Audyssey Issues and Ultra Surrounds..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just to add... my one experience with dynamic volume was when I had turned it on to play around and forgot. I played some "Korn" later that day and every time there was a bass drop the volume cut out and I could barely hear it. I thought something was seriously wrong with my subs until I remembered I had turned dynamic volume on. Once I turned it off I had my bass back.

Fred, the only thing I can tell you is I don't think you have a very good grasp on what most folks consider to be "good sound", or at least what the terms mean. Your comment about dynamics is telling. You're telling us that you have better dynamics with DV turned on and unless your unit somehow reversed "on" and "off", there's no way that's possible. That program does the complete polar opposite of enhance dynamics! It's specifically there ONLY to kill dynamics! Maybe that's just how you like it, and there's nothing wrong with that. Most of us like an even frequency response with as much of the original content intact as possible, including dynamics.

All that said, maybe you just prefer less dynamics and tamed bass and there's nothing wrong with that. If you like it better then run with it, ignore us and enjoy your system! It's not like "you're doing it wrong". Ultimately your happiness is what counts most for you. We're just a bunch of shitheads on a forum spewing forth our own personal opinions at the end of the day!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'd never call these guys shitheads, but now that the cat is out of the bag...:D Every setup and room are different. Every set of ears are different as well. I never used dynamic eq or dynamic volume with my Denons. I think some feel obligated to use the settings room correction spits out. I kinda' always used the measurements as a reference and only held on to the sub distance and volume settings in most cases. I'd play with speaker placement and turning other channels down instead of bumping the center up. I think the dialogue from the center may be competing with sounds from fronts very near to it in that room. But, opinions are like assholes and every shithead has one.:D You'll find your own sweet spot for your setup the way most around here have done. There are some that still fight with their systems and you may find yourself doing so for awhile. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the battle.:)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd never call these guys shitheads, but now that the cat is out of the bag...:D Every setup and room are different. Every set of ears are different as well. I never used dynamic eq or dynamic volume with my Denons. I think some feel obligated to use the settings room correction spits out. I kinda' always used the measurements as a reference and only held on to the sub distance and volume settings in most cases. I'd play with speaker placement and turning other channels down instead of bumping the center up. I think the dialogue from the center may be competing with sounds from fronts very near to it in that room. But, opinions are like assholes and every shithead has one.:D You'll find your own sweet spot for your setup the way most around here have done. There are some that still fight with their systems and you may find yourself doing so for awhile. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the battle.:)
Trell made a comment earlier and I think he mighta nailed it.
Only you can answer why Dynamic Volume sounds better to you! Possibly the dialogue is more clear to you and thus more easily understandable?
I think he's using movies or tv to judge what he's hearing and not music. He's been struggling with dialogue issues. I can totally see dynamic volume cutting the dynamics on louder effects and making dialogue sound clearer.

@fast fred try some music with bass drops in it once, like Korn or maybe some rap music with deep bass drops in it. Turn it up a little and see what happens to the music.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve never like DV either, loathe it actually. I prefer my dynamics as recorded and don’t like my whispers as loud as my gunshots. Just like the music loudness wars. High hats shouldn’t be as loud as a half stack. Don’t like DeQ either but that’s complicated. Fred, you can’t help liking what you like, so definitely take our advice with a grain of salt. It’s just that many of us have been doing this awhile and have honed our preferences over time as well as understanding why the tech does what it does. Even still, my buddies@pogre and @lovinthehd as well both like Deq. I don’t. But none of us is wrong.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Forgot to ask. What exactly IS better for you Fred, with DV on? Can you describe it?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve never like DV either, loathe it actually. I prefer my dynamics as recorded and don’t like my whispers as loud as my gunshots. Just like the music loudness wars. High hats shouldn’t be as loud as a half stack. Don’t like DeQ either but that’s complicated. Fred, you can’t help liking what you like, so definitely take our advice with a grain of salt. It’s just that many of us have been doing this awhile and have honed our preferences over time as well as understanding why the tech does what it does. Even still, my buddies@pogre and @lovinthehd as well both like Deq. I don’t. But none of us is wrong.
Yep in the end it's just what you prefer (or need to use to keep others in the house happier). DynEQ I do generally use at lower volumes particularly, which is most of my listening these days. I'll turn it off for louder sessions, but trying to be nicer to my ears so don't do that very often.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Just to add... my one experience with dynamic volume was when I had turned it on to play around and forgot. I played some "Korn" later that day and every time there was a bass drop the volume cut out and I could barely hear it. I thought something was seriously wrong with my subs until I remembered I had turned dynamic volume on. Once I turned it off I had my bass back.

Fred, the only thing I can tell you is I don't think you have a very good grasp on what most folks consider to be "good sound", or at least what the terms mean. Your comment about dynamics is telling. You're telling us that you have better dynamics with DV turned on and unless your unit somehow reversed "on" and "off", there's no way that's possible. That program does the complete polar opposite of enhance dynamics! It's specifically there ONLY to kill dynamics! Maybe that's just how you like it, and there's nothing wrong with that. Most of us like an even frequency response with as much of the original content intact as possible, including dynamics.

All that said, maybe you just prefer less dynamics and tamed bass and there's nothing wrong with that. If you like it better then run with it, ignore us and enjoy your system! It's not like "you're doing it wrong". Ultimately your happiness is what counts most for you. We're just a bunch of shitheads on a forum spewing forth our own personal opinions at the end of the day!

LOL - thanks - I got you - so If I turn off DV, I will most definitely be forced to TURN up the master volume to get the full effect of sounds - is this normal protocol? Is that what you find you do if DV is off vs. on?

Cheers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Saw that in another thread after I asked. It sure where to go as I’m not a fan of turning up the CC either...
Something doesn't seem right. He did move his cc and tilted it up a little and it looks pretty good. My next thought would be which sources he's using to judge quality? If it's a movie like "Tenet" good luck trying to make the dialogue clear with any setting!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
LOL - thanks - I got you - so If I turn off DV, I will most definitely be forced to TURN up the master volume to get the full effect of sounds - is this normal protocol? Is that what you find you do if DV is off vs. on?

Cheers
By disabling DV you will have a much larger dynamic range of sound levels, as it is no longer compressed, so yeah, you have to increase the volume. No way around that one.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Cheers
I don't have any of the issues you're describing unless it's the actual source, in which case there's nothing I could do about it anyway. I will say that I'm very careful during the setup routine to use all 8 measurements, measure between each one with a tape to make sure it's no more than 20" from the first one, get my noise floor as quiet as possible and make sure the mic is at ear height.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Cheers
Yes.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I don't have any of the issues you're describing unless it's the actual source, in which case there's nothing I could do about it anyway. I will say that I'm very careful during the setup routine to use all 8 measurements, measure between each one with a tape to make sure it's no more than 20" from the first one, get my noise floor as quiet as possible and make sure the mic is at ear height.
@fast fred Listen to him as he have new speakers every half week or so, and he really have the measurements and calibrations down to the nano level! :p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Something doesn't seem right. He did move his cc and tilted it up a little and it looks pretty good. My next thought would be which sources he's using to judge quality? If it's a movie like "Tenet" good luck trying to make the dialogue clear with any setting!
Exactly. Lots of movies are not mixed well, or intentionally with hard to hear dialogue. Looking at YOU Chris Nolan lol.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Sources are: basically all

Netflix
Apple TV
Disney
Vudu
Panasonic 820 disk

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The dialogue, or lack of it, is not the main point of the movie :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sources are: basically all

Netflix
Apple TV
Disney
Vudu
Panasonic 820 disk
What I mean by sources is which movies? Some movies are mixed with great, clear dialogue and some just aren't. If you're watching one of those movies with crappy dialogue it's not the fault of your system or your speakers.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Forgot to ask. What exactly IS better for you Fred, with DV on? Can you describe it?
its really just a matter of higher and fuller volume/sounds with DV ON - when its off I feel like something is wrong and some speakers sound like they are off completely! (sound is low and well, less dynamic)

Its insane I know but thats what I experience. Thats why am I always accustomed to selecting DV as ON when I run Audyssey on this system and also the other system I run upstairs - it always worked for me better when ON.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis