Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
... Hmm I might start wearing that...
:eek: There is no MIGHT - only DO. You apparently have no idea how vulnerable your hearing is to industrial noise. If you take no other advice from this forum, please pay heed to this! Your hearing will eventually start to degrade, but that's no reason to hasten its onset.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
:eek: There is no MIGHT - only DO. You apparently have no idea how vulnerable your hearing is to industrial noise. If you take no other advice from this forum, please pay heed to this! Your hearing will eventually start to degrade, but that's no reason to hasten its onset.
Not even my teacher wears it though. I think my school needs to buy some ear protectors

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Not even my teacher wears it though. I think my school needs to buy some ear protectors
Then your teacher needs a kick in the a$$! I would politely bring it up with your him (don't tell him what I said - he may get his back up). Planers are quite loud and everyone in the vicinity should have proper hearing protection. If he doesn't look into it, go over his head. You may want to get your parents involved at that point. I assume the school at least provides safety glasses? If not, he should then receive a kick in the jewels.:eek:

You should have something like this as a minimum:Professional Hearing Protection | Canadian Tire

Preferably in combination with something like this:Ear Plugs, 80 Pairs | Canadian Tire

Whatever is used should be NIOSH and/or CSA-approved.

I just can't believe that this isn't being provided by your school. If the school is not obligated to provide such equipment (and I'd be surprised if they weren't) - get your own. Even if nobody else in your class wears it, you should. I'll put it this way - an employer would be charged, if an inspector found employees working in a noisy environment without such equipment.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Then your teacher needs a kick in the a$$! I would politely bring it up with your him (don't tell him what I said - he may get his back up). Planers are quite loud and everyone in the vicinity should have proper hearing protection. If he doesn't look into it, go over his head. You may want to get your parents involved at that point. I assume the school at least provides safety glasses? If not, he should then receive a kick in the jewels.:eek:

You should have something like this as a minimum:Professional Hearing Protection | Canadian Tire

Preferably in combination with something like this:Ear Plugs, 80 Pairs | Canadian Tire

Whatever is used should be NIOSH and/or CSA-approved.

I just can't believe that this isn't being provided by your school. If the school is not obligated to provide such equipment (and I'd be surprised if they weren't) - get your own. Even if nobody else in your class wears it, you should. I'll put it this way - an employer would be charged, if an inspector found employees working in a noisy environment without such equipment.
They do provide glasses but I always buy my own. But that is a pretty high price for ear protection (cheaper than hearing aids though). I don't think that the school board cares about hearing protection though because they come into the shop classes periodically to make sure all safety procedures are being followed and my teachers have been saying make sure your wearing your glasses in case there is a safety inspection but they haven't mentioned anything about wearing ear protection. I'm definatly gonna try and get some hearing protection tonight. Im guessing that I wouldn't be able to get the board to provide hearing protection though because shop classes are getting cut really bad lately. They are looking for any excuse to cut shop classes because they already cost alot of money. For some reason they just don't understand how important these classes are. At my old school in my Welding class about 1/4 of the class had a job in manufacturing and most of them made $15/h or more. Thats really good money and they haven't even graduated yet, clearly it's a good industry if a 16 year old can make more than my mom does after 2years of college and 20+ years work experience

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
They do provide glasses but I always buy my own. But that is a pretty high price for ear protection (cheaper than hearing aids though). I don't think that the school board cares about hearing protection though because they come into the shop classes periodically to make sure all safety procedures are being followed and my teachers have been saying make sure your wearing your glasses in case there is a safety inspection but they haven't mentioned anything about wearing ear protection. I'm definatly gonna try and get some hearing protection tonight. Im guessing that I wouldn't be able to get the board to provide hearing protection though because shop classes are getting cut really bad lately. They are looking for any excuse to cut shop classes because they already cost alot of money. For some reason they just don't understand how important these classes are. At my old school in my Welding class about 1/4 of the class had a job in manufacturing and most of them made $15/h or more. Thats really good money and they haven't even graduated yet, clearly it's a good industry if a 16 year old can make more than my mom does after 2years of college and 20+ years work experience
Well that's a poor attitude on their part! They're supposed to ensure that you wear your safety glasses to prevent injury to your eyes, not just to conform with the safety policy. I can see what's going on though. You lose an eye in shop class and it's a liability issue for the school. If you suffer hearing loss down the road, they can say it wasn't caused by the school.:rolleyes: You have to remember - look out for No.1. That's YOU.

It's too bad that shop classes are being cut. There are too many unemployable university graduates out there as it is. They need to encourage kids to look at the skilled trades as a viable career path. Cutting shop programs doesn't help.

The link that I posted for the ear defenders was just for an example. Shop around, as you might find good one for less.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I can understand why kids act out to get attention. I feel like running with scissors just to get GN! to pay attention to me.

:D

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I can understand why kids act out to get attention. I feel like running with scissors just to get GN! to pay attention to me.

:D
Geesh... I leave the room for one minute and you start acting like a frickin daredevil on crack. Go sit in the corner, and don't peel the wallpaper back this time! :mad:

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Hearing protection works pretty good. Planer is still pretty loud but much better :D

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Wow 24 hours with no posts. Everyone must be having a pretty exciting day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis