DellRay

DellRay

Enthusiast
Greetings. I have an Onkyo TX-NR6050 which is capable of Zone 2/Zone B configurations via an extra set of speaker terminals which I am aware takes away the rear surround/height speaker output when used and a pair of RCA pre? outs next to the 2 subwoofer pre-outs. I have been unsuccessfully attempting to get a second amplifier in a different room set up so that I can listen to music from the source or "master" as some like to call it, which is the Onkyo. The distance is about 35' with a non load bearing wall about 3/4 of the way from the Onkyo. My first thought, not knowing much about this was to just get some stereo RCA cables but the run in order to keep the cables tucked away is more like 80'. I was having a hard time finding RCA cables that long so I inqured in a rather hostile forum and got some interesting information, most of which I disregarded because of the way it was presented. I then went on a trial and error mission of various methods with varying degrees of "success", none of which proved to be satisfactory.

The best suggestion I got from the guys over there was balanced cables with baluns at each end but I wasn't given clear and concise instructions on how it should be done. I gathered that balanced cables can be in several configurations ranging from 1/4" audio jacks like the ones I have for connecting instruments to my guitar amp to XLR and another one that eludes my memory at the moment. I was provided with a link to the baluns but no information on how to connect it for my application and another recommendation to solder RCA connectors to the cables but no definition on which cables would be best for that as the cables I was able to find already have connectors on them and there are a million different types of bulk cable. After already spending way more than I should have on various wireless "solutions" which all had major latency issues that were quite bothersome anytime both systems could be heard at the same time and I am not a fan of wireless to begin with. I like my wires and cables because once things are connected and working, they generally stay that way as long as I don't go fiddling around with stuff. I have had nothing but problems with every piece of wireless garbage that I have ever owned no matter the cost, brand, compatibility level, etc. except for the cheap Amazon Bluetooth adapter I have in my car for when I had Samsung "flagship" phones after they did away with the audio jack. I no longer own any of those in a big part because of that but I can plug my current device into it and then plug it into the audio input of my head unit. I do this because it has an accurate spectrum analyzer visualization and an effective EQ plus it's own volume and tone controls. I can't have this feature on my home systems anymore because of all this modern processing crap that's standard with all the newer equipment and I'm not about to spend the money they want for vintage equipment when I can have new stuff with whatever warranty it offers for less often times so I can at least have my little eq and visual in the car and it conveniently also displays the voltage that the electrical system in the car is putting out.

Anyway, back to my issue. My first attempt was with an older HK AVR-240 multi channel AV reciever. I still have it but it's in storage because when I couldn't get that to work, I bought a cheap network stereo reciever to give it a try via my home wifi network. That was worse than bluetooth with latency which was puzzling because I have a fast internet connection and a high end Asus wifi 6 router and the Bluetooth adapter was a cheapo from Amazon and so far was the least latent. I also tried an FM reciever adapter which didn't really have latency but the signal was inconsistent and full of noise (and not the noise I want!)

So now all of that crap is in a box waiting for my next trip to Goodwill and I am back to the wired option and a decent integrated amp but I'm low on fundage for this little endeavor of mine. So besides any information on the cables and connectors and such, I am looking for input on that. I have been doing a bit of snooping around on my own and so far the one I have my eye on is an Emotiva BasX A2m because I'm limited to $300 max for the integrated amp. I have heard great things about the Emotiva equipment but where this particular unit is basically the cheapest one they offer and it is actually a mini "flex" amp my questions are: #1, is it even what I need for this to work? and #2, with it being small and relatively inexpensive at $249, does it live up to the quality and satisfaction standards that Emotiva has built with their top tier equipment? And lastly, I am also not against refurbished or even used like new equipment if there is a more suitable option in the sub $300 range for what I am trying to accomplish, which by the way seems like it should not be anywhere near this much trouble. All I want to do is hear the same source in 2 locations simultaneously without latency or connectivity issues that render it worthless. And this is only for a stereo signal for music! I can't stand the TV and often wonder why I even own one! Why is it so hard to get a stereo music signal to travel fast?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Does the HK avr still work? What was the "network stereo receiver"?

What sources to the Onkyo do you want to play simultaneously in the other room? Is the latency an issue particularly other than in moving away from one room to the other?

FWIW I use Audio Chromecast units to do an all house thing with various avrs and a 2ch setup (and limited network connection board or none), wiring for zones would be a pain, unfortunately discontinued and most of the NOS that was on ebay seems to have shifted to used units (which may be fine, haven't had a failure of any). A new streamer called WiiM is pretty popular lately.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Typically, the amplifier for a second zone will be located right next to your main Onkyo. This way the RCA cables are SUPER short. Just a few feet, then you run speaker wire to your second zone to power the speakers directly. Speaker wiring is relatively inexpensive and can be run at long lengths without introducing interference into the speakers themselves.

ONKYO-->ZONE 2 RCA OUTPUTS->RCA CABLES-->AMPLIFIER-->SPEAKER CABLES-->Speakers in your Z2 area

This is the proper and typical way to wire things up for zone 2 without all the headaches you have been talking about.

You CAN add a volume control in the second room if you would like, but this degrades audio quality a bit and it is better to use the Onkyo's remote and adjust volume up/down for zone 2 directly through the Onkyo itself.

I'm running over 20 zones of audio throughout my home including to wireless headphones and various speakers. I do notice time delay even from the same source, so that's something I keep in mind when doing things, but it all works really well with ultra high reliability because it is all wired...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis