Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
I will have a try. Let’s check if I can send 4K 120 Hz VRR HDR with Atmos to the Tv through a hdmi 2.1 optical extender and the get the sound up to the AVR running Atmos. So many things that can fail
Not sure I understand why you need 'optical extender' and what exactly this is. With eARC HDMI cable video and sound goes through one cable. This actually is like a in/out for both TV and receiver.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Also if you use the receiver to switch the input from the corresponding HDMI port to see the picture of the gaming console this means that you need to press the receiver remote to switch inputs and press the TV remote to switch to HDMI input from the receiver for the picture. If you connect the gaming console directly to the TV you just press the TV remote to switch to the HDMI input for the gaming console and that's it! The sound will be passed to the receiver anyway. And you will have better picture quality if you need to upscale to the TV resolution.
Yes the purpose of this test is to sending directly to tv hdmi 2.1 content and then to see if eArc is able to stream Atmos from the TV to the AVR.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Not sure I understand why you need 'optical extender' and what exactly this is. With eARC HDMI cable video and sound goes through one cable. This actually is like a in/out for both TV and receiver.
The optical extender is a FiberCommand hdmi 2.1 extender (50 feet long) that allows (when working…) to send hdmi2.1 from my PC to the TV. It’s working when sending 4K HDR 120Hz VRR stream, but now I will add the Atmos sound which will stress the bandwidth even more.

E

EBN

Audioholic
SQ: in Direct mode, they will both sound equally great.

PQ: I would say toss up also. But most of us would never let an AVR process the video - most people would let either the Blu-ray player or the TV/PJ process the video.

As for measurements, if you're using Room EQ Digital Processing, who knows how bad those THD+N numbers will be after all that Processing.
I think this has gotten bit out of hand after ASR came as Amir is requiring so low SINAD that even some of the poorer products in the charts would fall below what we can hear. And to my knowledge the distortion with speakers is going to be bigger issue still. Even Amir admitted that not so good measuring Arcam will objectively sound excellent after you run Dirac Live making the THD+N of lesser issue cause it will have so dramatic result to what we hear vs. not doing any correction.

I could care less about THD+N if the room eq is doing it`s job correcting the room modes below room transit/Schroeder frequency as that is where the correction is needed most for speakers and subwoofers. I believe Floyd Toole has spoken lot about this and is against full range correction. Both XT32 with app limited to 300-500hz / YPAO on Low Frequency mode which puts all filters 250hz and below. For the latter there is already some feedback that it sounds better than old versions and finally corrects the bass frequencies to some extent where it has lacked the past 10years or so. Gene will be doing some measurements with YPAO when the other issues are in control as we want to see how effective it really is. I will also push Amir to do full review of new YPAO with REW before/after graphs when someone sends unit for him. He has already done that for Audussey w/ app.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
The optical extender is a FiberCommand hdmi 2.1 extender (50 feet long) that allows (when working…) to send hdmi2.1 from my PC to the TV. It’s working when sending 4K HDR 120Hz VRR stream, but now I will add the Atmos sound which will stress the bandwidth even more.
Your running your RX-A8A through the mill! Nice! I've been doing the same with my A4A. I just picked up a 2nd Sony 4K UBP-X700M player. Didn't really need it, cause I have a Sony 4K UBP-X700 already. The newer one is a updated 4K player with the (M) at the end paid 149.00 on sale. I don't have a dedicated CD player, so the older one is used specifically for CDs and the new one for 4K movies only. I leave my A4A on 24/7 playing around with every setting I can. Just something I do see if any bugs creep up. So far no issues performance has been really good.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I think this has gotten bit out of hand after ASR came as Amir is requiring so low SINAD that even some of the poorer products in the charts would fall below what we can hear. And to my knowledge the distortion with speakers is going to be bigger issue still. Even Amir admitted that not so good measuring Arcam will objectively sound excellent after you run Dirac Live making the THD+N of lesser issue cause it will have so dramatic result to what we hear vs. not doing any correction.

I could care less about THD+N if the room eq is doing it`s job correcting the room modes below room transit/Schroeder frequency as that is where the correction is needed most for speakers and subwoofers. I believe Floyd Toole has spoken lot about this and is against full range correction. Both XT32 with app limited to 300-500hz / YPAO on Low Frequency mode which puts all filters 250hz and below. For the latter there is already some feedback that it sounds better than old versions and finally corrects the bass frequencies to some extent where it has lacked the past 10years or so. Gene will be doing some measurements with YPAO when the other issues are in control as we want to see how effective it really is. I will also push Amir to do full review of new YPAO with REW before/after graphs when someone sends unit for him. He has already done that for Audussey w/ app.
Was wondering where you been, good of you to drop in. I'm curious also of Gene's findings with the A6A he is running through rigorous testing. I have the A4A, can't say I've heard and or seen any audio or video issues with my A4A, but that goes without saying. I can say your right YPAO: Low Frequency is really good for my setup anyways. It stays on that settings

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Gamer (and developer bliss)
4k, HDR, VVR, ALLM outputting in Atmos... Now AMD/nVidia/Intel it's time to beef our GPUs. RTX 3080 is outputting only 79fps with DLSS 2.0 maxing out the graphic settings :)
1636720132489.png

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I will also push Amir to do full review of new YPAO with REW before/after graphs when someone sends unit for him. He has already done that for Audussey w/ app
Which audyssey unit did he review like this, please? :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I agree on both the THD+N and Bass (250Hz) EQ points.

But it seems quite a few people are hung up on these THD+N/SINAD numbers. So I wanted to bring up the point that ALL PROCESSING (like Room EQ) will make the THD+N/SINAD look worse than in Pure Direct Mode. But yes, ALL these THD+N numbers are INAUDIBLE. Still, quite a few people seem completely hung up on these numbers.

The 2nd point is - if all we care about for EQ is the frequencies below 250Hz, do people need to spend thousands of dollars on Trinnov, Dirac, Lyngdorf, etc., to do full 20Hz-20kHz EQ for ALL CHANNELS? It seems Audyssey and YPAO or even manual PEQ can easily handle EQ below 250Hz.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Hey there are some audiophile gaming nerds that also enjoy home theatre ! :)
2.1 is just the way to max out the use of all these amazing sound systems. Movies, music, and games... One Ring to rules them all !

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
ONLY important for GAME NERDS. ;)

Not important for the REST OF US. :D
LMAO!! When I go visit my son's, walk in their homes and guess what, they are more than likely gaming. My oldest son age 43, has his Sony 65" tv on gaming, plus a 40" tv off to the side which he uses to pull up info on the game his is playing. His son in his room is 10 years old has a PS4 plus a full 5.1 setup head gear the work's. Same goes for my youngest son age 35. I believe it's my fault, cause I did start my son's off with Nintendo, PS1 and PS2 back in the day. Going back to the 80's with Zelda. I had no idea that home station gaming was gonna be like this. Same can be said for home audio/video.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Hey there are some audiophile gaming nerds that also enjoy home theatre ! :)
2.1 is just the way to max out the use of all these amazing sound systems. Movies, music, and games... One Ring to rules them all !
Lolo, yep can't disagree, it's fun to watch gotta say, they look like movies.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
LMAO!! When I go visit my son's, walk in their homes and guess what, they are more than likely gaming. My oldest son age 43, has his Sony 65" tv on gaming, plus a 40" tv off to the side which he uses to pull up info on the game his is playing. His son in his room is 10 years old has a PS4 plus a full 5.1 setup head gear the work's. Same goes for my youngest son age 35. I believe it's my fault, cause I did start my son's off with Nintendo, PS1 and PS2 back in the day. Going back to the 80's with Zelda. I had no idea that home station gaming was gonna be like this. Same can be said for home audio/video.
Don't just think gaming is for younger people. I am a 58 year old gamer with a PS5 and an Xbox X. Here is also my racing setup...
1636734774257.jpeg

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Don't just think gaming is for younger people. I am a 58 year old gamer with a PS5 and an Xbox X. Here is also my racing setup...
Woooow! Awesome!!! With such a setup you actually don't even care about the 2.1 issue with the AV receivers :D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
View attachment 51415
Don't start me on Sim Racing and VR ;) I sold my VR and Sim Rigs to buy some Mountain Bike equipment two or three years ago because returning to sport and to real world is good for both my mental and body health ;)
But I really think about going back to sim with the Fanatec Podium series or a Simucube... Nice rig Clone1008, head and shoulder above anything I owned when doing sim racing. But using a VR headset is putting you IN the car.

PC, sound systems, VR, sim racing, tools, mountain bikes, only some cheap hobbies :p

T

TadMoore

Enthusiast
Output sound from the TV through eARC depends on the sound settings of the TV. You can set it to 'passthrough' and thus the TV will always send the sound to the device which is connected to the other end of the eARC cable no matter which input you use to play whatever on the TV and no matter the sound codec. In your case the receiver will decode the sound and output it to the corresponding speakers depending on the audio content the TV sends to it. The only difference here is for LG TVs which cannot passthrough DTS coded content - so no audio in such configuration for DTS content.

Actually the way you describe is the only way at the moment to have 2.1 HDMI picture on the TV until Yamaha released the firmware update.
Actually, not true in all cases. I have the A4A and setup correctly, could not get audio from my STB to pass through to the receiver. Video yes, audio no. That was until about an hour ago. I replaced the STB with the current model (thanks Replicant 7!!! for pointing me in the right direction). Same exact connections, and viola! Now I have video and audio. As the saying goes, there's always a exception to the rule. Now I can continue setting up and enjoying my A4A.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Don't start me on Sim Racing and VR ;) I sold my VR and Sim Rigs to buy some Mountain Bike equipment two or three years ago because returning to sport and to real world is good for both my mental and body health ;)
But I really think about going back to sim with the Fanatec Podium series or a Simucube... Nice rig Clone1008, head and shoulder above anything I owned when doing sim racing. But using a VR headset is putting you IN the car.

PC, sound systems, VR, sim racing, tools, mountain bikes, only some cheap hobbies :p
VR makes me nauseous, can't do it...lol

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
VR makes me nauseous, can't do it...lol
I can understand that. Have been working on a VR game six years ago, before first Oculus Rift launch, using dev/prototypes Oculus Crescent Bay headset. Some colleagues were so sick sometimes that they were leaving the job to rest and recover. I developed a good tolerance in VR trying all the motion systems that today are used, but we had to figure out what was and wasn't working.

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Actually, not true in all cases. I have the A4A and setup correctly, could not get audio from my STB to pass through to the receiver. Video yes, audio no. That was until about an hour ago. I replaced the STB with the current model (thanks Replicant 7!!! for pointing me in the right direction). Same exact connections, and viola! Now I have video and audio. As the saying goes, there's always a exception to the rule. Now I can continue setting up and enjoying my A4A.
Interesting... What do you mean by 'STB'? What kind of format is the audio which you were not able to play?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis