Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It sounds good ! And thank you again. It’s so frustrating to try to explain something to an old and slow guy like me, but you did it !!!
Experiment with the crossover too. You may find a little higher like 80 hz might even tighten up your bass a little more. Not saying it for sure will, but it's worth experimenting. A lot of us will give the sub levels a 2 or 3 dB bump too. That should give you a touch more tactile feel and still not be boomy or unpleasant. Or you may prefer leaving as is. It's a preference thing, but it's pretty easy to experiment with.

Either way you got it figured out so now is where some of the fun comes in with experimenting. Just remember where you started from and put it back if you go over the ledge, lol.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Experiment with the crossover too. You may find a little higher like 80 hz might even tighten up your bass a little more. Not saying it for sure will, but it's worth experimenting. A lot of us will give the sub levels a 2 or 3 dB bump too. That should give you a touch more tactile feel and still not be boomy or unpleasant. Or you may prefer leaving as is. It's a preference thing, but it's pretty easy to experiment with.

Either way you got it figured out so now is where some of the fun comes in with experimenting. Just remember where you started from and put it back if you go over the ledge, lol.
I have so many pictures of my settings on the TV screen that now I forget which ones they are....LOL

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Watched Hunger Games with my daughters (DD 5.1 in Surround Decoder DSP mode). First time I am as impressed by the home theater performance as the stereo. This was great. Even my daughters noticed the sound was great and bringing a lot. Tomorrow will run the calibration once again with a lower sub volume because I realized having one sub level set to -10dB is actually the lowest it can be so it might mean the range between subs and speakers is too wide (one sub was -10dB, front speakers were +4.5dB). Some effects were surprising: got the feeling sound was coming really from above while I just have front (height) presence.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Watched Hunger Games with my daughters (DD 5.1 in Surround Decoder DSP mode). First time I am as impressed by the home theater performance as the stereo. This was great. Even my daughters noticed the sound was great and bringing a lot. Tomorrow will run the calibration once again with a lower sub volume because I realized having one sub level set to -10dB is actually the lowest it can be so it might mean the range between subs and speakers is too wide (one sub was -10dB, front speakers were +4.5dB). Some effects were surprising: got the feeling sound was coming really from above while I just have front (height) presence.
I would suggest like others that you don't go below -9.5db in your subwoofer level after YPAO calibration. Yamaha's max is -10db so you could actually be lower and not know it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agree with Clone.
If you only have -10dB on the maximum negative trim, I would suggest you make adjustments do that your Subs end up around -6dB with ideally no positive trim numbers.
The thing about positive trims is that the positive boost is done in the digital domain which is far from ideal. Digital boost is the quickest way to introduce distortions into your system. Also, for every 3dB of boost, you are requiring a doubling of power.

To be fair, I am not a Yamaha expert, but this is generally how things work across the board.

So target no positive trim if possible, and subs between -6… hopefully no lower than -9.
;)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Keep in mind. The difference from the sub at -10 and fronts at +4.5 is because the sub level was too high on the subs gain knob.

The higher the sub gain(volume) the more ypao has to lower the trim to be level matched. Conversely, if the subs gain was set too low, ypao would have set the trim higher. Like -2 for example. So if you lower the trim on the sub, ypao will raise the trim. Also with two subs, you would probably set them individually at about 70db to 72db so their combined output is 75. Then run ypao and it can do it’s job accordingly.
I also agree you want to avoid being in the plus as at least in the subwoofer channel it can introduce distortion.

I’m glad you enjoyed the hunger games. It’s a favorite here. I only wish for you that you had gotten subs that dig deeper. I know you love them, and are music centric. But you can actually have the best of both worlds. My system is 90% music and 90% movies with a bunch of broadcast tv sprinkled in. I have extension down to about 16hz and imo I don’t lack any musicality either. I also have three subs and use Audyssey and rew/minidsp.
In any case, still glad you got to a good place. The best thing is loving your system and all the content you have.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Just to make things perfectly crystal clear. When running ypao we want the subs to read around - 6 to - 9 DB. Then we can increase the DB after manually to raise it.??

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just to make things perfectly crystal clear. When running ypao we want the subs to read around - 6 to - 9 DB. Then we can increase the DB after manually to raise it.??
I would say yes. That way it calibrates accurately, and you can still bump the subs to taste afterwards.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Awesome. So when I calibrated it, that's exactly what I did. I went from around - 7db to zero. The sub shakes the house now! ❤
You bumped +7 dB after calibration? That would definitely make some things shake, lol.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I will recalibrate trying to have +0dB on the front speakers and -7dB on the subs. Is the right way to reach this balance is to play the pink noise on the front left or right speaker, then using the NIOSH SLM app on my iPhone in mode C (or A? But Gene was saying C is better to mesure multi frequencies) to reach a 70-72d by turning the amp volume knob, then to switch to subwoofer and adjusting the subwoofer gain to reach 70-72dB too ? Then launch the YPAO once again?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I will recalibrate trying to have +0dB on the front speakers and -7dB on the subs. Is the right way to reach this balance is to play the pink noise on the front left or right speaker, then using the NIOSH SLM app on my iPhone in mode C (or A? But Gene was saying C is better to mesure multi frequencies) to reach a 70-72d by turning the amp volume knob, then to switch to subwoofer and adjusting the subwoofer gain to reach 70-72dB too ? Then launch the YPAO once again?
Your speakers will be what they will be. How you get your sub in line is with the gain (volume) on the back of your sub. If your trim levels are at -10 right now then you're likely running hot. A lot of the time they instruct you to start with your gain at 50% (12 o'clock) but I find that's even too much. The gains on my subs are at about 9 o'clock.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Your speakers will be what they will be. How you get your sub in line is with the gain (volume) on the back of your sub. If your trim levels are at -10 right now then you're likely running hot. A lot of the time they instruct you to start with your gain at 50% (12 o'clock) but I find that's even too much. The gains on my subs are at about 9 o'clock.
@Pogre , when did you get your flagship line Marantz? 6011 if I remember right. Umm 3 years ago? Just asking cause I do remember when you had all SVS speakers. One more thing, how are those speakers you have now sound with music? Anyways you guys are posting up some very nice RC help, some of the best I've read on AH. I've made some adjustments on my setup and noticed a huge improvement already.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
What's the fastest way to get the sub gain right before doing ypao? Trial and error?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Anyways you guys are posting up some very nice RC help, some of the best I've read on AH. I've made some adjustments on my setup and noticed a huge improvement already.
Well I'm glad you could realize some improvements. That's why I post up suggestions. I'll bet if you were to measure your fr, it's getting closer to those pretty charts we post up from time to time. ;)
@Pogre , when did you get your flagship line Marantz? 6011 if I remember right. Umm 3 years ago? Just asking cause I do remember when you had all SVS speakers. One more thing, how are those speakers you have now sound with music?
I've had that receiver for coming up on 5 years now and it's still going strong. The Sierras are very impressive speakers. How they sound with music is the reason I sold the Ultras and went with Ascend Acoustics. I found a pair of Sierra 2 books on craigslist for a steal and was super impressed but needed something that can handle some more power so I got the towers and matching Horizon center. Sold off the Ultras and used the proceeds toward the Sierras. I'm really happy with them and it's gonna take a lot of speaker for me to want to switch.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What's the fastest way to get the sub gain right before doing ypao? Trial and error?
Audyssey will put a bar onscreen that's red on the ends with a small green section in the middle.

Screenshot_2021-11-28-06-07-27-2.png

It plays a tone while you adjust your sub's gain until it's in the green so it makes it pretty easy. If YPAO doesn't have a step like that then yes, it would be more trial and error.

*Edit: I found that image online, but I'm pretty sure Audyssey spells "quiet" properly in an actual screenshot... lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis