Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
There’s an issue : I am destroying my couch spending hours watching movies and listening music. Yesterday I tried gaming with 4K hdr and VRR enabled: it works (limited to 60hz of course until the firmware update).
Today I listen to Gene top Atmos albums. I was aware about most of the albums but Coldplay is a discovery
Sweet! Who needs 120hz when 60hz works great. I read a article that there wasn't a night or day thing between 120hz and 60z. I borrowed Son's PS2 played Final Fantasy 4 no game lag or VRR issues. Man love fighting those monsters on the Moon.
Screenshot_20211231-170415~2.png

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Sweet! Who needs 120hz when 60hz works great. I read a article that there wasn't a night or day thing between 120hz and 60z. I borrowed Son's PS2 played Final Fantasy 4 no game lag or VRR issues. Man love fighting those monsters on the Moon.
View attachment 52764
It’s actually night and day :)
I use to play on a 165hz monitor and when the frame rate drops below 150 I immediately notice it. Just waiting for a good 240hz monitor

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
It’s actually night and day :)
I use to play on a 165hz monitor and when the frame rate drops below 150 I immediately notice it. Just waiting for a good 240hz monitor
Yeah, if you sit right up on your monitor sure. But for 4K movies, sitting back from say a 4K tv 77", 15ft away just how much can anyone really tell. Guess you gotta sit in the sweet spot. But than again, someone with 20-20 Vision may be able to tell as opposed to someone without perfect vision, golden ears as to golden eyes gotta be blessed to have both, but for how long. Without my glasses on I can't see the letters on my TV sitting 15ft away.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Happy new year to all the great AH family members ! I wish you great firmware updates full of fixes, improvements and new features!

daddyo

daddyo

Audiophyte
Thanks for the thorough review Gene !!! I am in the market for a new Yamaha avr (to replace a 5-yr old Aventage 660) and am evaluating both the A4A and A6A units. Some of the tech data is above my pay-grade but if I'm going to spend $2000 on a new receiver I certainly expect it to measure well. I think that I'll wait another 6-12 months and see if Yamaha can not only complete the tech features of this new line but perhaps tweak some of the "inaudible" measurement issues while their at it.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the thorough review Gene !!! I am in the market for a new Yamaha avr (to replace a 5-yr old Aventage 660) and am evaluating both the A4A and A6A units. Some of the tech data is above my pay-grade but if I'm going to spend $2000 on a new receiver I certainly expect it to measure well. I think that I'll wait another 6-12 months and see if Yamaha can not only complete the tech features of this new line but perhaps tweak some of the "inaudible" measurement issues while their at it.
Find yourself a trusted Dealer
Check out @AcuDefTechGuy he can get, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha. Why wait when the AVR of your dreams can be had New. I just read that Denon went up on prices.

Last edited:
AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I just read that Denon went up on prices.
And one of their pre-production units is being evaluated at the moment, so refresh of mid and higher tier models is likely in a few months. Everyone expects them to install all 40 Gbps ports as they have multi-input chips ready. Here is the presentation by Phil Jones and his guests. The more competition, the better.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This is wise. ;)
Now that I sold all my old gear and clutter I want to put a smaller system in the bedroom but I'm not even thinking about doing anything for most of the year until the supply chain issues chip shortages and quality control issues that has been hounding some of these companies gets a little less crazy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Ex flagship Yamaha AVR RX-A3080 finally got bench tested:

Yamaha RX-A3080 Review (AVR) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
0.008% THD+N for the FRONT LEFT and FRONT RIGHT CHANNELS is not too bad for a REFURBISHED unit. :D

I wonder how all the refurbished units I bought measured? Oh, wait, they were all defective. :D

Another question: What about the Center and Surround Channels? Don‘t we also want the Center and Surround Channels (CH 3, 4, 5) to be 0.008% THD+N? :D

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
0.008% THD+N for the FRONT LEFT and FRONT RIGHT CHANNELS is not too bad for a REFURBISHED unit. :D

I wonder how all the refurbished units I bought measured? Oh, wait, they were all defective. :D

Another question: What about the Center and Surround Channels? Don‘t we also want the Center and Surround Channels (CH 3, 4, 5) to be 0.008% THD+N? :D
Oh yeah! Still Can't hear 0.5! :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
And one of their pre-production units is being evaluated at the moment, so refresh of mid and higher tier models is likely in a few months. Everyone expects them to install all 40 Gbps ports as they have multi-input chips ready. Here is the presentation by Phil Jones and his guests. The more competition, the better.
Sure if your a gamer. Other than that it's a waste on any AVR.:p:cool:

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

You are saying that a new Yamaha unit would measure better and that we should avoid refurbished Yamaha receivers because they are reliably defective? :D

Last edited:
I

iraweiss

Enthusiast

Help!

I am trying to reconcile the measurements and conclusion of this review with today's Audio Science Review's review of the functionally similar RX-A3080, the model that preceded the RX-A6A in Yamaha's lineup:

Any thoughts?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
The Ex flagship Yamaha AVR RX-A3080 finally got bench tested:

Yamaha RX-A3080 Review (AVR) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
Thanks for posting that up @PENG. I looked at his findings, Yamaha gotta do better than that! I sold off my RX-A1080, why? If I'm to be honest, and my hearing isn't what it use to be, but at levels of -15db or more on the volume display but mostly at reference level I wasn't happy. I see why now. Andrew @AcuDefTechGuy you thinking of selling off your RX-A3080 now?:D That crosstalk didn't look good at all man not for a flagship AVR. It's definitely flawed Andrew. I see a RX-A8A in your near future.;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis