Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That is what I do.

But since I don’t like Flat (or “Natural” bass), I also boost some frequencies from 40-100Hz to get this. :D

Ha.

I start boosting right around my crossover (80 -90 hz) and down too so we're pretty close there.

06-22-20 house curve.jpg

*Edit: 75 dB is the baseline for flat, or no boost like below.

06-22-20 final fr.jpg

Last edited:
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yes. You can.

BUT it takes 3 steps.

1. Apply YPAO 20Hz-20kHz
2. Copy Flat or Natural YPAO to MANUAL PEQ.
3. Under Manual PEQ, manually set all frequencies above 200Hz to 0.0dB.
Would applying ypao 20hz to 20hz be the same as using Through in the peq ?

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Now...

Here is where, especially for movies, you have opportunity for more improvement by replacing those subs. I can believe those RELs are producing clean bass down into the 30s and are adding some depth and tactile bass for you, but (here comes the "but" :p) you can do better for less.

You already acknowledged that so I'm not picking on you. I'm just giving you a nudge. You might be surprised what even deeper, linear, clean bass brings to the table. Even with some music that doesn't dig that deep. It adds more depth and weight to stuff like bass guitars, kick drums and lower tuned toms that's subtle but noticeable. If you get an itch to upgrade or take your system to the next level I think you should look at subwoofers next. SVS make gorgeous (imo) piano gloss black subwoofers that kick ass and would match aesthetically very nicely with your speakers.
Me looking SVS 4000 piano black…
Nooooooo
I would need more space to make these fit into my setup :)
And I have another hobby that is maybe even more expensive: mountain bike so I have to stop XD

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Me looking SVS 4000 piano black…
Nooooooo
I would need more space to make these fit into my setup :)
And I have another hobby that is maybe even more expensive: mountain bike so I have to stop XD
You might be able to wiggle a pair of PC4000s in there with a 16" (40 cm) diameter footprint...

PC4000.jpg

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
Can you post a picture with the angles and height measures, please?
Here is the REW 1/6 smoothed of the measured YPAO FR and Center speakers, Straight 80 -20k Hz.
This is all I could do before family coming home. I will try to measure pure direct and corrected to see the differences.
1638124399992.png

1/12 smoothed

1638124703188.png

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Can you post a picture with the angles and height measures, please?
Here is the REW 1/6 smoothed of the measured YPAO FR and Center speakers, Straight 80 -20k Hz.
This is all I could do before family coming home. I will try to measure pure direct and corrected to see the differences.
View attachment 51856

1/12 smoothed

View attachment 51857
My front presence are 1.5m above listening level. Front presence and front speakers are 21degrees to fit Dolby guidelines and respect Gene 80% guidelines (within half an inch error). Surrounds are 100degrees

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
My front presence are 1.5m above listening level. Front presence and front speakers are 21degrees to fit Dolby guidelines and respect Gene 80% guidelines (within half an inch error). Surrounds are 100degrees
Have you thought of trying 5.2.4 instead of 7.2.2?

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Have you thought of trying 5.2.4 instead of 7.2.2?
No because it’s almost impossible to make a clean setup with ceiling speakers. With the slope and the beams, nowhere to pass some wires, the best compromise is front presence height. I actually use all the RX-A8A amps cause I am running 7.2.2 but front speakers are bi amp. I know some are mocking the bi amp but doing back and forth I am hearing better medium / high, I prefer the bi amp sound.

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
I was interested how your AVR was showing this information. That is why I was asking for a pic. On mine there is information missing.
1638130650665.png

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
No because it’s almost impossible to make a clean setup with ceiling speakers. With the slope and the beams, nowhere to pass some wires, the best compromise is front presence height. I actually use all the RX-A8A amps cause I am running 7.2.2 but front speakers are bi amp. I know some are mocking the bi amp but doing back and forth I am hearing better medium / high, I prefer the bi amp sound.
Well, I was thinking more about 5.2.4 setup with rear presence instead of ceiling speakers + some treatment in the room here and there just to suppress any unwanted reflections.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Well, I was thinking more about 5.2.4 setup with rear presence instead of ceiling speakers + some treatment in the room here and there just to suppress any unwanted reflections.
Please don’t give me new ideas. Now I am thinking adding wires to get rear presence to get a7.2.4.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis