Audyssey Issues and Ultra Surrounds..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Do I set the crossovers and levels after or before Audyssey Calibration?

Also I always find myself bumping up the levels a bit after Aud sets them (too low) - is that bad?
What levels are you bumping?

Doesn't matter where you set crossovers before running Audyssey. It's going to make its own adjustments through the setup process. I can already tell you it's gonna set your towers large and apply too low crossover points. I go in after running Audyssey, set speakers small and crossovers 80 hz to start.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As mentioned Audyssey will reset things, so no point in setting levels/delays before running it. Afterwards I'd change all speakers to small if using sub(s) and start with an 80hz crossover and experiment from there....and with the avr suggested crossovers (if it were up to Audyssey they'd simply set speakers to small and start with 80hz, but the avr manufacturers have generally done otherwise). You can raise suggested crossovers, but lowering suggested crossovers can leave a gap in eq.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
What levels are you bumping?

Doesn't matter where you set crossovers before running Audyssey. It's going to make its own adjustments through the setup process. I can already tell you it's gonna set your towers large and apply too low crossover points. I go in after running Audyssey, set speakers small and crossovers 80 hz to start.
I seem to always bump the CNTER channel after calibration
And yes I have done the necessary pull the center up, away from cabinet, etc

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I seem to always bump the CNTER channel after calibration
And yes I have done the necessary pull the center up, away from cabinet, etc
Gotta pic of where you have your centre channel right now? If that's all you are bumping, it's not too unusual. Still sounds like a placement issue to me tho...

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Gotta pic of where you have your centre channel right now? If that's all you are bumping, it's not too unusual. Still sounds like a placement issue to me tho...
IMG_5667.jpeg

You seen it before
Here.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There could be other things going on in there... we can't see the whole room, but if you are backed up against a wall or just sitting in a null, for example, you won't be able to boost your way out of it.

How high are you boosting the center?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Way too high.
Remember, a +3dB boost requires a doubling of power, and this augmentation is usually done in the digital domain which can increase distortion. If your Amp starts to clip and does so with a distorted signal: #POOF-goes-the-tweet
Explodindo Pássaro Boom Explosão Shrek GIF - Exploding Bird Boom - Discover  & Share GIFs

I'm not meaning to scare you, but there are possible consequences.
Something is not right in your room.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Way too high.
Remember, a +3dB boost requires a doubling of power, and this augmentation is usually done in the digital domain which can increase distortion. If your Amp starts to clip and does so with a distorted signal: #POOF-goes-the-tweet
Explodindo Pássaro Boom Explosão Shrek GIF - Exploding Bird Boom - Discover  & Share GIFs

Well I have been bumping for a while :)

Lucky I am I guess.....

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Way too high.

so like you mean pop goes the weasel? Is that the consequence you are referring to?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Ultra Center and Towers are 87 and 88dB sensitivity, respectively, per SVS site. If your room is set up properly, you should have very little differentiation between their Trim Levels in Audyssey.
I've not heard negative things about the intelligibility of that center, and considering how popular their speakers seem to be, I would expect many more complaints if this were an issue that extended beyond the boundaries of your room.

If you do not already have one, I would recommend getting an SPL meter to help you in checking your levels. Again, something isn't right.

This is what I bought:
Though if I had planned ahead, I may have bought a more expensive meter like this based on Reed's reputation for measurement devices:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, you asked, we offered.
It is your system. Do with it as you wish.

Cheers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
so like you mean pop goes the weasel? Is that the consequence you are referring to?
Yes, that's what he's referring to as an extreme example. I think a 3 or 4 dB bump won't cause you too much an issue unless you're really cranking it up. @ryanosaur is absolutely correct that a 3 dB bump requires a doubling of power tho, so if you're getting close to limits the center will be receiving double the power of say, your main speakers and that can be an issue for sure.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Maybe this will help?

I propped up the front end of the center

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe this will help?

I propped up the front end of the center
That was one of my suggestions, yes. It might help.

Another thing to consider, not all recordings are created equal and sometimes the way it's mixed/mastered might just suck for dialogue. If you're watching a movie like "Tenet" good luck trying to make the dialogue clear with that one. A lot of movies are like that. I think "Master and Commander" is known to be a good source for the way it's mastered on the Blu Ray. Otherwise I'll bet a Google search will turn up other movies with clear dialogue you can check out too.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Thanks

What about Dialog enhancer setting with the Denon AVR?
Do you use that?
Does that help?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis