Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
My fear in all of this is that these current models will only be supported for so long before the manufacturer has moved on to their next/current generation.
Yamaha must support marketed features, otherwise there will be a class action lawsuit. They know this. The game is heavily delayed firmware and the biggest problem is that people pay full and inflated prices for products that are not fully functional out of the box. It's like buying Intel's processor and they say 6 cores work out of 8, and we will enable another two when we figure out how to cool them properly. You pay for 8 cores and you use 6. Ridiculous.

AVR vendors should be banned from selling such devices. It's a disgrace what they are doing and consumer law should step up to curb such practices in future. Any product must do what it says on the box and in the spec. There cannot be "*" in the spec saying that something essential is coming in future. It's absurd.

Last edited:
clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
???
They will continue to support them as long as is required by their warranties, and even then you could still possibly see some updates if needed for some reason. These won't all just be cut off whenever a new updated product hits the shelves.
"Support" them yes as far as repair work but no way they keep them updated for 5 years. Going into this with units that are not working out of the box and a ticking clock towards the next gen models should be of some concern. Heck Samsung for example makes is very clear that they will only update their phones for 2 years and then they are EOL.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Yamaha must support marketed features, otherwise there will be a class action lawsuit. They know this. The game is heavily delayed firmware and the biggest problem is that people pay full and inflated prices for products that are not fully functional out of the box. It's like buying Intel's processor and they say 6 cores work out of 8, and we will enable another two when we figure out how to cool them properly. You pay for 8 cores and you use 6. Ridiculous.

AVR vendors should be banned from selling such devices. It's a disgrace what they are doing and consumer law should step up to curb such practices in future. Any product must do what it says on the box and in the spec. There cannot be "*" in the spec saying that something essential is coming in future. It's absurd.
Exactly my point.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
"Support" them yes as far as repair work but no way they keep them updated for 5 years.
It depends on how essential features to be updated are. Support may come beyond 2 years. No reason not to.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
"Support" them yes as far as repair work but no way they keep them updated for 5 years. Going into this with units that are not working out of the box and a ticking clock towards the next gen models should be of some concern. Heck Samsung for example makes is very clear that they will only update their phones for 2 years and then they are EOL.
Both of us pretty much said the same thing...
all of the companies will support these for as long as there are binding warranties requiring them to support the product.
If you are considering 10 years out... good luck.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Both of us pretty much said the same thing...
all of the companies will support these for as long as there are binding warranties requiring them to support the product.
If you are considering 10 years out... good luck.
I bought the best of the market LG OLED in 2016 which is longer supported in any way with updates nor any "support" for burn in.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Going into this with units that are not working out of the box
This is why I've been lambasting everybody running out to buy these considering what we know about them, and more importantly considering what we don't know about them.
At least with SU, their stuff might still be flawed, but its working. This cannot be said about these new Yammies.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
How long was the warranty?
3 years but it was a very well known issue within 2 years. I just didn't experience any issues until 4 years. And their "fix" was to replace the panel with a substandard one that no longer had 3D capability which is the one thing that makes/made my unit so sought after within that world.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
3 years but it was a very well known issue within 2 years. I just didn't experience any issues until 4 years. And their "fix" was to replace the panel with a substandard one that no longer had 3D capability which is the one thing that makes/made my unit so sought after within that world.
Sadly, that's the state of modern Commerce.
I had a similar issue with our old Samsung flat panel, but we got in just under the warranty and it was repaired by a tech at our home at no charge to us.
My 2013 iMac is well beyond any coverage, yet I still get updates... just no support for repair if something fails.

Consumer Protection is vital. You may have seen instances where comments have been made about now requirements and enforcement that some of this gear in our hobby work as advertised be put in place. Right now, regulations are largely toothless and have no enforcement.
Regardless, after the warranty expires, there is no further obligation a company has to you or their product. While an AVR should last 5-7 yrs no sweat, and we can hope for 10, truth is these are disposable in the 3-5 yr range.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Sadly, that's the state of modern Commerce.
I had a similar issue with our old Samsung flat panel, but we got in just under the warranty and it was repaired by a tech at our home at no charge to us.
My 2013 iMac is well beyond any coverage, yet I still get updates... just no support for repair if something fails.

Consumer Protection is vital. You may have seen instances where comments have been made about now requirements and enforcement that some of this gear in our hobby work as advertised be put in place. Right now, regulations are largely toothless and have no enforcement.
Regardless, after the warranty expires, there is no further obligation a company has to you or their product. While an AVR should last 5-7 yrs no sweat, and we can hope for 10, truth is these are disposable in the 3-5 yr range.
"I had a similar issue with our old Samsung flat panel, but we got in just under the warranty and it was repaired by a tech at our home at no charge to us." That's great but in my case even the one's that were able to get theirs "fixed" within the warranty period were given sub standard panels with a MAJOR feature removed. It basically took their models down 1 to 2 levels.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
While an AVR should last 5-7 yrs no sweat, and we can hope for 10, truth is these are disposable in the 3-5 yr range.
True. There are sometimes deals encouraging people to spend. In Australia, pre-orders on A8A model can receive 10 year warranty (5+5 promo)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's great but in my case even the one's that were able to get theirs "fixed" within the warranty period were given sub standard panels with a MAJOR feature removed. It basically took their models down 1 to 2 levels.
That should be illegal. Have looked to see if a suit was filed? How many people were affected?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
True. There are sometimes deals encouraging people to spend. In Australia, pre-orders on A8A model can receive 10 year warranty (5+5 promo)
Ya? Did they get full functionality out of the box? :p
Frankly, that’s what I would call “polishing a turd!” ;)

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Ya? Did they get full functionality out of the box? :p
Frankly, that’s what I would call “polishing a turd!” ;)
You gotta try to sell a product... if you do not have HDMI 2.1 board functioning out of the box, you offer additional 5 years of warranty, so that buyers get tempted. Old trick.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You gotta try to sell a product... if you do not have HDMI 2.1 board functioning out of the box, you offer additional 5 years of warranty, so that buyers get tempted. Old trick.
And they fall for it every time.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
And they fall for it every time.
Not necessarily. There are many folks in Australian Yamaha thread that are also vary of new models. Additional 5 year warranty was only offered on CX and MX series before, so high end. As much as it sounds attractive, folks also questioned the necessity of such offer, as A8A costs over $6200 AUD, a jaw-dropping price.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Not necessarily. There are many folks in Australian Yamaha thread that are also vary of new models. Additional 5 year warranty was only offered on CX and MX series before, so high end. As much as it sounds attractive, folks also questioned the necessity of such offer, as A8A costs over $6200 AUD, a jaw-dropping price.
*shakes head disapprovingly
Oof. That's steep. At least there are others smart enough to be skeptical.

I'm just biding my time for Monolith to get their act together with the HTP-1, or SU to release next year... and there had better be a fully implemented Flagship. If Mono is still dragging there feet and Denon drops a working 8800, I might just...
Will be interesting too if the JBL SDP-58 actually works... and the Anthem AVM-90.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Heavy is the head that where's the crown.:p:cool: Just by Yamaha.:cool:
Yamaha-RX-A8A-Review-Header.jpg

Last edited:
AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Heavy is the head that where's the crown.:p:cool: Just by Yamaha.
Hahaha! It's far from wearing any crown, let alone THE crown, I am afraid.
This very model was showcased at CES in January 2020 already, so it's almost two years they can't get things right... I'd say that the king is naked, rather than wearing any crown.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis