Monoprice Monolith 10, 12 and 15-inch Subwoofer Review

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Info:
I just wrapped up my review of the following Monoprice Monolith 10/12/15-inch subwoofers:
Monolith by Monoprice 10in THX Select Certified 500-Watt Powered Subwoofer - $499
Monolith by Monoprice 12in THX Ultra Certified 500-Watt Powered Subwoofer - $799
Monolith by Monoprice 15in THX Ultra Certified 1000-Watt Powered Subwoofer - $1339

You can watch the video or just look at the data/link posted in the below sections. The video covers a little bit more than is mentioned here but the bottom line is the performance of these subwoofers is really quite good and it is very evident to see just how much more output below 50Hz these offer than "budget" subwoofers.

The Monoliths provide quite a bit of output, have very nice linear response with extension down to 20Hz in the ported configurations. They have a variable phase adjustment which is a *big* deal IMHO (I know others have it as well). There is no chuffing (demo'd in the video) from the port and the mechanical aspects are quiet (no resonances, no motor noise, no tinsel lead slap).

The drive units themselves are quite nice but I do wonder if they would benefit from pole piece (cooling).

Video Review:

Photos:

CEA-2010-A/B Max SPL Testing:
CEA-2010-A & CEA-2010-B test data can be found in the below spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18bz7z-xIlRJsC-bw6k4mHkuwv_uiGAMyEhgrTkjwdXc/edit?usp=sharing

-A test results:

-B test results:

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:

Here are the graphics for the frequency response (not CEA-2010 results; just the FR, taken at 0.5vRMS).
They include ported vs sealed and "extended" vs "THX" EQ in each graphic.

10-inch Monolith Frequency Response:

10-inch Monolith vs the Elac SUB1010 ($130, budget 10-inch subwoofer). You can see very clearly the Elac (which was the better of my recent 10-inch Budget Subwoofer Shootout) is easily bested in linearity by the Monolith.

12-inch Monolith Frequency Response:

12-inch Monolith vs the Monoprice Budget ($99) 12-inch subwoofer.

Monolith 15-inch:

Comparison of all the Monolith sizes, sealed:

Comparison of all the Monolith sizes, ported:

Bottom Line:

The Monolith subwoofers are a very nice value. They don't have a lot of flash to them but what they lack in aesthetics (for some), they make up for in performance and features. The variable phase and XLR input are two features that delineate these subwoofers from "budget" subwoofers. The CEA-2010 testing yielded really solid results, though, to be fair, I don't have many to compare against at this moment in time. But by looking at others' results, I'd say these more than hold their own and present a very high value. There is no internal resonance, port noise is only an issue if you're playing test tones at the lowest of frequencies. Very solid subwoofers with great performance. I recommend them if you're looking at them as an option.

S

smanuta

Enthusiast
I purchased my 2 subwoofer from target.com. 30 days in-store target return policy.

S

smanuta

Enthusiast
check it out monolith is a partner with target.com in there website. same warranty same support. But easy return in the target stores.

S

smanuta

Enthusiast
pay using affirm or target card or any other card. best deal $1100 for 2 10" thx certified subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I used to deal with imports for many department stores....most of which are gone now.....Target seems to keep improvising but I don't shop there. Thanks, very interesting.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Extended return time during holidays at target now too.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
pay using affirm or target card or any other card. best deal $1100 for 2 10" thx certified subs.
Could have had 2 of these

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Could have had 2 of these
I really wanted to see and try these but just couldn’t see how I’d risk $150 to ship to me and then $150 back if I wanted to return. They need to find a way to see these somewhere or partner like monolith is with someone like target.

I can grab a monolith with this deal from target for no risk and sit alongside the svs I have coming and compare. No can do this way with HSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I really wanted to see and try these but just couldn’t see how I’d risk $150 to ship to me and then $150 back if I wanted to return. They need to find a way to see these somewhere or partner like monolith is with someone like target.

I can grab a monolith with this deal from target for no risk and sit alongside the svs I have coming and compare. No can do this way with HSU.
Another Wishy Washy member :(

Believe me the Sub you purchased is awesome.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

It's easier if you just add the freight in like the others do for you....no free shipping like there's no free lunch :) RSL is the only other sub seller that will offer the included in the price round trip shipping. If all Targets have this line of subs I'd also be somewhat surprised.....but would be glad to be surprised.

S

smanuta

Enthusiast
I came from a 23 year old velodyne 12"subwoofer to this monolith 10" subwoofer. Target stores are available everywhere, just in case for a return. Here are some of my tweaks: 1.Listen and adjust the Phase control on the monolith subwoofer for more mid bass. I set my Phase control to 90 degrees for my preference. 2. Set your avr to 80hz LFE bass cutoff. 3. Use XLR cables, it sounded better vs rca inputs. XLR connections often carry a higher voltage signal then RCA connections, up to 4 volts against typically the 2 volts on an RCA connection. 4. Level was setup to +6.

Last edited:
XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Another Wishy Washy member :(

Believe me the Sub you purchased is awesome.
I’m the wish washiest of them all.

Heck I can’t even pick out a Christmas tree right now. Analysis paralysis is my enemy.

But as a I mentioned to someone else who can resist playing with two toys side-by-side? Given what I’ve seen I don’t doubt the performance of the SVS. I know some here don’t bat an eye spending $1000 on a sub but this has been a very hard decision for me. I’m counting on it making me feel like it was worth every penny.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I came from a 23 year old velodyne 12"subwoofer to this monolith 10" subwoofer. Listen and adjust the Phase control on the monolith subwoofer for more mid bass, set your avr to 80hz LFE bass cutoff. I set my Phase control to 90 degrees for my preference. Use XLR cables, it sounded better vs rca inputs. XLR connections often carry a higher voltage signal then RCA connections, up to 4 volts against typically the 2 volts on an RCA connection. The monolith shipping box is big and bulkly.
Curious, why do you change the LPF of LFE to 80? Is the .1 channel content a problem?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like 80hz cutoff for my music/movies preference. 80% music.
Would only affect stuff with a .1 channel (the LFE channel). Even on multich music discs often the LFE channel isn't even used (particularly those made from old 3 ch or quad recordings). Otherwise the crossover setting takes care of bass managed content and the low pass filter for the sub (and hopefully you are using an LFE setting on the sub itself to bypass the built in low pass filter on the sub, or just max that out manually).

S

smanuta

Enthusiast
I try that. My poorman reciver intergra drx 5.3, thx select. I will give it another tweak.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I try that. My poorman reciver intergra drx 5.3, thx select. I will give it another tweak.
Probably would be something no one noticed if they didn't even have a consumer choice for LPF of LFE....but many avrs do have that. I'd just turn it to the normal limit of the LFE channel at 120hz.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
These subs are on sale (Black Friday 2020) for anyone interested:

Monolith 10" $450 (from $500)
Monolith 12" $700 (from $800)
Monolith 15" $1150 (from $1340)

...and (I had not noticed this one before)
Monolith M-215 dual 15" $2000 from $2500

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis