Sony 2023 ES Receiver lineup

EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
I Still enjoy my older version STR-ZA5000ES (from 2016). I coupled it with my 3 Channel Anthem MCA 325. The set up is perfect for my ears and needs at this time. I’ve been rocking on approx 7 Sony receivers since the 1990’s. Right before the one I have now, had the Sony DA5000ES. It replaced Sony STR DG-1200 that I still use daily in my office. It is 15 years old and starting to get some heat problems requiring a loud fan to keep it going. I will be upgrading it to something that serves my needs for the office. The STR-DA5000ES (2003 release) hit protected mode too many times and I gave up on sending it to Sony each time to fix. I believe the problem was too many ethernet ports and I used them and it heated the thing up beyond usable. I avoid more than 1 ethernet port use now. Sony’s Bells and whistles with the Connect 4 lights and other items to me were not of value.
When I upgraded to the ZA5000ES I was pleased for everything except no headphone jack. Then I got the Monolith headphone amp and I was happy again. The sound upgrade was at least 30% better than previous model. Unsure why but it sounded clear at even the louder levels. Major improvement in sound. I also have Dennon and Yamaha receivers and just prefer the clearer more neutral sound of the Sony top of the line.

I have not heard the new Sony Amp in this review but I don’t see I need it yet. I’m very happy with my set up for living room. If someone compared the new 5000 to my prior models that would be of help. The reviews I have found did not compare to the older models.

My only suggestion for Sony would be to include some of the SDDS sound features that my STR DG-1200 had. Many Movies we have end with the Credit to SONY SDDS sound. Truly you have seen this on so many movie credits and I have never heard one comment on how to get it! I have it on my older Sony receivers. I have experimented with Neural X and Dolby Digital surround but nothing compared to the 3 choices Sony offered.

Here is an explanation of what was..

Digital Cinema Sound (DCS): Digital Cinema Sound is the concept name of the surround technology for home theater developed by Sony. DCS uses the DSP (Digital Signal Processor) technology to reproduce the sound characteristics of an actual cinema cutting studio in Hollywood. When played at home, DCS will create a powerful theater effect that mimics the artistic combination of sound and action as envisioned by the movie director. The DCS soundfields used in this receiver include:

• Cinema Studio EX A: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio, great for watching most any type of movie
  • Cinema Studio EX B: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio, ideal for watching science fiction or action movies with lots of sound effects
  • Cinema Studio EX C: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment scoring stage, ideal for watching musicals or films where orchestra music is featured in the soundtrack
I understand that now Sony has 360 sound. I have it on the new SoundBar and it’s okay. But the SW5 surround speakers are weak with it. My Bedroom TV is an older Bravia that does not support the use of ERC ARC return channel so soundbar won’t work in atmos. So I’m stuck there. The Sony 360 sound is now said to be great. These new AVR's appear to make use of it per the reviews. I know it would be even better on the AVR if choices of the old SDDS modes were made available again and being exclusive to Sony, their product would boast something nobody else could get!

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I Still enjoy my older version STR-ZA5000ES (from 2016). I coupled it with my 3 Channel Anthem MCA 325. The set up is perfect for my ears and needs at this time. I’ve been rocking on approx 7 Sony receivers since the 1990’s. Right before the one I have now, had the Sony DA5000ES. It replaced Sony STR DG-1200 that I still use daily in my office. It is 15 years old and starting to get some heat problems requiring a loud fan to keep it going. I will be upgrading it to something that serves my needs for the office. The STR-DA5000ES (2003 release) hit protected mode too many times and I gave up on sending it to Sony each time to fix. I believe the problem was too many ethernet ports and I used them and it heated the thing up beyond usable. I avoid more than 1 ethernet port use now. Sony’s Bells and whistles with the Connect 4 lights and other items to me were not of value.
When I upgraded to the ZA5000ES I was pleased for everything except no headphone jack. Then I got the Monolith headphone amp and I was happy again. The sound upgrade was at least 30% better than previous model. Unsure why but it sounded clear at even the louder levels. Major improvement in sound. I also have Dennon and Yamaha receivers and just prefer the clearer more neutral sound of the Sony top of the line.

I have not heard the new Sony Amp in this review but I don’t see I need it yet. I’m very happy with my set up for living room. If someone compared the new 5000 to my prior models that would be of help. The reviews I have found did not compare to the older models.

My only suggestion for Sony would be to include some of the SDDS sound features that my STR DG-1200 had. Many Movies we have end with the Credit to SONY SDDS sound. Truly you have seen this on so many movie credits and I have never heard one comment on how to get it! I have it on my older Sony receivers. I have experimented with Neural X and Dolby Digital surround but nothing compared to the 3 choices Sony offered.

Here is an explanation of what was..

Digital Cinema Sound (DCS): Digital Cinema Sound is the concept name of the surround technology for home theater developed by Sony. DCS uses the DSP (Digital Signal Processor) technology to reproduce the sound characteristics of an actual cinema cutting studio in Hollywood. When played at home, DCS will create a powerful theater effect that mimics the artistic combination of sound and action as envisioned by the movie director. The DCS soundfields used in this receiver include:

• Cinema Studio EX A: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio, great for watching most any type of movie
  • Cinema Studio EX B: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio, ideal for watching science fiction or action movies with lots of sound effects
  • Cinema Studio EX C: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment scoring stage, ideal for watching musicals or films where orchestra music is featured in the soundtrack
I understand that now Sony has 360 sound. I have it on the new SoundBar and it’s okay. But the SW5 surround speakers are weak with it. My Bedroom TV is an older Bravia that does not support the use of ERC ARC return channel so soundbar won’t work in atmos. So I’m stuck there. The Sony 360 sound is now said to be great. These new AVR's appear to make use of it per the reviews. I know it would be even better on the AVR if choices of the old SDDS modes were made available again and being exclusive to Sony, their product would boast something nobody else could get!
I also still like my previous version 3100ES. It just replaced a Marantz 6013. For whatever reason it sounded better in that room. Super clear especially from the center.

I had purchased a 5000es from secondipity for around $550. It looked new but those are returns/refurbished. First couple days the right channel went bad. I had the opportunity for them to warranty it but I just said screw that and got a refund. At that price, probably should have had them fix it. But I figure it's probably a lemon.

But love my 3100ES and with external AMPS it gives me the same as 5000es for the channels I use it for 5.2.4.

I would really love to hear from anyone who has the newer ES and has also had the previous version to see how much different they are.

C

Captain Norway

Enthusiast
I have had the 5000ES for a few days and I am hearing a hissing sound from speakers for about 10 seconds after I pause a movie or when it transitions from say Netflix icon intro to the main movie and there's silences. It is not basic amp hissing, I am hearing some digital artifacts in the hiss too so I wonder if it has to do with the processing they do. When I turn off 360SSM, the hissing is much less audible and you can only hear it if you put your ear next to the speakers. Here's recording of how the hissing noise with 360SSM on: https://voca.ro/1ZPGl7ibEA9B I

Just wanted to share to know if @Matthew J Poes or anyone else have noticed this
I have the same issue on my 7000ES. For me, it goes away when 360 SSM is off.
Have you found a solution?

M

mattsrs

Audiophyte
I have the same issue on my 7000ES. For me, it goes away when 360 SSM is off.
Have you found a solution?
I returned the receiver and went back to x4800h. Didn't want to become a beta tester for Sony as IMO these receivers are not ready for their prime time yet software-wise. This hissing issue is a known issue and am not sure if they have addressed it. It is definitely an artifact of 360 SSM processing.

C

Captain Norway

Enthusiast
I returned the receiver and went back to x4800h. Didn't want to become a beta tester for Sony as IMO these receivers are not ready for their prime time yet software-wise. This hissing issue is a known issue and am not sure if they have addressed it. It is definitely an artifact of 360 SSM processing.
I am hoping for a solution, because I am relatively happy with it otherwise.

I especially am happy with the two center option.

C

Captain Norway

Enthusiast
After talking to Sony ES support, the noise when using 360SSM is “normal”, and you should not use it if you don’t want that noise. If they consider it normal, I then guess this will never be resolved in future updates.

Does this mean everyone who has reviewed these units have just ignored this issue?

Are there any other receivers that support two center speakers?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It allows one center speaker below and one above the tv.
This means I get the sound in the middle of the picture even though I sit very close to an 83 inch tv.
Using 2 Center speakers is usually a bad idea due to the comb filtering effect.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You seem skeptical.;)
What gave it away? :D

I have seven 4K Sony TVs in my house.

But somehow I don't have that much confidence in Sony's AUDIO department to be able to discover something revolutionary in AUDIO like effectively "PROCESSING" TWO CENTER CHANNELS when NOBODY ELSE has. :D

That spells GIMMICK to me. :D

C

Captain Norway

Enthusiast
That spells GIMMICK to me. :D
Others have this, you are just not aware of it.
You find it in high end processors like Trinnov and Storm.

But the Sony is the only option in a receiver below the StormAudio ISR 20 at 20k.

Last edited:
C

Captain Norway

Enthusiast
This is the Sony reply.

There is no way a problem that gets worse with temperature is “normal”.

Can the ones who tested this chime in?

Attachments

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
This is the Sony reply.

There is no way a problem that gets worse with temperature is “normal”.

Can the ones who tested this chime in?
A hissing sound is normal? Is that in their product description? If not, Shame on Sony for not owning their problem.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A hissing sound is normal? Is that in their product description? If not, Shame on Sony for not owning their problem.
Sounds like either another “bug”. Definitely not normal.

Sony is a giant company, but not sure how much they budget for their audio electronics department. Perhaps they budget more for their video electronics department. I would likely trust Yamaha and Masimo (Marantz/Denon) more for audio electronics.

Hattrick17

Hattrick17

Junior Audioholic
I just ordered the ES 5000 from Crutchfield. It should be in house by Wednesday of this post. I am looking to upgrade my Arcam AVR850 for a few reasons. 1. It has been a troubled AVR since I got it. Over 3 shipped repairs to Arcam certified repair centers one in NY and the other in LA. The AVR is working fine now going on two years, but I am still worried it will take a dump again. 2. I would like the newer features that are now available in newer AVR's. I am planning to get a new TV as soon as they go on sale and most likely they will be Sony being I have been a Sony fan of their TV's for quiet some time. Being there is a mixed bag of opinions on this new Sony ES lineup I figured I have 60 days to setup this new AVR and compare it to the Arcam AVR850. If I find the Sony ES5000 really doesn't sonically perform better than my Arcam it will go back to Crutchfield. Stereo is very much important for me being I only will have one receiver for both analog vinyl and digital streaming of HD music and of course the utilization for cinema. I do not see any reason to worry about center channel performance being my current old 1996 Klipsch KSF- C5 sounds great and blends perfectly with my other speakers per L&R which are not Klipsch. There is no concern of where the center audio is coming from. The speaker is below the TV about 4 inches and the dialog sounds like it is coming from the TV not the speaker. On another note, should I find any sort of noise regardless of how quiet it maybe from the ES5000 the Sony will go back. The AVR850 when working has been a fun and great sounding AVR dead silent and clear and frequency sound well balanced. If the Sony doesn't exceed the Arcam then it will go back and I will most likely move towards a new Arcam AVR31. Being the AVR30/31 is now in its 4th or 5th year of production I am not concerned with the bugs anymore being I am certain those are now resolved.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am looking to upgrade my Arcam AVR850 for a few reasons. 1. It has been a troubled AVR since I got it. Over 3 shipped repairs to Arcam certified repair centers one in NY and the other in LA. The AVR is working fine now going on two years, but I am still worried it will take a dump again...If the Sony doesn't exceed the Arcam then it will go back and I will most likely move towards a new Arcam AVR31. Being the AVR30/31 is now in its 4th or 5th year of production I am not concerned with the bugs anymore being I am certain those are now resolved.
Were the 3 shipped repairs related to the bugs or RELIABILITY (take a dump) ?

Most bugs are fixed with firmware updates.

If it's due to reliability, I would be more concerned.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis