Monoprice Monolith 16” THX Ultra Subwoofer Performance Analysis

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Why does it even matter what power the amp is? That’s not how subs work

if you saw a 600 watt 21” sub that hit 130db max output vs a 6000 watt sub that only hit 120db of max output which sub plays louder? The driver and the cabinets have more to do with output and the amp is a tool to make the driver work. The Rythmik fv15hp has already proven this before. Has more output with a 15” 600 watt amp than a few psa 18” subs with 900 watts. Or we can laugh at how the fv15hp comes close or outperforms a svs pb16 ultra with 1500 watts and a “16” driver. The monolith 16 or 13 are output monsters. I still have dual mono 15 and they have tremendous output.

below are some numbers I got from rew in my room playing dual fv18pc, dual mono 15 and dual svs sb3000 and my sons bedroom setup with dual infinity 12” ported subs.

Attachments

D

digital911

Enthusiast
Why does it even matter what power the amp is? That’s not how subs work

if you saw a 600 watt 21” sub that hit 130db max output vs a 6000 watt sub that only hit 120db of max output which sub plays louder? The driver and the cabinets have more to do with output and the amp is a tool to make the driver work. The Rythmik fv15hp has already proven this before. Has more output with a 15” 600 watt amp than a few psa 18” subs with 900 watts. Or we can laugh at how the fv15hp comes close or outperforms a svs pb16 ultra with 1500 watts and a “16” driver. The monolith 16 or 13 are output monsters. I still have dual mono 15 and they have tremendous output.

below are some numbers I got from rew in my room playing dual fv18pc, dual mono 15 and dual svs sb3000 and my sons bedroom setup with dual infinity 12” ported subs.
It doesn't matter much in the sense of output as it's only 200 watts. The reason I ask though is why the discrepancy, is it a simple mistake on Audioholics part? That's what I'm thinking.

D

digital911

Enthusiast
1). Not sure but again, it's absolutely irrelevant
2) which measurements, as there are many with in the CEA standards and what peak and rms are you referring to? The standard is clearly defined as to what the parameters are that are to be used when testing. The amplifier specs are not part of this.
The Audioholics CEA measurements. They can be measured using peak or RMS. Read the quote from Tom V I posted a few posts up.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis