Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hahaha! It's far from wearing any crown, let alone THE crown, I am afraid.
This very model was showcased at CES in January 2020 already, so it's almost two years they can't get things right... I'd say that the king is naked, rather than wearing any crown.
Lolo, heavy is the head that wears the Crown I tell you! :p:cool:

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Just buy Yamaha. 5 year's warranty.
I'd love to, but current offer is under par. Perhaps next gen. I have owned several Yamahas and still have one at home that I am using now.

I need 40 Gbps HDMI 2.1 chips to be working properly and without bugs. Since AVRs do not have any other display interfaces on offer apart from HDMI, it is paramount that new tech works flawlessly. It's pointless for me to buy new AVR just to avoid connecting HDMI 2.1 sources and displays I have at home to it.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I'd love to, but current offer is under par. Perhaps next gen. I have owned several Yamahas and still have one at home that I am using now.

I need 40 Gbps HDMI 2.1 chips to be working properly and without bugs. Since AVRs do not have any other display interfaces on offer apart from HDMI, it is paramount that new tech works flawlessly. It's pointless for me to buy new AVR just to avoid connecting HDMI 2.1 sources and displays I have at home to it.
Bro, I'm just jacking around.;) But yeah I get the points your making very valid. I did consider before getting my A4A. I researched the 2.1 issues. When Gene posted up on his site of the work around. Yamaha stated there will be future update's before they even released any new AVR's as did the other manufacturers. It's doesn't affect me as of now I have no need for 2.1. I made a mistake about my 4K tv having 2.1 input it doesn't only 2.0, 4K 60Hz. Didn't this all start with Panasonic sending out bad chips that didn't work as promised to all manufacturers? I don't know enough about the gaming side of this 2.1 I'll admit that. It does seem to be important for gamer's though.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic

I want exactly the same thing. My Samsung QN90A got only one HDMI 2.1 input so I want my AVR to be the hub. 7 2.1 inputs would be perfect. Firmware update : I want to believe

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Didn't this all start with Panasonic sending out bad chips that didn't work as promised to all manufacturers?
It's Panasonic Solutions, a different company. It seems Yamaha's engineer was responsible for not knowing what kind of chip they needed to order. They needed to make a few calls, ask questions and find out about the chip and nature of the signal from sources.
Here is the best explanation I have heard so far. It's a mess, no doubt.

Last edited:
M

mhat

Enthusiast
The real problem is HDMI itself. From the very start, it's been a total mess. Manufacturers have literally been scrambling to keep up with the constantly-changing specs and get this crap to work since HDMI was first rolled out. It's really a shame. It seems like it must be the worst-administered protocol of all time. I feel bad for any manufacturer that has ever had to support it.

Falstaff

Falstaff

Audioholic Intern
It's Panasonic Solutions, a different company. It seems Yamaha's engineer was responsible for not knowing what kind of chip they needed to order. They needed to make a few calls, ask questions and find out about the chip and nature of the signal from sources.
Thanks for sharing that video. I haven’t researched AV gear in years and now that I want to upgrade my home theatre it’s been interesting catching up on all the developments in the industry.

As someone wanting to up grade my Denon AVR-4520CI and JVC DLA-X75R in the next 6 months so I can add a UHD player, and as someone unlikely to replace my PS4 with a PS5, are you current owners of the models in this line satisfied with them when taking the 4K/120Hz thing out of the equation?

I’d likely go far the A8A and be using it for 80% movies ( maybe only 10% of that for streaming) and 20% music (mainly vinyl). I’ve been waiting for Gene’s review to find out what’s got him concerned about the A6A to make a choice, but only out of curiosity.

I‘m likely going to be getting a JVC DLA-NZ8 which claims 4K/120Hz as well, but without a need for gaming, I don’t really care if that spec works or not.

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
I ordered a Yamaha RX-A8A. It will arrive Tuesday. I will use it in a 5.1.4 configuration.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
D@mn... Pretty much the message I've been saying all year: wait for 2022!

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
Post up when you get your A8A setup.
Sure, with photos. This AVR it's a bit of overkill for my setup, but I have a difficult room, with hardfloors and no room treatment. My speakers are 4x KEF Q150, center KEF Q250c, 2x KEF Q50a and 2x Sony SSCSE as Atmos speakers.

Last edited:
AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
The real problem is HDMI itself. From the very start, it's been a total mess. Manufacturers have literally been scrambling to keep up with the constantly-changing specs and get this crap to work since HDMI was first rolled out. It's really a shame. It seems like it must be the worst-administered protocol of all time. I feel bad for any manufacturer that has ever had to support it.
Do not forget that it is big manufacturers of consumer electonics that heavily influence HDMI Forum to serve their interests. The organisation was set up by them. It is big fish members who drive the development and course of the spec. The organisation itself is legally toothless, apart from managing cables.

Big consumer electronics companies want to have closed ecosystem where HDMI is the only game in town. That's one of main reasons why VESA's DisplayPort has not been adopted as another interface on TVs, AVRs, etc., unlike in PC ecosystem, where they showed them middle finger for such monopoly. In PC ecosystem, for audio and video, there is a choice between HDMI, DisplayPort and Thunderbolt. Almost all motherboards, graphics cards and monitors have any combination of those ports, so that consumers do not need to worry about it. It's much more diverse and hassle free. My monitor has all three of those ports, so I can connect any video device to it.

That's why back panel on AVRs is so dull. It does not give us other digital options for video. Ridiculous in this day and age. Someone will need to make a break through finally in next gen AVR boards and give us DisplayPort, which is more wide-spread than HDMI. Let people connect whatever they have at home and stop restricting them to HDMI interface. It cannot be more simple.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I‘m likely going to be getting a JVC DLA-NZ8 which claims 4K/120Hz as well, but without a need for gaming, I don’t really care if that spec works or not.
If you are eyeing such high-end projector, you probably need to care about 4K/120, which is not only designed for gamers. If you enjoy watching sports, there will be HDMI dongles with 4K/120 live sport broadcast. For sports broadcast, 120 Hz refresh rate is very much important feature for smooth images of action. There are trials taking place now and commercial services should start ~2023.

Falstaff

Falstaff

Audioholic Intern
If you are eyeing such high-end projector, you probably need to care about 4K/120, which is not only designed for gamers. If you enjoy watching sports, there will be HDMI dongles with 4K/120 live sport broadcast. For sports broadcast, 120 Hz refresh rate is very much important feature for smooth images of action. There are trials taking place now and commercial services should start ~2023.
Fortunately, I don’t watch sports, and unless 4K/120 has any use in movies and certain TV series, I don’t personally see a use for it. Granted, when purchasing any AVR, it would be proper to have all advertised features implemented correctly, but if I had to rank one the least likely for me to use, it would be that one. Sound quality, handling of 4K/HDR video for UHD and connectivity being top of my list.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
I am in Canada. Is there extra warranty on the new A8A in Canada that anyone knows of. I just got mine and will unbox tonight and post pics! ☺

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I am in Canada. Is there extra warranty on the new A8A in Canada that anyone knows of. I just got mine and will unbox tonight and post pics! ☺
Register your AVR on Yamaha's website, you'll get a warranty certificate to download for the extra 2 years of warranty for a total of five years. With your name on it.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Fortunately, I don’t watch sports, and unless 4K/120 has any use in movies and certain TV series, I don’t personally see a use for it. Granted, when purchasing any AVR, it would be proper to have all advertised features implemented correctly, but if I had to rank one the least likely for me to use, it would be that one. Sound quality, handling of 4K/HDR video for UHD and connectivity being top of my list.
Same here, as of now I have no use for 2.1. Is it something I was concerned about before get my Yamaha RX-A4A sure it was. Talked with my oldest Son about why I wouldn't need 2.1 for me anyways, other's need the 2.1 because there gamer's I'm not. Outside of the future updates that no one can as of now anyone who has any of Yamaha's new AVR'S can say about how 2.1 may or may not work like it should. Everything that I have tried, switching sources be it from over the air antenna when watching live tv or from music CDs to streaming music to streaming Netflix, to switching back to 4k movie's not one issue. Will bugs creep up, hopefully not but it's new and only time will till. I'm thinking of getting a PS5 next year but I still won't need 2.1 my youngest son who's 35 has a new PS5, his Sony 77" Master Series OLED doesn't have 2.1 or does his Yamaha RX-A1080 but it does have 4K 60 Hz 4.4.4 looked really good to me. It's all about the bandwidth when it comes to 2.1. The way I see it just me say, If you have a 4K tv that has 2.1 input just run your video source straight to your TV than audio from your TV's ARC back to your AVR. But many owner's of these new AVR'S no matter who built their AVR want all their sources passing through their AVR for video. I say good luck with that who knows if and when the update's are implemented will 2.1 even work as they All say it will.

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
You have flagship-itis. I feel your pain. :D
Hahaha, not quite. Let me tell you about my journey in the search of great sound.

I got into the AVR game in July 2020. My first AVR was Denon AVR-X1600h. I returned it after a lot of Audyssey calibrations failed to produce decent sound. Here is the first day trying to install the AVR. The speakers were a Logitech Z502 because the Focals were on the way.
1636891879238.png

1636892135957.png

Here is the Focal Sib Evo 5.1 setup. But it did not sound decent.
1636892269122.png

So, after a lot of calibrations, the Denon AVR-X1600h went back, together with the Focals and was gloriously replaced by the Denon AVR-X3700h. But because the Denon took more than a month to arrive I bought a Sony STR DN1080. Boy, that AVR was fun. Quirky on the HDMI but sound wise better that the Denon by far. The music sounded great, the movies dynamics were great. As soo as you listened to a gun shot or an explosions on the Sony you realized that the Denon 1600 was really bad.
1636892659109.png

Then the Denon X3700 arrived. I was so excited after reading all the great reviews and measurements. I hooked up the Denon and...
1636894909906.png

... my thought was that I have bad speakers. At that time the speakers were KEF e305 (eggs) then replaced by QAcoustics 7000i, then QAcoustics 3020i which sounded really dull with no real highs, then back to Kef e305. All the speakers sounded really bad with emphasis on human voices which sounded muffled and unnatural. I went for an ears control to the doctor. I am aging so I was worried that I do not hear well enough. My hearing is fine for my age. So, if it is not the hearing, if are not the speakers, then it must be the AVR. Denon 3700 went back to the store. I kept the Sony though, despite its HDMI issues.
But one month later the Sony developed an imbalance of the front channels, meaning that on any position I was sitting I could hear louder the front left channel, despite the balance settings or calibration. It went back to the store.
Then the first Yamaha RX-V6A came into my home. It was defective. The center channel was muffled despite the calibrations or direct play. After two weeks, it went back to the store but, because it was before Christmas, I could not find a replacement. So I bought a Marantz 6015. Again, excited by the stellar reviews.
1636895794125.png

In the beginning, without calibration I liked the sound of stereo music. But then, after calibration, playing a record that I knew how it is supposed to sound, I discovered that the highs, on the KEF Q150 sounded like scratching the glass. Owning the Marantz I managed to find another Yamaha RX-V6A and I bought it.

(Here should have been a picture of the Yamaha RX-V6A, but the site allows only 10 pictures.)

After the first calibration, the Yamaha sounded right, much better than the Marantz. I did the swap several time to convince myself that I am not mistaking. It was real, Yamaha sounded better, in my room, with my speakers than the Marantz. Therefore , the Marantz went back.
1636896220929.png

This is how my front setup looked at that time. The center was KEF e301c, LR are KEF Q150, Atmos were Sony SSCSE, surround were KEF e301. The other KEF e301 that you see in the picture were not connected but were there due too lack of deposit space. Subwoofer is a SVS PB1000.
1636896515698.png

I lost more than 30 hours trying to Audyssey calibrate the Denon and the Marantz. In the picture are only part of the calibrations made. I erased most of them. Yamaha after three calibrations - mostly needed because swapping or moving the speakers - that took in total about 70 minutes sounded better. So, Yamaha RX-V6A stayed.
One month ago, during a business trip I heard a NAD T778 and I was hooked. So I purchased one.
1636896731425.png

The sound was great. Dirac worked flawless. But, the LG C1 did not communicate well with the NAD. I had sound interruption while playing TV content that I could not resolve. It was not the HDMI cable which is 4K HDMI2.1 certified, and works without ay issues with the Yamaha. So I gave it back. But during the tests I discovered that the NAD was not far away from Yamaha's sound. Not 2000 EURO away.

What I found out is that I got the bug of great sound. I knew after the NAD that I want an Aventage class receiver. I looked at the A6A, still waiting for the @gene review but the Yamaha dealer here said that they have no date on the A6A, but they already have in stock a A8A. I hesitated a lot, one month, and negotiated a lot, dropping the A8A price from 3600 EUR to 3200EUR. Since I do not believe that the chips crisis will resolve in 2022, I decided to order the A8A that will come in 48 long hours.

I described my journey here because I want to give you a sense about where my experience is coming from. I have a difficult room, as you see in the picture the speakers are confined in a box basically, but I doubt that that was the main factor why I could not get good sound from Denon and Marantz since I have great sound dynamics and spatiality from Yamaha. With the Sound United receivers, the spatiality was there but the dynamics were lacking.
1636898503164.png

Another factor in the setup was the wife who opposed to any change in the furniture and advocating the return to a soundbar instead of having so many cables around the house. So, now I am waiting for the A8A and the sound tests that will follow.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis