Monoprice Monolith Sealed Subwoofer Line Preview

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
At CES this year, Monoprice unveiled sealed versions of their hit THX subs that we reviewed last year (Monolith 10" THX Select and 12" THX Ultra review and Monolith 15" THX Ultra review) for those who want a similarly excellent price to performance ratio but in a smaller package. Much of the specs remain the same as the ported models: 10”, 12”, and 15” long-throw woofers using 500-watt amplifiers, and, in the case of the 15”, a 1,000-watt amplifier, and all in robust HDF cabinets. Since the drivers for the ported THX subwoofers were already so over-built, the recipe for turning these subs into sealed designs is simple: place the drivers in an optimum enclosure size for a sealed configuration, and adjust the onboard DSP software accordingly. The existing driver platform makes it easy to do that since it has such powerful motor strength and tremendous linear throw. Giving them plenty of amplification wattage is also a critical ingredient, but Monoprice does this; we are still wondering how Monoprice can put a beefy 500-watt amplifier in a $500 subwoofer, but they did manage to do it!

There are several advantages that these sealed subwoofers have over the ported versions, and to find out why Monoprice has brought these sealed subs to market and what they can do for you, read our preview!

READ: Monoprice Monolith Sealed Subwoofer Line Preview

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Surprising that pricing is the same as for the ported versions. Usually one of the benefits of sealed is a little lower price (I assume due to higher shipping costs for the larger ported cabinet).
Any idea how "tune-able" the sealed versions will be?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Surprising that pricing is the same as for the ported versions. Usually one of the benefits of sealed is a little lower price (I assume due to higher shipping costs for the larger ported cabinet).
Any idea how "tune-able" the sealed versions will be?
It does have a regular vs extended tuning adjustment, but I wouldn't expect it to make a huge difference. The extended EQ may give you more output down low but at the cost of higher distortion potential. A review is likely, and the effects of this adjustment will of course be shown.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Really odd that the price is the same. No other manufacturer has the same price for ported and sealed. Sealed are always a little to a lot less. Don't see many clamoring for the sealed version if the price is the same as the ported, especially since the ported can be ran in sealed mode.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Really odd that the price is the same. No other manufacturer has the same price for ported and sealed. Sealed are always a little to a lot less. Don't see many clamoring for the sealed version if the price is the same as the ported, especially since the ported can be ran in sealed mode.
Size matters. ;) If their output is even just marginally better than some competitors, I could see that being a deciding factor. :) Espeacially where SAF is involved. (But in general, I agree with you.)

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
Which line of subwoofers are you referring to, where the equivalent sealed model is a lot less. If you look at SVS or Rythmik or Powersound Audio, for example, that is not at all the case. You might save $100, you might not depending on the model. You might not.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Which line of subwoofers are you referring to, where the equivalent sealed model is a lot less. If you look at SVS or Rythmik or Powersound Audio, for example, that is not at all the case. You might save $100, you might not depending on the model. You might not.
For some... that C-Note is a lot. ;) But for SVS, it IS a $400 difference for single subs starting at the 3000 series.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
For some... that C-Note is a lot. ;) But for SVS, it IS a $400 difference for single subs starting at the 3000 series.
Maybe because of weight since they ship both ways and try to get you to upgrade soon after and eat that shipping too. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ha!
They don't eat it. The customers pay for it!
I love the policy, AND hate it.
Their subs should have the same value as their competitors, yet they are more expensive. Because of that policy. It is too generous. Maybe it works for them: I would love to get a tour of the books! ;) But for me, they ended up tied for third on my list after Outlaw on sale, or Rythmik. Hsu was who they tied with. Monoliths were still at the bottom for me... still want to hear them sometime, but not at the cost of buying one, I'm afraid. And I was literally ready to place my order with Rythmik when the Outlaw sale hit for Black Friday. ;)

S

Schrodinger23

Audioholic Intern
You are right. I was looking at the lower end models, where they often use the same driver and amplifier, just a bigger cabinent in the ported model which adds extra money to ship. Hence the $100 or so.

It seems like you start to get into this several hundred dollar price difference when the ported model has variable tuning. That makes sense that it would add extra expense, since there is more that goes into the amp and the port design.

R

Reginald Wallace

Enthusiast
I used the guidance audioholics.com gave on the use of multiple subs, and on sub placement in my home theater. I have 4 massive (3 cubic ft. enclosures) subs in mine, all which I built myself. One in each of the two rear corners, and two in the front, on the left and right of my main towers. My home theater is not big enough to put the front subs in the corners, as would be optimum. One thing. I wonder about the need for so much reserve power (1000 watts RMS). My 4 subs run on amps that supply no less than 100 watts RMS per channel,, but not much more than 125 watts RMS, and when played at near concert volume, the meter on my Yamaha MX-600 never registers more than about 5 watts PEAK (Peak output on this amp is 275 watts). Maybe because I use 4 subs, the total power output needed is less, I think that is true.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
Definitely sealed. I for one would never use a ported sub in a 2 channel system, but even in my home theater I'm using 2 sealed subs. It's amazing how after years and years of collective push by the mass media, and the manufaturer's agents within it, towards ported designs, the majority audiophiles still prefer the sealed designs.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
Another thing, why is everybody shocked that the price is still the same? you all are audiophiles, and you should know better. It takes a whole lot more than just a box with no hole to design a good sealed sub. Is it any surprise that most manufacturers opt for the easier design? In fact I'm surprised the ported ones are not always cheaper- they're certainly cheaper to make!!!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Another thing, why is everybody shocked that the price is still the same? you all are audiophiles, and you should know better. It takes a whole lot more than just a box with no hole to design a good sealed sub. Is it any surprise that most manufacturers opt for the easier design? In fact I'm surprised the ported ones are not always cheaper- they're certainly cheaper to make!!!
I haven’t talked to any speaker designer, nor have I seen a reference in any speaker design book that would agree with your assertion. In general, ported boxes of any kind will require more In materials to build, thus also being heavier in shipping... and costing more. Also the design process is complicated by the addition of a port, where proper tuning of the port itself becomes more important than just adjusting for box volume at the system Q you want to operate at.
Yes, you can change parameters in a CAD program and may stumble on something that could look good in the modeling stage, and may perform well with little added fuss once built.
I would argue that is not design.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
I haven’t talked to any speaker designer, nor have I seen a reference in any speaker design book that would agree with your assertion. In general, ported boxes of any kind will require more In materials to build, thus also being heavier in shipping... and costing more. Also the design process is complicated by the addition of a port, where proper tuning of the port itself becomes more important than just adjusting for box volume at the system Q you want to operate at.
Yes, you can change parameters in a CAD program and may stumble on something that could look good in the modeling stage, and may perform well with little added fuss once built.
I would argue that is not design.
I'm not talking about the box, I'm talking about the whole thing- especially the driver that has to withstand tremendous amounts of pressure, maintain minimum distortion, and generate precise and fast transients.
Ask any designer, they'll tell you it takes a lot more to make a great sealed sub- and no, a ported sub is not necessarily heavier. IOW, if you're making 2 subs, one sealed and one ported, that are equal in performance, then definetely the sealed one will have cost more both money and effort- not luck!!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm not talking about the box, I'm talking about the whole thing- especially the driver that has to withstand tremendous amounts of pressure, maintain minimum distortion, and generate precise and fast transients.
Ask any designer, they'll tell you it takes a lot more to make a great sealed sub- and no, a ported sub is not necessarily heavier. IOW, if you're making 2 subs, one sealed and one ported, that are equal in performance, then definetely the sealed one will have cost more both money and effort- not luck!!!
I am pretty sure that if I asked almost any reputable subwoofer designer, they would say a ported sub takes more effort and certainly takes more investment. I don't know where you came across this idea, but I suggest that you contact a subwoofer designer and ask them yourself.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely sealed. I for one would never use a ported sub in a 2 channel system, but even in my home theater I'm using 2 sealed subs. It's amazing how after years and years of collective push by the mass media, and the manufaturer's agents within it, towards ported designs, the majority audiophiles still prefer the sealed designs.
Wow, biased much? Why you so mad at ported subs?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis