Audyssey Issues and Ultra Surrounds..

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah it’s strange

Me neither

I wonder if I was tinkering with something and caused it

I know I didn’t touch restore though...

Anyway am I correct with setting the speakers to small and letting the PB4000 do the heavy lifting?

Also setting the crossovers higher like 120?

Thanks
120 hz seems pretty high for the Ultra towers. 80 should work really well unless (like me) you have a room null or something. I did use 120 hz crossover for a long time but fought with it and got it down to 90 hz eventually.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
In my opinion at 120hz that is too high unless you have 2 subs. Although some people may not be as sensitive to localization.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
So each time a new speaker is added, Audyssey needs to be run?

I added the Ultra Tower, ran speaker setup NOT Audyssey, and it wont play - I guess I need to run it again, it just takes so long!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
So each time a new speaker is added, Audyssey needs to be run?

I added the Ultra Tower, ran speaker setup NOT Audyssey, and it wont play - I guess I need to run it again, it just takes so long!
Yes, at least if you want the AVR to set levels and distances for each speaker.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Localization?
Meaning you can tell where the bass is coming from. If you have subs in different locations in the room you'll be able to tell where they are located by ear with a high crossover. Below 80-100 hz it's more omnidirectional and much harder to localize. If I recall correctly you have both of your subs up front with your speakers? If so then localization isn't really an issue for you because all of the sound is coming from the same location.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Meaning you can tell where the bass is coming from. If you have subs in different locations in the room you'll be able to tell where they are located by ear with a high crossover. Below 80-100 hz it's more omnidirectional and much harder to localize. If I recall correctly you have both of your subs up front with your speakers? If so then localization isn't really an issue for you because all of the sound is coming from the same location.
no only one PB4000

pair of Ultra Towers

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
For me a max of 110hz can work. 120hz is too high with one sub.

In another room with dual subs I use 120hz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can easily use a xover of 120 without sub localization....but have four subs (but even with another system where have just two subs, no localization up to that level as well).

Last edited:
fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
You need to run Audyssey again! Lol

And make sure you have clean connections!
Another dead ultra speaker!

No highs from this new ultra tower

Only get bass

Very frustrating

This is my second bad SVS ultra

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Another dead ultra speaker!

No highs from this new ultra tower

Only get bass

Very frustrating

This is my second bad SVS ultra
Are the Jumpers properly in place? (Make certain you are fully powered down before playing with that.)

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
oops my bad - the jumpers were NOT seated right - do I connect to top or bottom row?

Should these be set to LARGE or small in Settings?

Thanks

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
With the jumpers properly seated, it doesn’t really matter which row... but considering tweeters are much more limited in their power handling capabilities, I usually stick with plugging into the Low side just in case.
You are using them with subs, so I would set to small and cross over between 60 and 80.
My speakers which reach down to 25hz are crossed at 80 because I get better clarity from the mids and highs there than if I cross lower.
Remember, the xo is not a hard cut, but a gentle slope, so your speakers are still reproducing below.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
oops my bad - the jumpers were NOT seated right - do I connect to top or bottom row?

Should these be set to LARGE or small in Settings?

Thanks
Ha! I knew it had to be the jumpers. The towers especially can be a little finicky about that. I had a similar issue, reseated the jumpers and it was good to go.

Small setting if you're using subwoofers! I'd start with 80 hz crossover and experiment from there.

fast fred

fast fred

Full Audioholic
Ha! I knew it had to be the jumpers. The towers especially can be a little finicky about that. I had a similar issue, reseated the jumpers and it was good to go.

Small setting if you're using subwoofers! I'd start with 80 hz crossover and experiment from there.
Do I set the crossovers and levels after or before Audyssey Calibration?

Also I always find myself bumping up the levels a bit after Aud sets them (too low) - is that bad?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Do I set the crossovers and levels after or before Audyssey Calibration?

Also I always find myself bumping up the levels a bit after Aud sets them (too low) - is that bad?
Why reset them? Audyssey does two things very well: level matching and distance/delay.

Adjusting levels is personal preference, however you should never boost a signal much above 0... doing so involves digital processing which is the fastest way to introduce distortion into your signal... thus increasing likelihood of clipping the Amp and possibly destroying a driver.

Run Audyssey, let it determine everything, go back and reset speakers to Small. If you have a good SPL meter, you can double check the levels, channel by channel, to assure they are matched.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis