Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

P

PacketofCrisps

Audioholic Intern
Just wondering for movies on the Yamaha, what is most people using straight, surround decoder? Dsu? Neural x?

I have mine set to surround decoder - auto.

I only change it for when I listen to music,which I switch it up between straight, Dsu, auro 3d and sometimes pure direct. Pure direct is nice when you don't want the sub to be engaged.
For 5.1 content and above, ATMOS etc, I'll always use straight, no AI, for 2.0 content (TV) I use Dolby surround up-mixing, again, no AI, for music 99% of time I'll use 'Pure Mode', I'll use 5 channel stereo for a causal soirée with friends.

M

mtangh

Audiophyte
Just wondering for movies on the Yamaha, what is most people using straight, surround decoder? Dsu? Neural x?

I have mine set to surround decoder - auto.

I only change it for when I listen to music,which I switch it up between straight, Dsu, auro 3d and sometimes pure direct. Pure direct is nice when you don't want the sub to be engaged.
For dd+ movies i used AI
For dolby truehd movies i uses dsu. If atmos
Content is poor. I will use AI
For dts i will now try AI or auro3d
For music i use direct . If heavy bass i will
Use straight to enable subwoofer

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
thanks but I tried that envelop which unfortunately does not contain a mail address behind...I tried customerservice@audioholics.com but no reply here.
No, it's to send a inbox message, like a private chat, it'll ask if you want to start a conversation. Gene will respond he usually does. I have had many inbox chats with Gene usually in the wee hours of the morning cuz he stays up so late. Umm also if Gene doesn't respond right away he more than likely busy.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
please let me know how can I contact him - thanks.
Hope I help you out some. And Welcome to Audioholics! Stick around! Never hesitate to ask questions, gotta bunch of knowledgeable members here on AH.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
For 5.1 content and above, ATMOS etc, I'll always use straight, no AI, for 2.0 content (TV) I use Dolby surround up-mixing, again, no AI, for music 99% of time I'll use 'Pure Mode', I'll use 5 channel stereo for a causal soirée with friends.
I am surprised you are using pure instead of straight for music. Unless your room is really acoustically perfect, the room correction brings a lot compared to pure that fit a narrower scene.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Is “soirée” a well known word as “voila” “bravo” for English native? :)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I use 2.1 stereo for music. L/R set to large. No straight, no pure. Just good ole Stereo! Why you guys using straight or pure. What is that for music.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Question for you all. I have a movie that I have 2 different audio tracks and would like to know which one would be better to watch.

The one is atmos/dd+ around 700kbps (8gb file)
The second is dts 5.1 at 1.5mbps (19 Gb file)

So one is Atmos but lower quality. Also the dts is better video too.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I use 2.1 stereo for music. L/R set to large. No straight, no pure. Just good ole Stereo! Why you guys using straight or pure. What is that for music.
I use straight or Auro 3D for music. But pure that bypass YPAO sounds really narrower than stereo or straight with stereo source. Ok it’s supposedly the cleanest sound but you lose half of the sound scene width and separation is not as good. I was using direct mode on my previous amp (that didn’t support any room correction, way too old) so my first listening was in pure mode. Once YPAO setup done, I made pure vs straight back and forth tests on stereo sources, it’s night and day.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Well Yammy fans, ASR posted up his findings of Onkyo's new RZ50 AVR. If I read right, umm don't use 4 Ohm's speakers you'll only get about 40 watts output, 8 Ohm speakers seem to be ok, will get rated output. From his review he seems to not like his findings much. I was considering that model but not anymore. A big Hell No in my book
Screenshot_20220212-195353~2.png

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I use straight or Auro 3D for music. But pure that bypass YPAO sounds really narrower than stereo or straight with stereo source. Ok it’s supposedly the cleanest sound but you lose half of the sound scene width and separation is not as good. I was using direct mode on my previous amp (that didn’t support any room correction, way too old) so my first listening was in pure mode. Once YPAO setup done, I made pure vs straight back and forth tests on stereo sources, it’s night and day.
Hey! Go read the review and findings on ASR's website of Onkyo's RZ50 AVR. You'll feel even better of your RX-A8A. As of now, Denon, Yamaha still king.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis