Really Boring Stuff Only II: Return of the Boredom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, I just did 10Km (that's 6.2 miles in old money) on the treadmill. Feel great!:)
You worked your a** off, accomplished the task, increased your capabilities, but never moved forward...and you feel great about it? Your like a manager's w*t dream. :D

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
spent 2 hours trying to fix the tangled mess that is my home network. 3 wifi networks, 3 routers, a modem, and the only computer in my house wired to the network takes about 40 minutes to work after being restarted :( anyways after the 2 hours i have achieved NOTHING. im still stuck at 50-110 KB/s while the slowest computer only used for email and facebook gets 400-1500KB/s
what a cruel world

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
im still stuck at 50-110 KB/s while the slowest computer only used for email and facebook gets 400-1500KB/s
Do you know where the bottleneck is on your network? 110 KB/s (or about 0.9 Mb/s) is a pretty poor speed for wifi.

Btw, why do you have three networks in your house?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Niki got a shower this morning, which is her first in a while. Although she hates them, she's pretty well behaved about it. Of course, as soon as I let her out of the room, she went to the mat by her dog door (which is currently dirty) and rolled on it. :rolleyes: :D

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Do you know where the bottleneck is on your network? 110 KB/s (or about 0.9 Mb/s) is a pretty poor speed for wifi.
im guessing that its my routers. you see we have the router our isp provided us (sucks) that goes to our wbr-1310 (ISENDVIRUSES) and that goes to our dir-815 (ISENDVIRUSES 2.4GHz and ISENDVIRUSES 5GHz) because it doesnt work if we just plug it into the one our isp gave us. its quite a mess and makes port forwarding nearly impossible.

Btw, why do you have three networks in your house?
1 single band router and 1 dual band router =3 networks (but only 2 of them are usable since we dont have a single wireless 5GHz n compatible device)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
im guessing that its my routers. you see we have the router our isp provided us (sucks) that goes to our wbr-1310 (ISENDVIRUSES) and that goes to our dir-815 (ISENDVIRUSES 2.4GHz and ISENDVIRUSES 5GHz) because it doesnt work if we just plug it into the one our isp gave us. its quite a mess and makes port forwarding nearly impossible.
Gah! I'm assuming from your description that the ISP-provided router does not have wireless on it. What I'm wondering is, why won't the DIR-185 work if you plug the ISP router output into its internet port? That doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm wondering if your wifi speed blows because you're running two separate radios, and each one might be doing more error correction because of the two signals - I don't know, just speculating.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Gah! I'm assuming from your description that the ISP-provided router does not have wireless on it. What I'm wondering is, why won't the DIR-185 work if you plug the ISP router output into its internet port? That doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm wondering if your wifi speed blows because you're running two separate radios, and each one might be doing more error correction because of the two signals - I don't know, just speculating.
well my isp is one of the worst in canada... wouldnt surprise me if they're using some old technology that isnt compatible with my dir-815

yea there probably doing more damage that good having both but it looks cool to have 2 wifi networks :cool:

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
yea there probably doing more damage that good having both but it looks cool to have 2 wifi networks :cool:
I have a simultaneous dual-band router in my apartment, and it's actually quite useful to distribute the load. Our previous single band couldn't handle all of us on the internet at once, especially with xbox live. Although it could've been because the old router was a belkin :rolleyes:

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
I have a simultaneous dual-band router in my apartment, and it's actually quite useful to distribute the load. Our previous single band couldn't handle all of us on the internet at once, especially with xbox live. Although it could've been because the old router was a belkin :rolleyes:
but i have a dual band and a single band

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, after buying myself one of the knives that I got my mom for her birthday and thinking that the handles leave something to be desired (although the knives overall are quite nice), I just ordered her four more knives and a knife sharpener. The new knives are ones that I have myself, so I know that they are nice. I also ordered myself a 24" x 18" x 1.5" cutting board...they are out of stock, but that'll be nice once it arrives. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
One of my high school "friends" on FB is asking for donations for research against blood cancers. I'm seriously tempted to donate...but I'm trying to separate the fact that this is a good cause from the memory that she kind of treated me like a nobody in high school. I just don't know if I'm that mature. :eek: :)

Well, that, and I tend to spend my charity money on non-humans. I figure that my tax dollars go to people - my own money can go to other things that I care about.

Oops. That just got serious. Sorry.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
One of my high school "friends" on FB is asking for donations for research against blood cancers. I'm seriously tempted to donate...but I'm trying to separate the fact that this is a good cause from the memory that she kind of treated me like a nobody in high school. I just don't know if I'm that mature. :eek: :)

Well, that, and I tend to spend my charity money on non-humans. I figure that my tax dollars go to people - my own money can go to other things that I care about.

Oops. That just got serious. Sorry.
Too many causes. Too many guilt trips. Too little of the money collected going to the cause and too much to administration. Research the charity(s) you give to and only support the things you care about the most. You shouldn't feel distress about it. It should make you feel good...because it is good.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Not too much longer until I find out that I didn't win an SVS sub. It'll be nice when the waiting is over. :p

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I tend to spend my charity money on non-humans.
Me too. In a round about way I support the feeding of cows, pigs and chickens. Of course that leads to the killing of the same cows, pigs and chickens so the system has some flaws but hey, they're eatin', ain't they?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Well, I was going to take today off from work, but staying home because it's going to be windy seems a bit wussy. So, I'm going to go. I still want to stay home, though. :)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Too many causes. Too many guilt trips. Too little of the money collected going to the cause and too much to administration. Research the charity(s) you give to and only support the things you care about the most. You shouldn't feel distress about it. It should make you feel good...because it is good.
Yeah, there is a small group of charities that I donate to. If you gave money to every charity that asks, you'll end up needing charity yourself.:rolleyes: Whenever I get asked for a contribution and your charity ain't on my list, I politely explain that I contribute to my own list of charities, so PFO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis