Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I hope I am not boring any of you about what I am posting about what I am trying to solve about the RX-A8A.
I found something interesting I never tried before : Windows Dolby Connect App got some "demo".
When watching any of these demo my RX-A8A finally detect DolbyAtmos/DD+ (instead of DolbyAtmos/PCM when watching things from my AppleTV). The RX-A8A sound information menu is detecting Atmos 48khz input instead of the usual Atmos/PCM 96khz input but IT'S WORKING GREAT.
So I think the issue with Dolby Atmos in games comes from the games themselves. Windows is able to send some Atmos to the amp through HDMI.
No your not! Keep posting up! AH needs good members like you! You fit right in!!

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Other than the fact I failed to convince you Yammie Heads to burn down Yamaha... :p

I'm just hoping we can get this up to 50+ pages before @gene posts the review! :D
Challenge accepted !
After watching back to back the "Imagine" Dolby demo from PC (Atmos/DD+) and from the AppleTV (Atmos/PCM) I can certify that PCM is sounding way better than DD+ (from what I understand Atmos DD+) miss the height information. It's really perceptible. However it sounds great in both mode.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
So it is Atmos with delay through eARC or no Atmos at all when PC hdmi is plugged to the RX-A8A... That's boring...
Players on PC must be set to Bitstream, so that entire audio decoding is passed onto AVR. If it's set to PCM, player would decode and it might have troubles with Atmos. Have you tried to play with settings in VLC player or similar?

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
When watching any of these demo my RX-A8A finally detect DolbyAtmos/DD+ (instead of DolbyAtmos/PCM when watching things from my AppleTV). The RX-A8A sound information menu is detecting Atmos 48khz input instead of the usual Atmos/PCM 96khz input but IT'S WORKING GREAT
DolbyAtmos/DD+ - means that AVR decodes (audio is Bitstreamed in raw form from PC)
DolbyAtmos/PCM - means that external device decodes (Apple TV decodes and sends PCM to AVR) - Have you tried to set apps in Apple to Bitstream (passtrough)? If yes, AVR should show DolbyAtmos/DD+ or DolbyAtmos/DT HD.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Challenge accepted !
After watching back to back the "Imagine" Dolby demo from PC (Atmos/DD+) and from the AppleTV (Atmos/PCM) I can certify that PCM is sounding way better than DD+ (from what I understand Atmos DD+) miss the height information. It's really perceptible. However it sounds great in both mode.
Lol, he got some very nice gear also. Got some really nice speakers.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Players on PC must be set to Bitstream, so that entire audio decoding is passed onto AVR. If it's set to PCM, player would decode and it might have troubles with Atmos. Have you tried to play with settings in VLC player or similar?
I would love to try bitstream but I have NO idea where to change this setting.

Edit : can someone clarify, is bitstream the way to go to let the amp decoding ? I read that it's not really possible with the apple TV btw

Edit2: Why the (funny) Denon / Yamaha war ? From what I read, Denon got excellent AVR with top of the charts SINAD/THD, but suffer from the infamous Panasonic hdmi 2.1 chipset that isn't able to decode both compressed and uncompressed signal, but they are still very capable. Yamaha is newer to me (I previously owned a Denon AVC-A1D which was good but not great when playing music), I was actually looking for an amp that was able to drive some wireless surround speakers and to have a good classic amp stage for my columns to listen to music, so this is why I ordered a RX-A8A (and finally didn't use musiccast at all because I wired my surround speakers). Also as a game developer/gamer, hdmi 2.1 support was important and Yamaha loudly communicated on the fact the 2021 Aventage lineup would be totally compatible with the 2.1 (once the firmaware ready). So this is why I choose a Yamaha and not an Onkyo, Marantz, Denon, Anthem or NAD... But all these brands got good amps no ? Just a few differences/specs that may or may not match what you plan to do with your amp.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

Edit : can someone clarify, is bitstream the way to go to let the amp decoding ? I read that it's not really possible with the apple TV btw
AppleTV 4K does the Dolby Digital decoding for you and outputs either 2.0 PCM or 5.1 PCM or Atmos 7.1.4 over PCM. It cannot bitstream. This actually works out fine though.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai

Bitstream is the way to go with any source if possible. Both of my 4K player's in settings for Digital Audio Output are set to bitstream for audio. The audio output from 4K players gets me Dolby TrueHD, Master Audio and Atmos. If the disc has the encoding. Now can't say about PC and or gaming consoles cuz I haven't either one. Now my Son has an Alienware computer he had built the way he wanted it. His PC can output those audio formats but he paid more than what the RX-A8A cost. He's a gamer got extra hard drives just to store his games and thousands of music CDs and videos just for that. Crazy stuff I tell you! Gotta love this hobby!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
AppleTV 4K does the Dolby Digital decoding for you and outputs either 2.0 PCM or 5.1 PCM or Atmos 7.1.4 over PCM. It cannot bitstream. This actually works out fine though.
Wait till you run into Doc, he does Not like AVR'S at all. TLSGuy is very knowledgeable and well-respected on AH. That's Doc's thing, he got all separates, plus some of the coolest gear I've ever seen. But the Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz thing is just some of us messing around it's been a on going thing on AH long before I signed up on AH. We just poking fun, sure Denon, Marantz, NAD, Onkyo sound good, very good as a matter of fact. Think of it like my car can beat your car kind of thing. Some of the guys on AH got setups to die for, well not to die for. All in fun bro.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Wait tell you run into Doc, he does Not like AVR'S at all. TLSGuy is very knowledgeable and well-respected on AH. That's Doc's thing, he got all separates, plus some of the coolest gear I've ever seen. But the Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Marantz thing is just some of us messing around it's been a on going thing on AH long before I signed up on AH. We just poking fun, sure Denon, Marantz, NAD, Onkyo sound good, very good as a matter of fact. Think of it like my car can beat your car kind of thing. Some of the guys on AH got setups to die for, will not to die for. All in fun bro.
The best thing is there still is some competition between a few makers. If one company buys them all, we will all end up with only one choice. :)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
@snakeeyes , my bad bro, I was responding to @OldAndSlowDev asking about the Denon, Yamaha etc thing. He's a good guy, he just asking is all. But I accidentally clicked the wrong post to reply to.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
True. Strange form Apple not to allow the feature and give more freedom to owners to set up sound as they wish.
Owners should push for software update, if possible. Write them emails.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
The best thing is there still is some competition between a few makers. If one company buys them all, we will all end up with only one choice. :)
No doubt competition is good. With AVR'S like Gene would say always gonna be some trade offs. Denon has and still does put out and Onkyo and other some of the nicest audio gear I've seen. Thing is too rich for my blood. All I can do is :oops: at it and dream.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
From what I read, Denon got excellent AVR with top of the charts SINAD/THD, but suffer from the infamous Panasonic hdmi 2.1 chipset that isn't able to decode both compressed and uncompressed signal, but they are still very capable
That's 2020 models. This was fixed with a free adapter box for owners.
2021 models have second gen boards with three HDMI 2.1 inputs, each one 40 Gbps. It works.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Here is my A8A. I still have to configure it. My 2040 I used the av controller app to turn my zone 2 on and off.

My. Zone 2 was just an hdmi out to my bedroom tv. So not powering any speakers. I have the same set up in my new house.

Receiver in basement. Hdmi cable going upstairs to living room tv and another rone to the second floor bedroom. I got to wire it all when the house was being built so it's all behind the walls.

Does anyone know how to turn on zone 2/3 from the new music cast app. The old av controller app was super easy. I don't know why they went away with it.

Attachments

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Here is my A8A. I still have to configure it. My 2040 I used the av controller app to turn my zone 2 on and off.

My. Zone 2 was just an hdmi out to my bedroom tv. So not powering any speakers. I have the same set up in my new house.

Receiver in basement. Hdmi cable going upstairs to living room tv and another rone to the second floor bedroom. I got to wire it all when the house was being built so it's all behind the walls.

Does anyone know how to turn on zone 2/3 from the new music cast app. The old av controller app was super easy. I don't know why they went away with it.
Oh man, I feel you on that, I can't even get the music cast app to work on my setup. I know I'm doing something wrong. But your right the AVR app is much better it won't work on the new line. Sure hope Yamaha does something about that. If not it surly is a step back.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Oh man, I feel you on that, I can't even get the music cast app to work on my setup. I know I'm doing something wrong. But your right the AVR app is much better it won't work on the new line. Sure hope Yamaha does something about that. If not it surly is a step back.
Only thing I can think of is that setting up scenes can solve this but I have never used scenes before, so I don't know what to think/do

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis