Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
They might just not be as sensitive as the main speakers. Did op give us a speaker list? If so I missed it and really don't wanna dig back through 20 pages to find it... lol.

Also @OldAndSlowDev, did you manually adjust your mains so they're at 0.0? I would leave them wherever YPAO had them. The idea is to have them all playing the same volume at mlp and room interactions and positioning can result in some differences.
I didn’t did anything to the front speaker levels
Front B&W 704 (2006, my 30yo birthday present)
Center B&W HTM71 S2
Surround/Back B&W 707 S2
Subs REL Tx9 (they match the glossy black finish of the B&Ws, I know there are less expensive and more performant subs)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you have any advice:)
Oh boy, that looks really good! I don't think I'd change anything. Your placement is very good, tweeters are at ear height and your height speakers look pretty good too. I can tell you did a little research on proper placement. As far as volume discrepancies check my above post,.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
BTW that is a great looking tidy room. It’s obvious grandchildren don’t visit often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
BTW that is a great looking tidy room. It’s obvious grandchildren don’t visit often.

While my Nickname is OldAndSlowDev, I am just 45, my daughters aren’t old enough yet me to be a grandpa… This nickname comes from when I was still working at Ubisoft and I participated to an internal Rainbow 6 tournament. I was obviously the oldest, most players were in the 20s so my teammates wanted to tell other teams to be gentle as they had an old man in their team. We managed… to win the tournament :cool:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I didn’t did anything to the front speaker levels
Front B&W 704 (2006, my 30yo birthday present)
Center B&W HTM71 S2
Surround/Back B&W 707 S2
Subs REL Tx9 (they match the glossy black finish of the B&Ws, I know there are less expensive and more performant subs)
Some pretty nice speakers too!

Okay, your trim levels. The 707s have a sensitivity of 84 dB and the 702s are 88 dB. That's a 4 dB difference, and they look to be roughly the same distance from mlp. I would expect the trim to be 4 - 5 dB higher for the surround speakers just based on specs and it looks like YPAO nailed it.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Oh boy, that looks really good! I don't think I'd change anything. Your placement is very good, tweeters are at ear height and your height speakers look pretty good too. I can tell you did a little research on proper placement. As far as volume discrepancies check my above post,.
It looks good and sounds even better (limited of course to my knowledge). Wiring has been challenging. Can’t wire through walls. Plain wood isn’t wire friendly

Last edited:
G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Aaaa, well, false advertizing nickname. I am old and slow and seemingly have an inexhaustible supply of replaceable grandchildren. I had to mount my surrounds UP on the walls.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
I had a look to the Denon X8500HA because my previous amp was a Denon AVC-A1D but here it's 6000 CAD when I got the RX-A8A for 3850 CAD so while I can understand that the small THD+N difference matters to expert, in my case it's not worth the 55% cost increase.

I also still have high hope of a good hdmi 2.1 seven inputs support... some day.
Good price

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
If you have any advice:)
Very nice room and setup mine is very similar except put everything by the two windows and I use the whole length of the room . I’d not change anything on placement at all . You do have a lot of glass behind you for reflection it just seemed your side and rear surrounds were a little high and I do sit farther away from mine . That’s a great setup you’ve got for sure . My rears are like 11 feet behind me and my sides are 8 feet away I have a pic somewhere on what mine set everything too . But that is of no use for your setup .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It looks good and sound even better (limited of course to my knowledge). Wiring has been challenging. Can’t wire through walls. Plain wood isn’t wire friendly
Given your speakers and placement I have no doubt it sounds pretty amazing, and getting your bass straightened out is only going to make it better. I was genuinely surprised how much better my whole system sounded once I got my subs dialed in.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Does this new avr support the app from Yamaha if so it’s neat to get in the different sound field menus and see how the different settings change and what they do the visual reference you can see change as you increase or decrease the parameters is a good understanding as you hear and see what it’s doing it really helped me to understand what they did after a while you think ok this is what this does or this sounds better with a certain room size change to the surrounds or the dsp levels. There fun to experiment with .

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Given your speakers and placement I have no doubt it sounds pretty amazing, and getting your bass straightened out is only going to make it better. I was genuinely surprised how much better my whole system sounded once I got my subs dialed in.
I am experimenting 80hz crossover. It makes a major difference. This with +1dB on YPAO ref level gives more punch to the lows. Now it’s just a matter a (my) taste

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Does this new avr support the app from Yamaha if so it’s neat to get in the different sound field menus and see how the different settings change and what they do the visual reference you can see change as you increase or decrease the parameters is a good understanding as you hear and see what it’s doing it really helped me to understand what they did after a while you think ok this is what this does or this sounds better with a certain room size change to the surrounds or the dsp levels. There fun to experiment with .
It works with the app or with 192.168.X.X/setup (with your amp IP address). Really useful to tweak from listening position.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am experimenting 80hz crossover. It makes a major difference. This with +1dB on YPAO ref level gives more punch to the lows. Now it’s just a matter a (my) taste
You got it man. Just experiment a little bit until you get it dialed to your taste from here. Congrats on your new receiver and learning how to integrate your subs! Now is where the fun comes in.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a way to limit YPAO to just focusing on sub levels? Like say below the Schroeder frequency? Bass is usually what needs the most work when it comes to straightening out the frequency response.
Yes. You can.

BUT it takes 3 steps.

1. Apply YPAO 20Hz-20kHz
2. Copy Flat or Natural YPAO to MANUAL PEQ.
3. Under Manual PEQ, manually set all frequencies above 200Hz to 0.0dB.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now...

Here is where, especially for movies, you have opportunity for more improvement by replacing those subs. I can believe those RELs are producing clean bass down into the 30s and are adding some depth and tactile bass for you, but (here comes the "but" :p) you can do better for less.

You already acknowledged that so I'm not picking on you. I'm just giving you a nudge. You might be surprised what even deeper, linear, clean bass brings to the table. Even with some music that doesn't dig that deep. It adds more depth and weight to stuff like bass guitars, kick drums and lower tuned toms that's subtle but noticeable. If you get an itch to upgrade or take your system to the next level I think you should look at subwoofers next. SVS make gorgeous (imo) piano gloss black subwoofers that kick ass and would match aesthetically very nicely with your speakers.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes. You can.

BUT it takes 3 steps.

1. Apply YPAO 20Hz-20kHz
2. Copy Flat or Natural YPAO to MANUAL PEQ.
3. Under Manual PEQ, manually set all frequencies above 200Hz to 0.0dB.
That is good to know for future reference, and it's a clever way to go about doing it!

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
It works with the app or with 192.168.X.X/setup (with your amp IP address). Really useful to tweak from listening position.
Yes it gives you a visual of what your changing as you hear it . I’ve had lots ooh this is what this does moments lol . It doesn’t help with Yamaha’s cryptic descriptions either it almost needs a cross reference to other brands to understand what these parameters do .

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is good to know for future reference, and it's a clever way to go about doing it!
That is what I do.

But since I don’t like Flat (or “Natural” bass), I also boost some frequencies from 40-100Hz to get this. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis