Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
It would be awesome if gene would put a video out comparing all the upmixer for movies. He did it for music.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
A bit off recent top, apologies.
Question on wireless speakers. Have an older Martin Logan Dynamo 1500 sub that does not have wireless function. I would like to make it wireless but with out using ML's $ 200 kit which sounds excessive.
Any cheaper alternatives come to mind? I have an A6A receiver on the other end.

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
I respectfully disagree.
I guess you have your reasons for that but just out of curiosity could you share them?

I have mainly the following questions regarding usage of AI and DSur:
1. If you play a movie with Dolby Atmos sound track which does not have presence channels would you use any of these upmixer? If yes, which one?
2. If you play a movie with Dolby Atmos sound track which has presence channels would you use any of these upmixer? If yes, which one?

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
I guess you have your reasons for that but just out of curiosity could you share them?

I have mainly the following questions regarding usage of AI and DSur:
1. If you play a movie with Dolby Atmos sound track which does not have presence channels would you use any of these upmixer? If yes, which one?
2. If you play a movie with Dolby Atmos sound track which has presence channels would you use any of these upmixer? If yes, which one?
My comment is totally based on what sounds better to me. A pure Atmos soundtrack movie sounds better to me using the Dolby Surround Decoder than using AI.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Thanks @VonMagnum, perhaps I misused the term discrete. I do agree that Dolby did not drop support wides in 2016, that comment surprised me on a few levels. I was asking, improperly perhaps, if engineers were mixing effects into wide channels. As I understand it, the standard most engineers use is 7.1.4 for Atmos meaning LCR, side and rear surrounds, 4 height channels and LFE. I understand that Atmos is object based and processors are smart enough to to send sound to speakers that are active in one’s system. When one thinks of how objects move in a movie, I’d think having rear channels would help portray the sense of objects moving overhead or past the MLP more so than front wide channels. My room is long but narrow, and I have a bar in the back which limits my rear channels placement. Also I feel my wide channels may be closer to the MLP than is ideal, especially since the mid and high frequency drivers are facing the MLP (Polk LSiM 702 f/x). For me I need to decide if moving my 702s to the side surround position and 703 bookshelves to the rear. In the rear position they would probably be only about 5 ft to the left and right and 3-4 ft behind the MLP; is that enough to provide the desired effect? I’m addition, they would only be a few behind the side surrounds. So, is 5.2.6 (meaning wides and 4 ceiling), 5.2.4 or traditional 7.2.4 with my limitations the best layout?
Sorry for the late reply. This site runs like molasses for me once I'm logged in no matter how I access the account so I don't check it very often as I keep having to reload until it comes up. I've asked Gene to reset or delete the account so I can get rid of the bug that's plaguing it, but I get no response.

Anyways, if you go 5.1 + front wides instead of rear surrounds what it will do is play the side surround information out the sides and front wides and rear information only out the sides and front wides only out the front wides. What that does is create an array between the front wides and sides and thus sounds will phantom image between them for the side channels while rear information will come from the side location. Thus, you get 7.1 spacing of imaging, just pulled forward a bit instead. If you then added rear surrounds the sides would only play from the sides and rears only from the rears, fully utilizing the space. With no front wides it phantom 8magrs front wides between the mains and sides (unless "snap to speaker" is enabled by the mixing engineer in which case it goes to the mains instead).

It's up to you to decide how you best like the imaging spaced. I'd set up a temporary setup and try it both ways with a Dolby Atmos demo and decide which you prefer. They put discrete sounds behind do you can compare (e.g. "Conductor" demo).

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
Discussion is purely academic. There is no need to go personal with shower head nonsense and certainly no need to patronise others by trying to play an expert and belittle their input.
Unlike you, I *am* an Electronic Engineer and so I'm not "playing an expert". My complaints about Amir's opinions aren't grounded in shower head analogies, but actual engineering goals whereby inaudible sounds aren't very important, particularly if the cost of getting rid of the problem is higher costs passed on to the consumer and delays for something only a dog can hear and most speakers won't play (frequency response limit) and most room processing modes wouldn't pass on (e.g. Audyssey is limited to 48kHz on most consumer gear). Amir can't seem to handle that and thus he does a real disservice to both the companies that make the products and and the users that will avoid them because of his unhinged comments over ultrasonic ringing no one can hear.

If I were to go by his "headless panther" BS nonsense, I would not even consider the Monoprice HTP-1 for an AVP. The reality is that other than the reboot bug and lack of DTS:X Pro still, it's the absolute best AVP out there under $12,000 with 15-channel support and DIRAC. All Amir cares about is inaudible garbage and doesn't recommend it. That makes him a headless panther IMO (nice way of putting it). His followers are barking up the wrong tree. The problem is they have no idea WTF is even going on so like the BS Stereophile magazine was selling, the just read the fancy words and accept that DAC ringing is the end of civilization as we know it when in reality it doesn't mean Jack squat!

If you can't handle the truth, take your complaints to someone that gives a crap because I have zero interest in arguing about technical matters of this type with someone that doesn't even know what Nodal Analysis means, let alone how to do it.

Now. I am not an expert in the field
Really? I wouldn't have guessed.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Sure, but two selected sentences taken out of the context of entire post of mine completely distort what was said there. I also gave a simple analogy with different processors in Tesla's cars to illustrate the point.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Good Morning good people !
Start to work with playing some music, my RX-A8A makes me turn my head impressed by how it sounds multiple times this morning : the sound was still surround decoder Auro 3D. I am in love.
Radiohead, Sting, Gorillaz, Cat Stevens. Everything sounds better than ever.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Disclaimer : With MY setup (7.2.2) with front height being not even 30 degrees to listening position, which is more within Auro specs than in Atmos specs.
View attachment 53558

Dolby Surround upmixing : it brings the scene closer to the listening positon, too close to my taste. I then not listening to an artist, I feel I am within his head, I don't like it.

DTS Neural X upmixing : the scene is properly spaced, but there is too much front height use, like some engineers wanted to be sure the listenner will notice they are working. I am losing too much the spirit of the original stereo, it's more a total transformation than an ehancement.

Auro 3D : it sounds wider, but with respect to the original stereo mixing, the front height are here to make the sound taller, some says "the wall of sound". I really like this MORE than stereo as I it's stereo++. It's still well separated, but wider. It's still at the right place, in front of you.

So that's MY point of view of course. I assume it depends a lot about the listenner and the setup.

edit : fixed there are -> they are and point of you -> point of view XD
Time for another coffee

edit 2 : for Atmos music, after testing straight vs Auro 3D, the native Atmos / Dolby surround performs better than Atmos through Auro 3D. Which is a good thing to experiment, Atmos is great
Umm, Where's your PS5?

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Good Morning good people !
Start to work with playing some music, my RX-A8A makes me turn my head impressed by how it sounds multiple times this morning : the sound was still surround decoder Auro 3D. I am in love.
Radiohead, Sting, Gorillaz, Cat Stevens. Everything sounds better than ever.
I have to agree it sounds amazing! What settings are you using for Auro 3D?

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
I have to agree it sounds amazing! What settings are you using for Auro 3D?
I used medium and level 12. Haven't played with it much but for music I like how wide it is and I agree with oldandslow that it's not as close (or in your face) which I like too

R

RobertQ

Audiophyte
Something obvious (in my setup) is that the amp is synchronizing at least one second quicker than previously with Atmos sources.
I have a case opened with Apple about it as well, as I think ATV could behave better here (when skipping to next or previous song between ATMOS songs it forces AVR to re-sync and there is 2s-5s silence then, while if you let a song to finish playing when it starts playing next one, assuming it is same Atmos/KHz it doesn't cause re-sync and there is no gap - same if you move to a different part of song or re-start it. ATV should do the same when manually skipping to nmext/prev song here).

Anyway, their support recently got back to me that latest beta tvOS build (19L5409j) has some improvements here. I did some testing (before uipgrading a6a to 1.59) and while the issue has not gone away the sync time seems to be more cosiosten - about 2-2.5s and I didn't observe longer 4s-6s delays anymore - but perhaps I was just lucky.

E

ED1000

Audiophyte
Very interesting remarks about the Impedance. i will certainly make sure to stay with the 8 ohm setting.
can you explain if I will be able to connect both two front speakers and the center speaker as 4 ohm rated ones? I am interested in a Dali Rubicon configuration (two front and one center) and since the Yamaha manual states that 4 ohm connection is possible on front speakers I am not sure if they meant also that center speaker can be 4 ohm.

thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis