designed by the same ODM, Claridy Audio. They will have a lot in common with the Monolith subs, but probably a whole lot cheaper for you. The 3X12 in particular is a very powerful sub that I doubt the Monolith 15" THX Ultra could even keep up with. Only problem is its something like 80 kg.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Thx, but somehow i am skeptical to the XTZ's as they seem to use drivers with stamped steel, rather than cast, but I agree that in General XTZ seem to deliver a lot for the money, not only in subs but also in the Divine series of speakers.

There is also the locals.... Arendal sound
Anyways, there is also SVS and JL Audio dealerships here, so it's not that there is a lack of choice ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thx, but somehow i am skeptical to the XTZ's as they seem to use drivers with stamped steel, rather than cast, but I agree that in General XTZ seem to deliver a lot for the money, not only in subs but also in the Divine series of speakers.

There is also the locals.... Arendal sound
Anyways, there is also SVS and JL Audio dealerships here, so it's not that there is a lack of choice ;)
Stamped steel doesn't matter that much for these types of subs. Besides, the drivers have been altered recently to conform to THX parts specification.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Stamped steel doesn't matter that much for these types of subs. Besides, the drivers have been altered recently to conform to THX parts specification.
Thx a lot, then I should look at the Arendal Sound subs.... the Arendal Sound 1723 sub 2 with double 13.3" drivers back to back supposedly betters the JL Audio Fathom F113 at half the price

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis