Monoprice Monolith 10” THX Select and 12” THX Ultra Subwoofers Review

P

PandaRock

Audiophyte
I'm just starting to take my surround sound setup more seriously (i.e., I'm an audio newbie) and I really LOVE the reviews on this site. I'm looking to upgrade from my little Boston Acoustics XS sub (8" 100w) with a budget of $500. The Mono 10" seems fantastic, but I'm not sure if I should get that or the VTF-2 MK5 (for $539 if I pick it up from HSU).

I use my sub about 70% for video games and movies/premium TV and 30% for music (a lot of which is bass heavy electronic/ambient music with 808s and low frequency synths [I checked out Between Interval based on this Mono 10" review and love him!]). My seating area is probably 3700 cubic ft + openings to adjacent areas, but I have a fairly small house and lot and neighbors, so, unfortunately, I'm likely not going to listen to my audio SUPER loud very often, so I'm not needing/expecting a Dolby Cinema/IMAX type experience. However, for my budget and to the extent my neighbors won't want to kill me, I'd like to feel the explosions and feel and hear the low frequencies in my music without hearing much distortion (I feel my current 8" 100w sub a little bit a higher volumes, but I know I'm missing out on the lower frequencies and it never really "hits" me).

Not being very knowledgeable about this stuff, I can't decide if I'm better off with the Monolith 10" (for $500, but not avail until at least early-mid Sept) or the VTF 2 MK5 (for $539 + a pain-in-the-ass, but doable, trip to and from HSU HQ). What do you experts think/recommend?

Thank you so much!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would go with the 12in HSU over the 10in Monolith. Both are great choices but output will be better with the 12in. Good luck! :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm just starting to take my surround sound setup more seriously (i.e., I'm an audio newbie) and I really LOVE the reviews on this site. I'm looking to upgrade from my little Boston Acoustics XS sub (8" 100w) with a budget of $500. The Mono 10" seems fantastic, but I'm not sure if I should get that or the VTF-2 MK5 (for $539 if I pick it up from HSU).

I use my sub about 70% for video games and movies/premium TV and 30% for music (a lot of which is bass heavy electronic/ambient music with 808s and low frequency synths [I checked out Between Interval based on this Mono 10" review and love him!]). My seating area is probably 3700 cubic ft + openings to adjacent areas, but I have a fairly small house and lot and neighbors, so, unfortunately, I'm likely not going to listen to my audio SUPER loud very often, so I'm not needing/expecting a Dolby Cinema/IMAX type experience. However, for my budget and to the extent my neighbors won't want to kill me, I'd like to feel the explosions and feel and hear the low frequencies in my music without hearing much distortion (I feel my current 8" 100w sub a little bit a higher volumes, but I know I'm missing out on the lower frequencies and it never really "hits" me).

Not being very knowledgeable about this stuff, I can't decide if I'm better off with the Monolith 10" (for $500, but not avail until at least early-mid Sept) or the VTF 2 MK5 (for $539 + a pain-in-the-ass, but doable, trip to and from HSU HQ). What do you experts think/recommend?

Thank you so much!
Both are great subwoofers. The Monolith subs have a heavier-duty build quality (the build on that 10" driver is madness, especially for the price), but the Hsu subs do get louder, and the VTF-2 will dig deeper. Both have very good sound quality. I think I would just go for the Hsu since the Monoprice sub is going to be out of stock for so long. You would be happy with either one.

By the way, glad you enjoyed Between Interval!

P

PandaRock

Audiophyte
Thanks, guys! This advice is very helpful. I think I'm going to try to get the HSU (and find a way to drive down there to pick it up). Can't wait to try it out!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks, guys! This advice is very helpful. I think I'm going to try to get the HSU (and find a way to drive down there to pick it up). Can't wait to try it out!
Given he cost of gas and the time driving (don't know how long a drive it is for you), I would call ahead and see if they have a demonstration room you can check out.
If they do, you can be pretty sure they will have it very well set up and tuned and it is a good experience to listen to a great set up to compare to your own.
You might as well kill 2 birds with one trip!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Given he cost of gas and the time driving (don't know how long a drive it is for you), I would call ahead and see if they have a demonstration room you can check out.
If they do, you can be pretty sure they will have it very well set up and tuned and it is a good experience to listen to a great set up to compare to your own.
You might as well kill 2 birds with one trip!
Hsu does have a demo room. They do want people to call ahead and schedule an appointment for it though. Arrange a demo, and ask them to turn on the VTF-3 or VTF-15h as well. Those things will knock your socks off.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
By the way, Monoprice is in Rancho Cocamonga which is not that for from Anaheim where Hsu is. I don't know if Monoprice has a showroom or demo room of their products, but maybe call them up and see if they do, maybe you can demo the Monolith subs as well.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
By the way, Monoprice is in Rancho Cocamonga which is not that for from Anaheim where Hsu is. I don't know if Monoprice has a showroom or demo room of their products, but maybe call them up and see if they do, maybe you can demo the Monolith subs as well.
Just how do you call them up? I tried awhile back to inquire about the 15 inch subs when I was asking you about them or my SVS purchase. I couldn't seem to find a way on the call menu to get somebody to chat with me. I also tried the internet chat line no luck. Then I tried an email no response. Am I just missing something with Monoprice. Is they're a special department for these products or a way to reach Monoprice I'm just overlooking?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Just how do you call them up? I tried awhile back to inquire about the 15 inch subs when I was asking you about them or my SVS purchase. I couldn't seem to find a way on the call menu to get somebody to chat with me. I also tried the internet chat line no luck. Then I tried an email no response. Am I just missing something with Monoprice. Is they're a special department for these products or a way to reach Monoprice I'm just overlooking?
There should be some point in the customer service menu where you can get in touch with a human being who can contact the correct department for you. Strange that an email did not prompt a response though. If you still want to talk to Monoprice about their Monolith subs, I can get you in touch with the people who can answer your questions, if you drop me a PM.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This brings up a good point.
The Monolith subs are great deals on a very good product, and Monoprice has always been fair and professional in any dealings I have had with them.
However, The typical ID Sub makers like PSA, SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, and Outlaw (not sure if Outlaw is quite so good as the others since they do not specialize in subs???) all provide easy access to technical expertise and outstanding customer service.
I'm not sure if Monoprice would have someone on staff with the experience and knowledge of the guys you are liable to get from the more specialized companies. I suspect at least 75% of their sales are for cables and odd accessories.

Danzilla31, please share your experience with us!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Monolith subs are great deals on a very good product, and Monoprice has always been fair and professional in any dealings I have had with them.
However, The typical ID Sub makers like PSA, SVS, Hsu, Rythmik, and Outlaw (not sure if Outlaw is quite so good as the others since they do not specialize in subs???) all provide easy access to technical expertise and outstanding customer service.
I'm not sure if Monoprice would have someone on staff with the experience and knowledge of the guys you are liable to get from the more specialized companies. I suspect at least 75% of their sales are for cables and odd accessories.

Monoprice does have people who can field questions about the Monolith products. I guess the issue is getting a hold of them. I'll ask what the best route is to do that for someone looking at their products next time I talk to them.

btw, Outlaw does have people who can handle technical inquiries about their subs too, as good as anyone else.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

I will for sure let you know how the customer experience is my friend! ......Once Shady shows me what I'm doing wrong on getting a hold of them that is :D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
btw, Outlaw does have people who can handle technical inquiries about their subs too, as good as anyone else.
Good to know. I know they have good support on their amps, but wasn't sure how much of the design/development of the subs they farmed out and/or how much they learned about the subs they sell (and a general knowledge of sub selection and setup).
I guess I should have known better than to cut short a company who took on the task of rewriting the Velodyne sub EQ (SMS-1?) manual to make it user-friendly is not going to sell its customers short on support!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You jumping ship from SVS? LOL :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You jumping ship from SVS? LOL :)
Not yet but man I really have to think about what's best on my upgrade path. I mean SVS threw me off when they got rid of the + line you gotta go from the 2000's to the 4000's now and Damn even discounted that's like 2400 2600? I could get 2 of those 15inch HSU for 2000 shipped I can never remember the whole darn name of em the ones everybody raves about or 2 of the monoprice 15 monolith and get a great deal for them by flipping the PB 2000's for either the HSU or the Monoprice and I bet either one of those in duals would blow my SOCKS off. Leaving me more money for upgrading the rest of my speakers the way I want next year. Hell I really like RSL those guys are super cool to they're customers. I'm buying a speedwoofer 10s for my bedroom music setup I LOVE those subs for music for the PRICE. And when I spoke to them yesterday they're coming out with the CG 5's and a new sub much bigger that can play into the deep waters and I'm excited to hear about that he's gonna tell me more about when that bad boy comes out after August. I know it'll be a great sub. I love SVS but I'm guilty of the fact that man they're beautiful and have all these fancy features but do I really need all that for the extra coin. I'm just as guilty as everyone else for wanting the best bang for my buck. .......Although dual PB 4000's would look super cool in my setup. o_O Id bet they'd sound pretty good too.... Sigh.... I need therapy!!!!! Lol

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Not yet but man I really have to think about what's best on my upgrade path. I mean SVS threw me off when they got rid of the + line you gotta go from the 2000's to the 4000's now and Damn even discounted that's like 2400 2600? I could get 2 of those 15inch HSU for 2000 shipped I can never remember the whole darn name of em the ones everybody raves about or 2 of the monoprice 15 monolith and get a great deal for them by flipping the PB 2000's for either the HSU or the Monoprice and I bet either one of those in duals would blow my SOCKS off. Leaving me more money for upgrading the rest of my speakers the way I want next year. Hell I really like RSL those guys are super cool to they're customers. I'm buying a speedwoofer 10s for my bedroom music setup I LOVE those subs for music for the PRICE. And when I spoke to them yesterday they're coming out with the CG 5's and a new sub much bigger that can play into the deep waters and I'm excited to hear about that he's gonna tell me more about when that bad boy comes out after August. I know it'll be a great sub. I love SVS but I'm guilty of the fact that man they're beautiful and have all these fancy features but do I really need all that for the extra coin. I'm just as guilty as everyone else for wanting the best bang for my buck. .......Although dual PB 4000's would look super cool in my setup. o_O Id bet they'd sound pretty good too.... Sigh.... I need therapy!!!!! Lol
It is easy to forget about Outlaw. If you haven't considered them you might take a look. It is a safe bet that at least one of these will be discounted nicely come Black Friday (or maybe Labor Day!).
Your post prompted me to think of them because they are IMHO gorgeous! I love the clean look of a simple black box:

Review of Ultra X12 by Brent Butterworth (with comments on comparison with Hsu and SVS models):
https://hometheaterreview.com/outlaw-audio-ultra-x12-subwoofer-reviewed/
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

Outlaw Ultra X13 review by Brent Butterworth:
https://www.soundstageaccess.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/794-outlaw-audio-ultra-x13-subwoofer
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra13.html

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
It is easy to forget about Outlaw. If you haven't considered them you might take a look. It is a safe bet that at least one of these will be discounted nicely come Black Friday (or maybe Labor Day!).
You post prompted me to think of them because they are IMHO gorgeous! I love the clean look of a simple black box:

Review of Ultra X12 by Brent Butterworth (with comments on comparison with Hsu and SVS models):
https://hometheaterreview.com/outlaw-audio-ultra-x12-subwoofer-reviewed/
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra.html

Outlaw Ultra X13 review by Brent Butterworth:
https://www.soundstageaccess.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/794-outlaw-audio-ultra-x13-subwoofer
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/ultra13.html
Oh yeah those are awesome and they do look stunning thanks for reminding me!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The Rythmik 15 ‘s are nice too. You should call and talk to Enrico there as well. How big is the volume of the space in cubic inches? Think if I remember right the house is open to many rooms? If so you need to add up all of them in the calculations. Good luck! :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Rule of thumb when you are in an IVR is that 0 (or saying "operator" if it is voice activated) will usually get you to a person. Hopefully that person will know how to route you.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Rule of thumb when you are in an IVR is that 0 (or saying "operator" if it is voice activated) will usually get you to a person. Hopefully that person will know how to route you.
Yeah I tried that cus like you said that usually works it was no go on that option. I got some help from shady and a few other fellas on this site on how to get ahold of them and they're also helping me look at some other options on subs so I should be able to get a hold of them now if I want to pull the trigger on em.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis