Monoprice Monolith 16” THX Ultra Subwoofer Performance Analysis

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
16 grille detached.jpg
Monoprice knocked us out of our socks in our review of their new Monolith 13” THX sub, and we were very intrigued by its bigger brother, the 16” THX Ultra. Unfortunately, the 16” was just too large and heavy for us to do a full review (hey, you try lugging a 170 lbs subwoofer up and down a steep flight of stairs multiple times!) Happily, Monoprice was able to coordinate a sample for testing, so we can get a close look at its performance even if we aren’t able to do any listening in our home. The results of our testing are the subject of this performance analysis. Read our full performance report of the Monoprice Monolith 16" THX Ultra...

READ: Monoprice Monolith 16" THX Ultra Subwoofer Performance Analysis

U

Uncle_Big_Green

Audioholic Intern
Dear Monoprice,

Please make subs with a satin black and/or gloss black finish.

Thanks,
UBG

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Ohhhhhhhh I've been waiting for this one. Look at the performance

Output? Check
Extension both infrasonic and midbass? Check
Extremely low distortion and great measurements? Check
Does it outperform the SVS PB16 ultra for a lot less money? Hell yeah Check Check Check

It seriously outperforms the SVS

I hear they are coming out with a piano black gloss next year. By that time plenty of user reviews If everything sounds good from users then 2 of them are going in my room

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Krikey, mate! Now THAT, is a Subwoofer.

If it wasn't potentially so confusing, it should be referred to hereafter as "The Übersub." :)
(Suck it, Nietzsche.)

Shady, did you do these measurements yourself up in Chi-Town? Just not getting it into your pad for a listen? ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ohhhhhhhh I've been waiting for this one. Look at the performance

Output? Check
Extension both infrasonic and midbass? Check
Extremely low distortion and great measurements? Check
Does it outperform the SVS PB16 ultra for a lot less money? Hell yeah Check Check Check

It seriously outperforms the SVS

I hear they are coming out with a piano black gloss next year. By that time plenty of user reviews If everything sounds good from users then 2 of them are going in my room
What, nothing about the ports, 'Zilla?
8! Count 'em...
That's one for every night of the week, and twice on Sunday! :p (Since I know you won't give one a week off!)

<3

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Krikey, mate! Now THAT, is a Subwoofer.

If it wasn't potentially so confusing, it should be referred to hereafter as "The Übersub." :)
(Suck it, Nietzsche.)

Shady, did you do these measurements yourself up in Chi-Town? Just not getting it into your pad for a listen? ;)
I did the measurements, but not anywhere near an urban area. I did have help. In its boxed state, I doubt that I could even fit it through my door. I can't personally use it to its potential, so I didn't want to bother with the pain of lifting it into my theater room which involves a flight of stairs.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I did the measurements, but not anywhere near an urban area. I did have help. In its boxed state, I doubt that I could even fit it through my door. I can't personally use it to its potential, so I didn't want to bother with the pain of lifting it into my theater room which involves a flight of stairs.
Totally dig it. And I know I speak for everybody when I say:
Thank You for measuring this beast!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What, nothing about the ports, 'Zilla?
8! Count 'em...
That's one for every night of the week, and twice on Sunday! :p (Since I know you won't give one a week off!)

<3
I'll have you know Ryan the ports had NOTHING to do with how I feel about this subwoofer. AT ALL :rolleyes: ;)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If your ever in San Antonio someday post pandemic PM me. For all the work you do your gonna get treated bro. For reals.

T

tinman143

Audiophyte
“The Monolith 16” can produce more than 50% more output than the Monolith 13” while only having a 25% cost increase.”

This is nuts.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
“The Monolith 16” can produce more than 50% more output than the Monolith 13” while only having a 25% cost increase.”

This is nuts.
I know I was thinking the same thing

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

This is nuts.
Percentages just aren't the way to deal with logarithmic specs....

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Legit question. Is there a point where, depending on what level or gain we leverage that some won't realize the upside from say the 13 vs the 16, especially if you already have multiple quality subs?

It's probably the wrong audience to ask this question :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Legit question. Is there a point where, depending on what level or gain we leverage that some won't realize the upside from say the 13 vs the 16, especially if you already have multiple quality subs?

I'd think would depend how many you have and in what size room and to what levels you're driving them....but for most it's probably moot.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Well this is kindof the point @lovinthehd is making above. Higher output and numbers don't always tell the whole story

in certain room sizes or use situations you may not need that extra output at all.

You definetly have to take all factors into consideration before you cough up the extra dough

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So I should infer that loudness will be less than half (n00b here)?
Depends on what you mean. 3dB in spl requires a doubling of power....and distance comes into play as well. Percentages just aren't the right mathematical ways of expressing differences

ps Also consider that generally that perceiving a loudness difference of double is in the range of 6-10 dB spl difference depending whose definition you're using.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis