Monoprice Monolith 10, 12 and 15-inch Subwoofer Review

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Audioholic
Good evening, just a few questions. Why does your max spl numbers differ so greatly from James’ review? I know sometimes small changes happen from testing, but you got a good jump. Really I’m talking about the 12” version. Which I just bought for my master bedroom setup. Looks like you’re 3-4 dB higher all the way up in thx mode 2 ports open. Thanks

A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
Another Wishy Washy member :(

Believe me the Sub you purchased is awesome.
Any yet another unhelpful, purposefully antagonistic comment from a no life member. Seriously people we need to start pushing back against certain people in this forum who behave this way. Seriously, does anyone think this comment or comments like it are useful or warranted? This guy in particular is an everyday all day offender. Seems to find some sad and depressing joy in belittling people who come here to ask questions in a seemingly futile attempt to impress his imaginary forum buddies.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good evening, just a few questions. Why does your max spl numbers differ so greatly from James’ review? I know sometimes small changes happen from testing, but you got a good jump. Really I’m talking about the 12” version. Which I just bought for my master bedroom setup. Looks like you’re 3-4 dB higher all the way up in thx mode 2 ports open. Thanks
They both seem to be the same standard, wonder if this is the difference between the Klippel testing and shadyJ's outdoor method?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Erin posts his numbers with a 2 meter peak scale. My numbers are scaled to 2 meter RMS. The difference is simply that I subtract 3dB from my numbers since this is the way most other subwoofer reviewer/testers have traditionally stated their data. That doesn't explain all the differences that we see, but it does explain most of it.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic Chief
I have a video discussing my measurement method. It's bulletproof.

As James said, we have different values because the numbers are referenced differently. I actually state this in my spreadsheet at the top of each results' sheet.

Then there are various effects of the environment, test method, etc that can cause differences. I have noticed differences between mine, James', and Brent Butterworth's tests but on a whole they generally seem to be comparable.

NeilBlanchard

NeilBlanchard

Audiophyte
No listening tests in the review? No comparison of use for music and movies?

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis