Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Closers with door stop and hold open devices, panic devices with varying trim and functions, mortising jigs for lock sets and hinges, door coordinators, knockdown and welded frames, changing the swing on metal frames, boring jigs for various backsets, fitting doors into existing frames and beveling using an electric planer, installing a henway ... that's all I could think of off the top of my head.

What's the difference between a left had door and a right hand reverse Mr. Door Expert? :D

Go ahead, Google it.

The class allows people to practice doing all that stuff so
that when they get to a job, it won't be their first time. ;)
That doesn't sound boring at all! I'd enjoy that. Oh, and I never claimed to be an expert...a$$****...:p I'm familiar with - as in performed - some of the topics you mentioned. If you're doing a lot of hands-on, I can understand it taking 10 evenings. You never mentioned that before...

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
But they cost money! Don't have enough in the current budget.
We had a choice, buy more o-rings or pay for "corporate travel" to Las Vegas. :D
Oh, well - since you put it that way, it's completely understandable.:rolleyes:

:D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
GN, I should mention that last night's class covered the door coordinator and closer installation. Even though I have installed about a thousand closers in my time the old bastard running the class still had more than a few tips and tricks on that and a few other things to teach me. I haven't been taught anything useful about door hardware in over a decade and the time before that was another decade ago so this class in the course of 2 nights has born fruit twice ... kind of like what I've seen in the world over the course of the last 20 years.

I was paired up with a younger guy who had never worked on that stuff before so he got the benefit of my know how for 3 hours. This is one of the things Union Labor has gotten right ... that and the weekend. We invented that ... you're welcome. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
That doesn't sound boring at all! I'd enjoy that. Oh, and I never claimed to be an expert...a$$****...:p I'm familiar with - as in performed - some of the topics you mentioned. If you're doing a lot of hands-on, I can understand it taking 10 evenings. You never mentioned that before...
The first night was kind of boring because all the safety stuff gets covered.

A LH and RHR door have the same swing but the LH door opens into a room and a RHR opens out of a room. The distinction is there for the key function on certain locksets.

I'm sorry to have missed you with that henway joke.
There's nothing like the first time that gets pulled on you. :)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
GN, I should mention that last night's class covered the door coordinator and closer installation. Even though I have installed about a thousand closers in my time the old bastard running the class still had more than a few tips and tricks on that and a few other things to teach me. I haven't been taught anything useful about door hardware in over a decade and the time before that was another decade ago so this class in the course of 2 nights has born fruit twice ... kind of like what I've seen in the world over the course of the last 20 years.
I'll never claim to know everything about any topic - doors included.;) I had originally assumed that these classes were all about basic residential doors. I now have the impression that your classes cover many other types of installation as well.

I was paired up with a younger guy who had never worked on that stuff before so he got the benefit of my know how for 3 hours.
Now isn't he just the luckiest SOB in the world.:rolleyes:

This is one of the things Union Labor has gotten right ... that and the weekend. We invented that ... you're welcome.
"Sol-i-dar-ity forevvvvv-er!":D

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
The first night was kind of boring because all the safety stuff gets covered.

A LH and RHR door have the same swing but the LH door opens into a room and a RHR opens out of a room. The distinction is there for the key function on certain locksets.
You know, those may be the formal designations for such installations, but you probably knew how to do them before, without knowing what the difference was.

Reminds me of old fishermen back home. Most of them had little formal education, but they built their own fishing boats, and built them well. They wouldn't be able to explain certain design characteristics in formal terms, but they knew why they were doing it that way and that's all that mattered.:)

I'm sorry to have missed you with that henway joke.
There's nothing like the first time that gets pulled on you.
I'm not sorry. Because you would've got me on that one, even though I've heard it before.:eek:

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I was paired up with a younger guy who had never worked on that stuff before so he got the benefit of my know how for 3 hours. This is one of the things Union Labor has gotten right ... that and the weekend. We invented that ... you're welcome. :D
Now isn't he just the luckiest SOB in the world.:rolleyes:
The class sounds interesting.
I'm just a little worried about where it sounds like it's headed.
NTTAWWT

You cougar you.;)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I was paired up with a younger guy who...got the benefit...for 3 hours. This is one of the things Union Labor has gotten right ...
I must be tired. I read that and was just thinking about you sitting in a classroom. Oh, the shame. I need a time out.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
"Sol-i-dar-ity forevvvvv-er!":D
I'm going to see about having the weekend rescinded for the Maritime provinces. Then we'll see about solidarity. Everybody should know that being in a trade union just means you don't get fired ... ever ... because that messes with unemployment. We get laid off and when that happens we get paid off. There's no chasing that last check. With non union outfits that can be quite a chase.

You know, those may be the formal designations for such installations, but you probably knew how to do them before, without knowing what the difference was.
I've known the difference since I was 19.
You don't get to be as stupid about computers as I am for no reason.
Between carpentry and drugs it's a wonder I know how to read. :eek:

I'm not sorry. Because you would've got me on that one, even though I've heard it before.:eek:
The art is wording the set up in such a way that somebody actually says 'What's a henway?' I was robbed. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis