Hard time deciding between two receivers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Difference between OFC vs a slightly different copper formulation like ETP is negligible altho its easy enough to buy OFC at a good price like you found. The type you generally can't compare directly would be CCA (copper clad aluminum) which sometimes is what cheaper speaker wire might be made from. I'm not up on my metric conversion to AWG, tho :) Try this site for good information on all things speaker wire http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm. Generally I just buy large reels of 12g to cover whatever needs I have....but I have some long low impedance runs, too.

As to which receiver, the power differences tend to be minimal among models in a given price range. Buy an avr for the features/connectivity you want at the best price you can find is generally my advice. Personally I do prefer having pre-outs for amp flexibility, and some may prefer the help Audyssey provides over other REQ/room setup routines (like Sony's DCAC or Yamaha's YPAO); the pre-outs plus actual dual sub capability (via that higher version of Audyssey) of the Denon 3700 might be a consideration, but will cost significantly more. That $400 Yamaha via Costco is a good value particularly for a basic 7ch system (there is some kerfuffle about the HDMI 2.1 chip issues some of the new gear is experiencing but sounds like that wouldn't be a particular concern for you).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
two parallel runs
Do you mean doubling up the +pos and -neg 14 gauge conductors for 11 gauge legs on the speaker cables?

I read that capacitance was affected by separating the two legs in a speaker cable but it was above my pay grade. I always wondered if it was in fact okay to do this with a 14/2 cables.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Still seems like Denon 2700h is all around better. I guess I can return it if I really don't like the sound signature.
But on as I am new to this thing, one more question: What kind of speaker cables should I use (will look into it little later myself when I have more time). Basically for surround speakers at least 10 meters/32 feet to one and to another 8 meters/26 feet. Front speakers like 2 meters I guess (sorry if it's stupid question heh).
If you're set on Denon then make sure you have a cabinet with atleast 5 inches of gap on the sides & top and open in the front & back, or else it'll get terribly hot. Mine got pretty hot running just 2 channel of the reciever watching netflix. That too when I kept on the chair (In the open)

If there isn't enough gap you'll need an infinity fan which can be placed on top of a Denon which will act as an exhaust for the heat to escape.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not all Denon models run hot, I'd install first and see if its an issue but breathing room is a good thing as well as a fan can be. Sach didn't own this model in any case, altho he did have one of its predecessors (2300) before he got butt hurt by it.

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
14 ga is fine but getting close to the limit. For me I would go with two parallel runs, that's what I have for my surround and surround backs.
14 ga seems totally fine for my length with 6 ohms (even for 40 feet). In what way would it be close to limit?

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
I have plenty of headroom for receiver no problem there.

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
I

Even for 4 ohm 40 ft for 14 ga would be adequate....
I think best option for me is to just buy 165 feet of 14ga cable (will be cheaper when I just buy in bulk). Should be no problemo for front speakers also, that need 7 feet of cable each.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think best option for me is to just buy 165 feet of 14ga cable (will be cheaper when I just buy in bulk). Should be no problemo for front speakers also, that need 7 feet of cable each.
Yep I buy 300ft reels of 12g just because it works for everything and the more you get the better price....and like to have some on hand for changes/new gear.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Don't forget the label "OFC", also check the reviews of it if you're buying from amazon. One of my cable has turned slightly black because, it isn't ofc cable.

You don't want your Denon or the speakers to get bad signal.

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
Don't forget the label "OFC", also check the reviews of it if you're buying from amazon. One of my cable has turned slightly black because, it isn't ofc cable.

You don't want your Denon or the speakers to get bad signal.

Yep, definitely OFC
I am getting this CABLE

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, definitely OFC
I am getting this CABLE
While in fact I DO believe Sachb would like to help you and has his heart in the right place, be sure to realize he knows so remarkably little about these things that even today when he sees name tag Yamaha, he thinks it has more bass (in direct mode!!!). He would also recommend you to read amazon "reviews" on cables. His time would be better spent on the receiving end of the advice, for sure.

With no extra effort, you'll probably notice some people here know a lot more and can give you safe and sound advice.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, definitely OFC
I am getting this CABLE
Roughly around 1,10$ per 1 meter (3 feet) is just fine. You won't spend a fortune and you'll get all that a cable can give you.

Your link leads to German Amazon, where are you situated if I may ask?

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
Roughly around 1,10$ per 1 meter (3 feet) is just fine. You won't spend a fortune and you'll get all that a cable can give you.

Your link leads to German Amazon, where are you situated if I may ask?
Hey, yeah man he seemed to really push yamaha :), I am situated in Estonia (unfortunately cable prices here are really expensive).
There are two options I consider: 2,5mm cable and 1,5mm/16ga, although 2,5mm/12ga seems to better for long distances if I understand correctly.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
More likely the dielectric/insulation of a cable that could cause discoloration due particular formulations, there have been some known cases of such chemical reactions causing discoloration, something to do with particular stabilizers IIRC. Likely it will still conduct electricity just fine, but would be ugly to look at.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Hey, yeah man he seemed to really push yamaha :), I am situated in Estonia (unfortunately cable prices here are really expensive).
I suggested Yamaha to you because Denon's demerits outweight its merits.

Killdozzer may not know about the heating issues, he might not have compared a identical yamaha to that of Denon, while I've had both the Denon & the Yamaha for a while now in my house.

Denon is a lot harder to work on as it has a so called "audyssey" for it to sound right, but even after doing so many tweaks it may or may not work for you.

I never forced you to buy Yamaha, I agreed upon the decision which you took & thereafter suggested to go for ofc cables. It's your money, & you're gonna live with it for maybe months or years.

Infact I was the first one who suggested oxygen free copper cables.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@cafez Well, the one you linked should have no problems at all even beyond 15 meters and the price is great. The one you linked is not at all expensive. There is this American standard you have to grasp when talking to Americans about wire; AWG - American Wire Gauge. But you don't have to waste time on that. Judging by this table:
1609063103591.png

We can see you aim at wire that is close to 10AWG - you can run this wire longer than you'll ever need. So if the price is right for you, you should quite confidently buy the one you linked.

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
I suggested Yamaha to you because Denon's demerits outweight its merits.

Killdozzer may not know about the heating issues, he might not have compared a identical yamaha to that of Denon, while I've had both the Denon & the Yamaha for a while now in my house.

Denon is a lot harder to work on as it has a so called "audyssey" for it to sound right, but even after doing so many tweaks it may or may not work for you.

I never forced you to buy Yamaha, I agreed upon the decision which you took & thereafter suggested to go for ofc cables. It's your money, & you're gonna live with it for maybe months or years.

Infact I was the first one who suggested oxygen free copper cables.

No worries :), OFC cables are really good idea, and I appreciate your input on that Yamaha receiver, you also brought up some really good points why it is good receiver.I just decided for my preferences Denon would suit me best.

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
@cafez Well, the one you linked should have no problems at all even beyond 15 meters and the price is great. The one you linked is not at all expensive. There is this American standard you have to grasp when talking to Americans about wire; AWG - American Wire Gauge. But you don't have to waste time on that. Judging by this table:
View attachment 43085
We can see you aim at wire that is close to 10AWG - you can run this wire longer than you'll ever need. So if the price is right for you, you should quite confidently buy the one you linked.
Oh yeah, your right it closer to 10AWG huh. Well as the price is really good, I'll go with that :)

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
oh in case your guys have time I drop some links here where I possibly can buy from (the receiver, maybe there is some hidden gem there lol):
First
Second
Third
Fourth
Fifth

If you guys have some time, you can take look, and thank you for already helping and enlightening me so much :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis