Monoprice Monolith 13" THX Ultra Subwoofer Review

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I think when it comes to good designs, it's not copycat so much is "well, I guess this really is a great way to build a sub".

Or it's a straight copy.... ;)
Does it matter that much?
If it's an excellent sub it is excellent :p

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Only thing not copied is the performance this beast out performs the 3000 and 4000 pretty handily in both extension and output and even holds against the SVS 16 across some of its range

I can't wait when @shadyJ finishes the writeup on the 16 and we get to see what that can really do
Doesn’t he need to get the baseball team in to finish off the Monolith 16?
The subwoofer is a beast :eek:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Doesn’t he need to get the baseball team in to finish off the Monolith 16?
The subwoofer is a beast :eek:
I know right damn thing weighs like 180lbs were probably all going to have to chip in for his back surgery someday

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I know right damn thing weighs like 180lbs were probably all going to have to chip in for his back surgery someday
I normally invite some good friends and tell them I can offer some free lifting exercises :D
No need to go to gym!
They are still my friends :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Bribes of food, drink and smoke work well for these situations! :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This is going to be great Gene but all I know is I can't wait for Shady to finish up his review on the data collected from the 16. Hint..... hint.... cough..... cough...... ;) :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This is going to be great Gene but all I know is I can't wait for Shady to finish up his review on the data collected from the 16. Hint..... hint.... cough..... cough...... ;) :D
I'm wondering how our RBH SV 1212NRs compare with this Mono THX 13" with the same power, 2k watts. Looks like the Mono digs deeper, but the 1212's dual drivers do dig below 20 hz and might have more headroom.

Might be a while for that review of the 16" tho... @shadyJ is prolly demanding bonus incentives before handling that beast! If they rate it the same way they did the 13 it's more likely an 18" driver when measured like other manufacturers do, from the frame. Mono is measuring only the radiating surface of the cone. It's stuff like that, very conservative specs, excellent build quality and high perfomance that make them stand out in an era where bloated specs are too often the norm. All of their products are conservatively spec'd.

I'm becoming a legit, full on Monoprice fan. They've been absolutely killing it lately. They've really changed their image in the last few years. I no longer think of them as a budget brand (tho great pricing still), and are becoming synonymous with high quality in my mind. They have a few things now that I'd really like to own. I could in fact, be very happy with a complete Monoprice system top to bottom. From power, to speakers, to cables and subs.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Absolutely, I second that :cool:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I'm wondering how our RBH SV 1212NRs compare with this Mono THX 13" with the same power, 2k watts. Looks like the Mono digs deeper, but the 1212's dual drivers do dig below 20 hz and might have more headroom.

Might be a while for that review of the 16" tho... @shadyJ is prolly demanding bonus incentives before handling that beast! If they rate it the same way they did the 13 it's more likely an 18" driver when measured like other manufacturers do, from the frame. Mono is measuring only the radiating surface of the cone. It's stuff like that, very conservative specs, excellent build quality and high perfomance that make them stand out in an era where bloated specs are too often the norm. All of their products are conservatively spec'd.

I'm becoming a legit, full on Monoprice fan. They've been absolutely killing it lately. They've really changed their image in the last few years. I no longer think of them as a budget brand (tho great pricing still), and are becoming synonymous with high quality in my mind. They have a few things now that I'd really like to own. I could in fact, be very happy with a complete Monoprice system top to bottom. From power, to speakers, to cables and subs.
Those drivers look completely unreal at that price point IMHO :cool:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Honestly bro that 16 might be able to hold up with our RBH 1212nr. Audioholics already has a review of the 1212 nr when the monoprice 16 review comes out we can compare the numbers

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Yeah monoprice is killing it right now

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly bro that 16 might be able to hold up with our RBH 1212nr. Audioholics already has a review of the 1212 nr when the monoprice 16 review comes out we can compare the numbers
Do they? I saw one for the SX 1212 and the on the SVTR towers that come with the 1212NRs, but didn't see any measurements for just the sub. They have a couple of 1212 models and there's a pretty substantial difference between the drivers.

image (10).jpeg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis