Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Funny I left it on over night no update yet.
Yes it's like there is some kind of hidden mechanism to let the AVR register online to then being able to access to firmwares... Don't get why when going into the system menu -> firmware update it isn't displaying the same thing for every body...

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I will do some in depth investigation in win 11 settings first. I found some post about this issue with Denon receivers. Stuff related to speakers configuration/full range. Will double check that I also have the minimum amount of processing and no lip sync delay

edit: Source was a RTX3080 for both video and sound through hdmi 2.1 plugged in the tv, sound is retrieved through eARC

edit 2: will also check TV eARC parameters. And if pc is sending pcm or bitstream
I had a PC that would do the same thing hooked up to a Onkyo. That's what I came up with. Nice work bro

Majorusa

Majorusa

Junior Audioholic
Yes it's like there is some kind of hidden mechanism to let the AVR register online to then being able to access to firmwares... Don't get why when going into the system menu -> firmware update it isn't displaying the same thing for every body...
Go to the web setup at ipaddress/setup. There, in the tab Other you have the firmware update section. When available you will see in status - Available. Press start and it will update. It is the easiest way. In the picture is the web setup for my V6A but this section should be the same for the A8A or any AxA receiver.
1636982442486.png

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I had a PC that would do the same thing hooked up to a Onkyo. That's what I came up with. Nice work bro
I appears I am not the first one to suffer this audio lag issue with the Windows Dolby Atmos app... I tried Ori and the Will of the Wisp and Tomb Raider : Shadow of the Tomb Raider which both support Dolby Atmos. It sounds really great, being in the jungle you get sounds all around you. But as soon as you fire, having 350 to 450ms audio delay ruins the immersion.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Funny I left it on over night no update yet.
Turn your AVR off for a little bit. Turn it back on see if the update shows up. If not jump on Yamaha's website, get on chat with a tech. I did the same thing left my A4A on but never turned it off. When I got out of chat About half hour later turn it back on and while I was talking on the phone with my son I just happened to have the OSD on looking at Firmware Update, and the update just popped up for 1.22. Try to update though your web first. It can be done by USB flash drive, but I have heard of horror stories of one's messing up, bricking
their AVR. Just a note, Yamaha will not warranty if anyone mess's up when updating though USB.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I appears I am not the first one to suffer this audio lag issue with the Windows Dolby Atmos app... I tried Ori and the Will of the Wisp and Tomb Raider : Shadow of the Tomb Raider which both support Dolby Atmos. It sounds really great, being in the jungle you get sounds all around you. But as soon as you fire, having 350 to 450ms audio delay ruins the immersion.
Not just with just PC use, I had a Vizio 4K tv it drove me with audio lagging, CEC issues audio dropouts. I'd have to do a soft reset to get it stop but wouldn't last. Of course I sold off that Vizio.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Not just with just PC use, I had a Vizio 4K tv it drove me with audio lagging, CEC issues audio dropouts. I'd have to do a soft reset to get it stop but wouldn't last. Of course I sold off that Vizio.
In order to be sure it doesn't come from eARC I tried TV embedded Netflix app that output Dolby Atmos in eARC to the RX-A8A : no audio delay. So it's not the eARC that introduce some lag.

Edit: Unless the Samsung Netflix APP is able to monitor the eARC audio delay and then apply something to synchronize audio and video. So in order to be SURE that it doesn't come from eARC I will plug the PC to the AVR (losing 4K 120Hz for the purpose of the test) and then check if the Atmos sound delay is still there. Stay tuned !

Last edited:
J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
I am getting no audio from the tv Disney plus app. The hdmi is in the arc port of tv. I have the LG C1. Not sure if I need to enable earc or not in receiver or tv.

The new interface on the Yamaha is overwhelming. I had the 2040 before and it seems much more simple.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I am getting no audio from the tv Disney plus app. The hdmi is in the arc port of tv. I have the LG C1. Not sure if I need to enable earc or not in receiver or tv.

The new interface on the Yamaha is overwhelming. I had the 2040 before and it seems much more simple.
When you're in settings, that lil, (?) Button on your remote, click that it'll pull up more info on what ever settings your looking to set. I have found that only on a few it doesn't show up anymore info. But it has helped me with setting up. I just checked, Video/HDMI in settings, that lil (?) Doesn't add anymore info, When you click on any of the settings in Video/HDMI the sub screen already pulls up what each settings will and will not do. Okay, just checked again, that (?) Button seems to work more on when you pull up options screen. I'm still on a learning curve here too guys so.

Last edited:
T

TadMoore

Enthusiast

Yes, eARC needs to be enabled on both the TV and the receiver.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
So about Audio delay when using eARC : it's even more weird than what I was expecting.
Plugging the PC directly to the RX-A8A (losing the 4K 120Hz for test purpose) I have NO AUDIO DELAY ! \o/
Victory ? Yes but no.
Plugging directly the PC to the AVR I have this strange behavior :
- Using DTS X for Home Theater : I receive a 7.1 PCM stream and the amp is displaying DTX X : MA (don't know what MA means, is this the same than DTS HD Master for lossless signal ?)
- Using Dolby Atmos : I receive a 7.1 PCM stream BUT the amp isn't recognizing it as a Dolby Atmos stream (may be a Dolby Digital PCM stream)

So until now my understanding is that when I am plugging the PC to the TV then the audio device is recognized as a Dolby Atmos compatible device, and then send a Dolby Atmos stream to the TV that send it to the AVR (and then I have a Dolby Atmos displayed on the amp front panel).
But the amp ISN'T recognized as a Dolby Atmos device by the PC. Maybe I miss an option in the amp setup to tell the HDMI 7 input to be recognized as a Doby Atmos compatible device.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
One of things I can't seem to figure out is why can't I have more control over the individual scene settings on through the remote/AV setup settings. The only options I see are the ability to rename the scene and the ability to chose which items are included but no option to then adjust each included item...
1636992415320.png

However if I use the website setup I do have way more ability to control each selected item. I have no problem using the web interface but I am going to guess that many people who buy these units are never going to even realize that there is this option...
1636992702301.png

1636992769441.png

1636992809361.png

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
One of things I can't seem to figure out is why can't I have more control over the individual scene settings on through the remote/AV setup settings. The only options I see are the ability to rename the scene and the ability to chose which items are included but no option to then adjust each included item...
View attachment 51499

However if I use the website setup I do have way more ability to control each selected item. I have no problem using the web interface but I am going to guess that many people who buy these units are never going to even realize that there is this option...
View attachment 51500
View attachment 51501
View attachment 51502
Well, a wild guess would be that Yamaha just thought that making this UI into the on screen display will be a lot of work and probably too complicated for most of the people who use it. Probably tweaking all this stuff from the remote will be more difficult than the web interface. So they try to keep things as simple as possible in the OSD. Actually, I am glad they still give all these options through the web interface. They could have removed them from the web as well :D

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Well, a wild guess would be that Yamaha just thought that making this UI into the on screen display will be a lot of work and probably too complicated for most of the people who use it. Probably tweaking all this stuff from the remote will be more difficult than the web interface. So they try to keep things as simple as possible in the OSD. Actually, I am glad they still give all these options through the web interface. They could have removed them from the web as well :D
Perhaps but one could also argue that with units in this level of category that the user should have more control. It just seems that they could have made a sub menu of each selected item where the adjustments could be made.I mean you are already making these adjustments outside of the scene setup and then it's copying those settings to the scene program. It would have been nice to be able to make onscreen "tweeks" afterwards.

T

tparm

Audioholic
"As someone else mentioned the sealed subs are usually best for music but the bigger and uglier ported ones work better with movies. " Well that makes the choice even more complex depending of using a pair of subwoofer when listening to stereo music. If only using subs for movies, Ported, if mix of stereo music and movies then sealed if I understand correctly. God it has been he very good idea to come on this forum to learn half a billion things.

Edit : "Nope.
This is a myth. It needs to be stopped from spreading. "

YES ! Easier to choose
For what its worth, I own two SVS PB-3000s that I have a profile set up in sealed mode for multi-channel and 2.2CH music playback, they work very well and in open mode are great for movies and TV. So I agree with others, ported subs are the best of both worlds.

Also just for the record, I do use room correction and can say the new very of Anthem ARC is not buggy as was mentioned earlier. I find the results superior to Emotiva’s implementation of Dirac and the Denon A110 version of Audyssey. Room correction works to refine one’s system but speaker placement and room treatment are far more important. Enjoy.

T

tparm

Audioholic
SQ: in Direct mode, they will both sound equally great.

PQ: I would say toss up also. But most of us would never let an AVR process the video - most people would let either the Blu-ray player or the TV/PJ process the video.

As for measurements, if you're using Room EQ Digital Processing, who knows how bad those THD+N numbers will be after all that Processing.
I don‘t see any value in continuing to say the measurements with room correction engaged ”are terrible” until there is a way to measure and/or prove it. I realize you don’t care for it but I’d guess you are in the minority and if utilized properly it can provide remarkably pleasing results.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
In order to be sure it doesn't come from eARC I tried TV embedded Netflix app that output Dolby Atmos in eARC to the RX-A8A : no audio delay. So it's not the eARC that introduce some lag.
No TV can natively output eARC from internal apps. It's a pass-through function for external sources, such as PC GPU or BD player.
Netlix app can only do lossy Atmos over DD+ and not over DolbyTrue HD. Lossless Atmos does not work from internal apps on TV that stream from internet.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
No TV can natively output eARC from internal apps. It's a pass-through function for external sources, such as PC GPU or BD player.
Netlix app can only do lossy Atmos over DD+ and not over DolbyTrue HD. Lossless Atmos does not work from internal apps on TV that stream from internet.
Yes this is why I bought an AppleTV to get the proper Atmos PCM stream from any major streaming service.
But the amp is displaying Atmos/PCM when receiving eARC sound stream from the TV app. How is this possible ?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Think upper model 2021 and 2022 Sony TVs will be doing this for DTSX lossless actually via an IMAX Enhanced feature to AVRs with IMAX. There isn’t a lot of information on it but another member has an imax thread going where it was being discussed.

Edit: I tend to agree that it likely could just be the lossy version of DTSX rather than the lossless. I just can’t find enough data on it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis