Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
How does this compare to other services that claim "Hi Res" music?
I understand you don’t like their terminology… ok. Besides that, how is their service any different from Apple (except Apple sucks because they rely on Airplay), Qobuz or Tidal (except their reliance on MQA)? They all have losselsss and hi-res tiers
Yes, I was focused on Amazon's rather misleading terminology. They have two paid tiers: "Fresh water" and "Ultra fresh water". When you hear "Ultra", Amazon hopes you will become more thirsty.

Did not compare the names of other services, but wioll look into it.
Screenshot 2021-12-25 at 10-37-20 Hi-res music streaming services compared which should you si...png

I’ve thought I can hear the difference in a 24 vs 16 bit track. I have no way to scientifically prove this and don’t care to.
Differences can be heard, for sure. There is more to it than sample rate and bit depth. How much different songs sound also depends on the amount of trimming in original studio mastering. Some 16-bit songs sound definitively better than other 24-bit ones. And you are right about excellent 16-bit songs.

S

sk11vengeance

Enthusiast
Apologies if this has been asked before recently but does anyone know when the HDMI 2.1 firmware for 4k 120hz will be coming out next year? I saw a post mentioning February but thats all I could find. Id really like to get this receiver soon but it would be nice to know if they haven't hit a significant setback or something.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Apologies if this has been asked before recently but does anyone know when the HDMI 2.1 firmware for 4k 120hz will be coming out next year? I saw a post mentioning February but thats all I could find. Id really like to get this receiver soon but it would be nice to know if they haven't hit a significant setback or something.
Technically they already have something that works as demoed with a ps5 or Xbox série X but they are waiting for an official approval

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Q1-Q2 2022.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Q1-Q2 2022.
Is there an update indicating that the 2/2022 date Yamaha previously gave for their Firmware Update has been delayed more? Or is this merely speculation about the HDMI consortium being able to actually deliver on their part of Yamaha holding out on activating their digital boards?

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Is there an update indicating that the 2/2022 date Yamaha previously gave for their Firmware Update has been delayed more? Or is this merely speculation about the HDMI consortium being able to actually deliver on their part of Yamaha holding out on activating their digital boards?
During the global pandemic, any firm date has been delayed over and over again. So, February sounds to me like any one month in H1 2022.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
During the global pandemic, any firm date has been delayed over and over again. So, February sounds to me like any one month in H1 2022.
That I get. Just that adding Q2 to that date, especially as you have been very informative before, lends an air of knowledge that hasn’t been revealed previously.
Me? I won’t believe it until I see it. ;)
Thus far, Yamaha is still wearing pie on their collective face.
I still hope to see these companies, all of them!, rise above this midden heap of the past two years.

May 2022 be the year of HDMI. ;) I know it won’t be perfect. It’s just time to move on. :)

D

Dezed

Enthusiast
Here. One of bizarre demoes I have seen. The player at the end turns his back to the camera. :rolleyes:
so from this we can tell it will support 4k 120hz, VRR, ALLM even while outputting to two other hdmi outs. We can’t tell if it’ll support HDR and Dolby vision at those rates - wish they just showed what the Xbox video settings see, but there’s no reason it shouldn’t since 40 gbps is sufficient.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
We definitely know it won't be 2021!!! :(
Sorry to all the Yammy-heads, but that was clear a while ago. *shrugs

I’m curious to know if Yamaha will be doing a refresh of any of their Avantage gear next year?

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I’m curious to know if Yamaha will be doing a refresh of any of their Avantage gear next year?
The lower tier models from 2020 are already released with new HDMI boards with 24 Gbps port speed. Boxes have a peculiar yellow dot on them to indicate a new production cycle. That's one refresh that finally works as intended.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
so from this we can tell it will support 4k 120hz, VRR, ALLM even while outputting to two other hdmi outs. We can’t tell if it’ll support HDR and Dolby vision at those rates - wish they just showed what the Xbox video settings see, but there’s no reason it shouldn’t since 40 gbps is sufficient.
It's not clear whether the demo showed 8-bit or 10-bit picture and in which colour space.
It's perfectly possible that this was 4K/120 8-bit 4-2-0 signal, which could work on HDMI 2.0 ports at 18 Gbps, without even engaging FRL data protocol for higher bandwidth introduced by 2.1 spec.

Last year, in Sound United's demo videos, Phil Jones clearly showed 40 Gbps signal being fed into AVRs, with entire breakdown on resolution, refresh rate, bit depth, colour space, dynamic range and other features. You could clearly see 4K/120 10-bit HDR RGB VRR ALLM on one simple screen, all together. Yamaha has some learning to do for future demoes.

It's not enough to say that your friends could watch a football match on patio on the second screen. Man, just show us the tech spec, please... so that we can see that demo software actually delivers. This would give a greater reassurance to owners.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Just bought Ready Player One... OMG. It's really impressive how they pushed the use of Atmos in this movie. I watched back to back English vs French Canadian version (always preferring original version but my youngest is still not fluent enough for English movies) , which are Atmos vs Surround... the difference is MASSIVE.
Best demonstration of the front height/presence speaker use. I am sure with four ceiling it would even be better but I have still no idea about how to install ceiling speakers in my room.

sollyemmy

sollyemmy

Enthusiast
QQ - I know this could be a repetitive question especially from me - Did anyone who ordered from BB (USA or North America) in the last few weeks receive the RX-A6A at the estimated time as suggested by BB as it has been showing in and out of stock pretty frequently? I put in an order on Dec 16th and it shows Jan 10th but i am not too sure yet as the status is still "ready for packaging" for the last week or so. It came back again in stock now after being OOS for a few days for new orders delivery as Jan 24th.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Just bought Ready Player One... OMG. It's really impressive how they pushed the use of Atmos in this movie. I watched back to back English vs French Canadian version (always preferring original version but my youngest is still not fluent enough for English movies) , which are Atmos vs Surround... the difference is MASSIVE.
Best demonstration of the front height/presence speaker use. I am sure with four ceiling it would even be better but I have still no idea about how to install ceiling speakers in my room.
Yo! How's you Yamaha RX-A8A doing? Any issues?

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Yo! How's you Yamaha RX-A8A doing? Any issues?
There’s an issue : I am destroying my couch spending hours watching movies and listening music. Yesterday I tried gaming with 4K hdr and VRR enabled: it works (limited to 60hz of course until the firmware update).
Today I listen to Gene top Atmos albums. I was aware about most of the albums but Coldplay is a discovery

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis