Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Unlikely, unless new SoC has some serious bump to ouput games that need such bandwidth.
Also I stream plex stuff from my Nas so I have unlimited storage. Well not really, my 10TB is full, need to change my drives to get more space lol. Champaign problems lol

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
FYI from Yamaha! Firmware update is a couple months out at least. Maybe longer since they originally said hdmi 2.1 firmware would be out end November
Well at least they are giving the Auro3D update on 11/30. That’s one of the updates.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ya pretty worthless for native content, but they say the Upmixer could be good. LOL :)
I’ve heard that for music auromatic is pretty good. Movies? Not so much…

I couldn’t give a shitt about Auro personally but the upmixer is interesting. As far as native content. There’s very little here, but you can get titles from across the pond.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’ve heard that for music auromatic is pretty good. Movies? Not so much…

I couldn’t give a shitt about Auro personally but the upmixer is interesting. As far as native content. There’s very little here, but you can get titles from across the pond.
Hopefully including Auro3D isn’t adding an expensive license fee that raises the cost. :)

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Oh yes then it will take some times before streaming support these resolution and refresh rate :)
Edit: Even Atmos content is almost non existent when not in English
Edit2: A bit disappointed by such a long delay for hdmi 2.1. I partially bought the RX-A8A to test/play games but right now not being able to run 4K 120Hz is stopping me from using my tv for gaming. Was expecting to get the firmware with the amp availability as Yamaha was saying they already got the firmware done et demoing some PS5 games if I remember correctly

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Will 2.1, really make that much of a difference? I'm guessing here, for gamers it seems to be a must have.
Yes I think hdmi 2.1 is only interesting for gaming, I don’t see any useful feature useful for content viewing. About gaming, could I send hdmi 2.1 directly to the TV hdmi 4 input (which is the only hdmi 2.1 on my TV), then use the eArc hdmi 3 from my tv plugged into the hdmi 1 output on the AVR to get the sound stream from the tv to the AVR ? I am lost on how to setup correctly the eArc as it’s not clear if it’s an input or output to me.
My current setup is
AppleTV to hdmi input 1
AVR hdmi output 1 to TV hdmi 3 (eArc) input.
Could the TV output sound through hdmi3 eArc when receiving some data through its hdmi 4 (2.1) input ?
I miss the time where TV outputs where simple to understand (optical or coaxial).

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Output sound from the TV through eARC depends on the sound settings of the TV. You can set it to 'passthrough' and thus the TV will always send the sound to the device which is connected to the other end of the eARC cable no matter which input you use to play whatever on the TV and no matter the sound codec. In your case the receiver will decode the sound and output it to the corresponding speakers depending on the audio content the TV sends to it. The only difference here is for LG TVs which cannot passthrough DTS coded content - so no audio in such configuration for DTS content.

Actually the way you describe is the only way at the moment to have 2.1 HDMI picture on the TV until Yamaha released the firmware update.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Output sound from the TV through eARC depends on the sound settings of the TV. You can set it to 'passthrough' and thus the TV will always send the sound to the device which is connected to the other end of the eARC cable no matter which input you use to play whatever on the TV and no matter the sound codec. The only difference here is for LG TVs they cannot passthrough DTS coded content - so no audio in such configuration.

Actually the way you describe is the only way at the moment to have 2.1 HDMI picture on the TV until Yamaha released the firmware update.
I will have a try. Let’s check if I can send 4K 120 Hz VRR HDR with Atmos to the Tv through a hdmi 2.1 optical extender and the get the sound up to the AVR running Atmos. So many things that can fail

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Also if you use the receiver to switch the input from the corresponding HDMI port to see the picture of the gaming console this means that you need to press the receiver remote to switch inputs and press the TV remote to switch to HDMI input from the receiver for the picture. If you connect the gaming console directly to the TV you just press the TV remote to switch to the HDMI input for the gaming console and that's it! The sound will be passed to the receiver anyway. And you will have better picture quality if you need to upscale to the TV resolution.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis