Audyssey Issues and Ultra Surrounds..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks

What about Dialog enhancer setting with the Denon AVR?
Do you use that?
Does that help?
I've never used it. I don't really have issues with hearing dialogue for the most part. I've always had a bookshelf for a center channel.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
This is really weird. -The Denon changed the Audyssey Dynamic settings - I was listening to netflix last night and the sound was piss poor for some reason, I checked under Audyssey and the Dynamic Volume was set to off when indeed it was changed to on when I was calibrating because it always sounds better with the setting on.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You must not like bass very much if you turn dynamic volume on...

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
:D

Dynamic volume is useful for those time you watch cable and want to reduce the noise level of "messages" without using the remote control.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So why does it sound better with DV on??

Pardon the pun but it sounds more Dynamic with Dynamic Volume on

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

Only you can answer why Dynamic Volume sounds better to you! Possibly the dialogue is more clear to you and thus more easily understandable?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So what should I do?
Set DV off?

Dynamic EQ on???
Use whatever sounds the best to you! For Dynamic EQ you can set a lower, so called, Reference Level, that will have less bass emphasis, I usually have that turned down for my own preference.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Dont mean to be an ass - but with DV on and watching Mad Max, the sofa shakes and the hair on my neck dances, so what do you mean exactly? The bass is fantastic with DV on?!

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Use whatever sounds the best to you! For Dynamic EQ you can set a lower, so called, Reference Level, that will have less bass emphasis, I usually have that turned down for my own preference.
So turn DV off and EQ Reference on? If so what levels for EQ?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
All of this is a preference, nothing more nothing less, so experiment with various settings to find something you like.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Dont mean to be an ass - but with DV on and watching Mad Max, the sofa shakes and the hair on my neck dances, so what do you mean exactly? The bass is fantastic with DV on?!
Dynamic volume compresses everything so all sounds are ~the same level for late night viewing. It's intended to kill your bass without disturbing the neighbors.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So turn DV off and EQ Reference on? If so what levels for EQ?
Here's a chart illustrating what Dynamic EQ and the different Reference Level offsets do for your bass.

06-22-20 DEQ RLO EQ1.jpg

I've never taken any measurements with Dynamic Volume turned on because I never use it. It completely kills my bass.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

That's funny because Dynamic volume specifically kills dynamics! Everything is compressed to the same volume!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I swiped this quote from another thread I just saw...

Dynamic Volume is a technology that takes the edge off of sudden sonic transitions. Imagine you are watching an action movie late at night, and a scene begins with subdued conversation, then suddenly gunfire erupts. If you have kids sleeping, most of the time you find yourself rushing for the remote to turn down the volume. Dynamic Volume "looks ahead" and cuts 12-17db off of the volume, but does so very naturally and the effect is seamless. The "look ahead" is not so much as to cause sync issues, but does an amazing job of silencing sudden or loud passages.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis