Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

T

TadMoore

Enthusiast
Interesting... What do you mean by 'STB'? What kind of format is the audio which you were not able to play?
Set Top Box. In my case it is a satellite receiver. It wouldn't play any audio. Either PCM or Dolby.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
4K/240 Hz TV has been announed. Here.
Yes I had thought about the only 240Hz tv I was aware of just after posting this thinking it doesn't matter because there are no hdmi standard to support 240Hz. Even for monitors, I can't go above 1440p 240Hz with Display Port right now.

But you got me :) There is actually one TV that got the display tech to reach 240Hz

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Edit2: A bit disappointed by such a long delay for hdmi 2.1. I partially bought the RX-A8A to test/play games but right now not being able to run 4K 120Hz is stopping me from using my tv for gaming. Was expecting to get the firmware with the amp availability as Yamaha was saying they already got the firmware done et demoing some PS5 games if I remember correctly
Enabling software will not come until H1 2022. We have been saying for over a year in several threads that 2020 and 2021 models of Yamaha will not have HDMI 2.1 speeds and features active until boards are replaced (2020 models) and until firmware gets official certification (2021 models). Here is everything what is known about those AVRs and HDMI 2.1. Please see it when you get a spare moment.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Yes I think hdmi 2.1 is only interesting for gaming, I don’t see any useful feature useful for content viewing.
HDMI 2.1 will become popular with sports, once sports channels sign deals with Apple and other streamers for 4K/120 live content. Possibly in 2023. Formula One is currently testing 4K/120 live broadcast. Live sports with high refresh rate is an obvious benefit fro HDMI 2.1. It will take some time for commercial services to appear.
The only difference here is for LG TVs which cannot passthrough DTS coded content - so no audio in such configuration for DTS content.
LG 2019 models can do DTS pass-through. The feature was discontinued form 2020.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
The optical extender is a FiberCommand hdmi 2.1 extender (50 feet long) that allows (when working…) to send hdmi2.1 from my PC to the TV. It’s working when sending 4K HDR 120Hz VRR stream, but now I will add the Atmos sound which will stress the bandwidth even more.
For 4K/120 video, official Ultra-High speed HDMI cable is absolutely enough, as it has bandwidth of 48 Gbps.

Atmos and all other lossless audio formats take far less bandwidth than video. eARC channel in HDMI cable has ~37 Mbps of bandwidth, plenty for any audio and very tiny in comparison to any video. Atmos over Dolby True HD needs maximum of ~18 Mbps. Lossless audio will not stress the bandwidth in any significant way.

Last edited:
AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
4k, HDR, VVR, ALLM outputting in Atmos... Now AMD/nVidia/Intel it's time to beef our GPUs. RTX 3080 is outputting only 79fps with DLSS 2.0 maxing out the graphic settings
Is this over 4K/60Hz setting on TV/AVR? What is the colour space? Is it 8-bit or 10-bit? Is it 4:2:0 or 4:2:2?

Current high end GPUs are powerfull enough for many 4K/120 games on TVs and even higher fps on 4K monitors. There is no need to max out all graphical settings, as image is often not much better than in high settings. I run AMD 6800XT on 4K/120 LG TV and games can easily achieve up to 120 Hz if some settings are toned down reasonably. Here are explanations why.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
LMAO!! When I go visit my son's, walk in their homes and guess what, they are more than likely gaming. My oldest son age 43, has his Sony 65" tv on gaming, plus a 40" tv off to the side which he uses to pull up info on the game his is playing. His son in his room is 10 years old has a PS4 plus a full 5.1 setup head gear the work's. Same goes for my youngest son age 35. I believe it's my fault, cause I did start my son's off with Nintendo, PS1 and PS2 back in the day. Going back to the 80's with Zelda. I had no idea that home station gaming was gonna be like this. Same can be said for home audio/video.
Oh, home audio/video is just fine. :D

But the gaming gotta stop. :D

Only "gaming" I do is on the old Wii (Table Tennis). Only reason I play the Wii is when I'm running on the Treadmill at 6MPH + playing the Wii at the same time. :D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Is this over 4K/60Hz setting on TV/AVR? What is the colour space? Is it 8-bit or 10-bit? Is it 4:2:0 or 4:2:2?

Current high end GPUs are powerfull enough for many 4K/120 games on TVs and even higher fps on 4K monitors. There is no need to max out all graphical settings, as image is often not much better than in high settings. I run AMD 6800XT on 4K/120 LG TV and games can easily achieve up to 120 Hz if some settings are toned down reasonably. Here are explanations why.
1636740552948.png

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai

Nice info! I learned something!!

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Hey there are some audiophile gaming nerds that also enjoy home theatre ! :)
2.1 is just the way to max out the use of all these amazing sound systems. Movies, music, and games... One Ring to rules them all !
I love my audio and gaming can now be a visual delight.

Audio is much more important in my opinion than video. Much more immersive!

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I love my audio and gaming can now be a visual delight.

Audio is much more important in my opinion than video. Much more immersive!
Now I am not using the TV speakers anymore I can't agreed more !!!!

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Nice. Keep that connection away from AVR until all bugs are sorted out and features enabled properly. The best for all features to work together is direct connection source-sink. AVRs are not there yet, as repeater HDMI 2.1 chips have not matured enough and software is not ironed out. Chips in AVRs are late ~1 year into the game.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Nice. Keep that connection away from AVR until all bugs are sorted out and features enabled properly. The best for all features to work together is direct connection source-sink. AVRs are not there yet, as repeater HDMI 2.1 chips have not matured enough and software is not ironed out. Chips in AVRs are late ~1 year into the game.
My fear in all of this is that these current models will only be supported for so long before the manufacturer has moved on to their next/current generation.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My fear in all of this is that these current models will only be supported for so long before the manufacturer has moved on to their next/current generation.
???
They will continue to support them as long as is required by their warranties, and even then you could still possibly see some updates if needed for some reason. These won't all just be cut off whenever a new updated product hits the shelves.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis