Hard time deciding between two receivers

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
So I was first looking at Sony STR-DN1080 receiver (seems really good for movies and seems to have nice sound signature for my taste), but than I I saw Denon AVR-X2700H receiver which has pretty good discount.

Speakers:
2X Dali Oberon 7 floor speakers (Front)
2X Dali Oberon 1 bookshelf speakers
Dali Oberon Vokal

Sony has 165W at 6 ohms but Denon has 150W at 6 ohms per channel (would the rated power ratings play big roll when watching movies at decently high volumes or is that just small thing in comparison).
Also I am totally pleased with 7.1/7.2 system in regards of upgrading my system in future
So which would be the way to go in your opinion/experience :)

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
So I was first looking at Sony STR-DN1080 receiver (seems really good for movies and seems to have nice sound signature for my taste), but than I I saw Denon AVR-X2700H receiver which has pretty good discount.

Speakers:
2X Dali Oberon 7 floor speakers (Front)
2X Dali Oberon 1 bookshelf speakers
Dali Oberon Vokal

Sony has 165W at 6 ohms but Denon has 150W at 6 ohms per channel (would the rated power ratings play big roll when watching movies at decently high volumes or is that just small thing in comparison).
Also I am totally pleased with 7.1/7.2 system in regards of upgrading my system in future
So which would be the way to go in your opinion/experience :)
Look for Yamaha V6A, a much better reciever than the 2 you mentioned.

The difference between 150 watts & 165 watts is minimal, so you may not notice any difference at all, but more power is always good as you have more headroom depending on your speakers.

If you listen to music a lot then Yamaha is the one to go for.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
Mainly I watch movies, but sometimes I listen some music also. But when looking at specs of yamana V6A, it doesn’t seem to be better atleast on paper than the other two, but maybe I‘m wrong about that, I will do some further research ;)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Please don't listen to a thing that Fucking Fruit Loop says.
You will NOT notice any performance or audible difference between 150 - 165 watts

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Mainly I watch movies, but sometimes I listen some music also. But when looking at specs of yamana V6A, it doesn’t seem to be better atleast on paper than the other two, but maybe I‘m wrong about that, I will do some further research ;)
Its on par with both the recievers.
Here:
"RX-V6A - Specs - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha - Other European Countries" https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-v6a/specs.html

"AVR-X2700H (2020) (2020 Model) 7.2ch 8K AV Receiver with 3D Audio, Voice Control and HEOS Built-in AV Receivers" https://www.denon.com/en-us/product/av-receivers/avr-x2700h

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
Please don't listen to a thing that Fucking Fruit Loop says.
You will NOT notice any performance or audible difference between 150 - 165 watts
Haha, well he didn't seem to be that wrong about that Yamaha receiver

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
Hmm it's still so hard to decide which one to go with. Music is not my top priority (I have hd660s for my music :D), but I still lean towards Sony cause of its superior user experience (less buggy than V6A) and its performance when it comes to Movies. aah i dont know lol

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Hmm it's still so hard to decide which one to go with. Music is not my top priority (I have hd660s for my music :D), but I still lean towards Sony cause of its superior user experience (less buggy than V6A) and its performance when it comes to Movies. aah i dont know lol
Well yamaha might have resolved those issues with the firmware updates.

The sony which your aiming for is also a good reciever, but I don't know how long Sony will support the product. That model is quite old. You may or may not get a firmware updates for that model.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
JMO I'm out on the Sony. It would be between the Denon or the Yamaha. The Dali's are 6ohm speakers so you'll need a receiver with a stable amp section.
Advantage - Denon

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
JMO I'm out on the Sony. It would be between the Denon or the Yamaha. The Dali's are 6ohm speakers so you'll need a receiver with a stable amp section.
Advantage - Denon
After a little research I also found that people who have upgraded from 1080 to 2700h have been mostly really pleased. Also for me the Denon is the cheapest of them. One thing I am curios about is if in future lets say I wanna do 7.2 system, will Denon be sufficient enough with powering all the speakers, or is than a separate amp necessary. But yeah as of now Denon 2700h looks like my go to receiver (unless you guys have any other suggestions for even better receiver in this price range).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
For power output tests, apples to apples, the Sony should be more in par with the Yamaha RX-A880, and more powerful than the entry level V6A. I like the Yamaha's Costco (different version/model no, but apparent equivalent) price, seems unbeatable..

Yamaha RX-A880 (Test) – audiovision
Sony STR-DN1080 (Test) – audiovision

Comparing specs would be more futile, due to the way they do those specs, but measurements are more reliable because they are measured values as long as we compare results done by the same bench using the same protocols/standards.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
will Denon be sufficient enough with powering all the speakers, or is than a separate amp necessary.
Will have to step up to the 3700 if you want that but I don't think you need to

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
After a little research I also found that people who have upgraded from 1080 to 2700h have been mostly really pleased. Also for me the Denon is the cheapest of them. One thing I am curios about is if in future lets say I wanna do 7.2 system, will Denon be sufficient enough with powering all the speakers, or is than a separate amp necessary. But yeah as of now Denon 2700h looks like my go to receiver (unless you guys have any other suggestions for even better receiver in this price range).
The denon X2700H doesn't have pre outs at all, while the yamaha V6A does have preout for Left & the right channel but not the center which might ruin the balance in the front stage.

The preouts is for taking load off the reciever by making a use of an external amp.

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
Still seems like Denon 2700h is all around better. I guess I can return it if I really don't like the sound signature.
But on as I am new to this thing, one more question: What kind of speaker cables should I use (will look into it little later myself when I have more time). Basically for surround speakers at least 10 meters/32 feet to one and to another 8 meters/26 feet. Front speakers like 2 meters I guess (sorry if it's stupid question heh).

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Still seems like Denon 2700h is all around better. I guess I can return it if I really don't like the sound signature.
But on as I am new to this thing, one more question: What kind of speaker cables should I use (will look into it little later myself when I have more time). Basically for surround speakers at least 10 meters/32 feet to one and to another 8 meters/26 feet. Front speakers like 2 meters I guess (sorry if it's stupid question heh).
16 or 14 gauge is fine, but go for 99% oxygen free cable (OFC). You don't want the cable to turn black, but be in its original form.

This will do: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4BIXDX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Ml55FbBBV7PR1

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
14 ga is fine but getting close to the limit. For me I would go with two parallel runs, that's what I have for my surround and surround backs.

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
14 ga is fine but getting close to the limit. For me I would go with two parallel runs, that's what I have for my surround and surround backs.
I can order this Cable
50m 2x2.5mm
It is OFC too, and seems pretty decently priced.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis