Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The RX-A3080 (MSRP $2,200 when first released) = RX-A6A (MSRP $2,200).

Both have 150W x 9CH amps and 11.2CH Processing. Both have L/R XLR Inputs and Outputs.

Yamaha got rid of the RX-A2080 (no new equivalent).

I think the new $3,000 RX-A8A = old $5,500 RX-Z11. Both have 150W x 11Ch amps. So that's a huge price decrease from $5,500 to $3,000. :D

But we'll have to see the power amp measurements of the new RX-A8A to see how it compares to the RX-Z11.
I bet the A8A will measure about the same as the 3080, say within 1dB in output into 8, 4 Ohms, 2 ch driven. For 5,7 channels, it should be within 1, even 0.5 dB as well but it would depend on whether Yamaha would tune the protection thing to be more forgiving. All just based on specs comparison, the extra weight is most likely not from a larger power supply, based on their marketing info.

Nothing beats the rx-11, not even their so called separate power amps.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I bet the A8A will measure about the same as the 3080, say within 1dB in output into 8, 4 Ohms, 2 ch driven. For 5,7 channels, it should be within 1, even 0.5 dB as well but it would depend on whether Yamaha would tune the protection thing to be more forgiving. All just based on specs comparison, the extra weight is most likely not from a larger power supply, based on their marketing info.
With 11Ch of amps vs 9Ch, I would expect the A8A to have a little more power output into 2Ch/5Ch than the A3080. But we'll see. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
With 11Ch of amps vs 9Ch, I would expect the A8A to have a little more power output into 2Ch/5Ch than the A3080. But we'll see. :D
Agreed, but you do know 1 dB is significant, numerically speaking in terms of watts;)?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For those of us not well versed in the Yamaha world, how have there previous mid-upper tier AVRs measured for multi-channel output capability? I'm asking in the way of the D&M 70% kinda thing... :) and how the Yammies compare.
Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed, but you do know 1 dB is significant, numerically speaking in terms of watts;)?
You mean to say the 11Ch-A8 might have a little more power output than the 9Ch-A3080, but the difference in output should be less than 0.5-1.0dB?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For those of us not well versed in the Yamaha world, how have there previous mid-upper tier AVRs measured for multi-channel output capability? I'm asking in the way of the D&M 70% kinda thing... :) and how the Yammies compare.
Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!
I think Yamaha doesn't like more than 5CH-All-Channel-Driven because of their stringent circuit-protection. So I doubt Yamaha 5Ch-7Ch ACD will be as high as DM Amps since DM doesn't have the same degree of stringent circuit-protection.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think Yamaha doesn't like more than 5CH-All-Channel-Driven because of their stringent circuit-protection. So I doubt Yamaha 5Ch-7Ch ACD will be as high as DM Amps since DM doesn't have the same degree of stringent circuit-protection.
But that just brings me back around to the "stability" question I posed earlier, just a different angle of it. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
But that just brings me back around to the "stability" question I posed earlier, just a different angle of it. ;)
The only thing I am concerned about is how it works in the REAL WORLD, not on the ACD lab.

If it works/sounds great powering 11 speakers (7.2.4), stays cooler than everything else in comparison, performs more reliably than everything else in comparison, that's more important to me that any ACD lab numbers on any site.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The only thing I am concerned about is how it works in the REAL WORLD
This!
I agree completely. In a way, that's what I like about the D&M 70% guarantee... it's not so much about a hard fast figure as it gives you a reference of what to expect performance wise.
I like Multi-Channel 5.1 audio. Knowing what to expect from an Amp stage is an important aspect of shopping smart, just as is knowing if the processor part of the equation can handle external Amps if applied. :)

Likewise, I am in agreement with Snake and PENG about likely not buying anything this year. It seems the Gen2 HDMI chipsets are still proofing, with Yamaha banking hard that they will do what they should. If they work, then perhaps we will see what comes later this year in the way of Anthems update, the Monoprice HTP-1 update...
Even if these new AVRs from Yamaha are the bees knees, they still aren't quite hitting full value from what should be expected of properly baked tech.
SU's and Yamaha's rush to market last year was clearly a poor choice and something we'll be struggling for another year+, likely, to see proper resolution to.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I first started out in this hobby, owning separates and expensive cables was about sound quality.

Later when I realized that it wasn't about sound quality at all, it was then about reliability.

Later when I realized that it wasn't about reliability either, it was then about just being cool. :cool: :D

Now I think in my NEXT stage, it's about seeking the balance between coolness (flagship model, aesthetics) vs practicality (reliability, compatibility, functionality, cost, etc.).

If a Flagship AVR can do everything that separates can do (SQ, PQ, measurements, etc.), plus be as reliable (20YR), plus cost a lot less, that just seems good to me. :D

I

iraweiss

Enthusiast
When I first started out in this hobby, owning separates and expensive cables was about sound quality.

Later when I realized that it wasn't about sound quality at all, it was then about reliability.

Later when I realized that it wasn't about reliability either, it was then about just being cool. :cool: :D

Now I think in my NEXT stage, it's about seeking the balance between coolness (flagship model, aesthetics) vs practicality (reliability, compatibility, functionality, cost, etc.).

If a Flagship AVR can do everything that separates can do (SQ, PQ, measurements, etc.), plus be as reliable (20YR), plus cost a lot less, that just seems good to me. :D
I second the reliability part. My RX-A3000 gave up the ghost a few weeks ago after nearly 10 years with the same problems - picture OK, no sound, well documented on AVS Forum. https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-yamaha-rx-a1000-rx-a2000-rx-a3000-thread.1267744/page-466#post-54813432 Start at post 9319. Looks like it will be heading for electronics recycling in a week. I guess 10 years is a good life span for a contemporary receiver with its complexity.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Part of not buying yet for me is my RXA2060 is still going strong. I do like the details on RXA6A so far but I can wait a couple versions. If I needed one right away I would probably go for it. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Part of not buying yet for me is my RXA2060 is still going strong. I do like the details on RXA6A so far but I can wait a couple versions. If I needed one right away I would probably go for it. :)
Agree. My SR6012 is behaving itself. *knocks on wood And these Yammies, if the HDMI holds up to scrutiny look to be the best thing thus far. ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
You mean to say the 11Ch-A8 might have a little more power output than the 9Ch-A3080, but the difference in output should be less than 0.5-1.0dB?
Yes, 1.2 times is only 0.5 dB. The A8A and A3080 are both rated 150 W, 2Ch driven into 8 Ohms, at the same distortion level. So for the A8A to offer 0.5 dB more output, it would need to be rated 150X1.2 or 180 W but it isn't. When I say it may be 0.5 dB more powerful, I have already made the assumption that on the bench it would measure 20% more output.

According to Audiovision.de,
- A3080 measured 240 W, 2 Ch driven into 4 Ohms.
- Marantz SR8012 (8015 not available for free, yet), 235 W
- AVC-X8500H, 260 W
- AVR-A110, 277 W

We don't know if Audiovision.de's are based on 0.1% THD or 1.0% but my guess is, most likely 1%.

Even the much more expensive and heavier AVR-A110 measured only 20%, that is 0.5 dB more output than the A3080. If I were to go with the A8A, it will be for the up to date feature set, and potentially better preamp performance at 2 V, but not for more power output. Its much better looking too but that's subjective.

Regardless, for $300 less than the SR8015 and $2,600 less than the AVR-A110, I think United Sound better sell as many of their flaghships as they can before the A8A gets on the shelves.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Likewise, I am in agreement with Snake and PENG about likely not buying anything this year. It seems the Gen2 HDMI chipsets are still proofing, with Yamaha banking hard that they will do what they should. If they work, then perhaps we will see what comes later this year in the way of Anthems update, the Monoprice HTP-1 update...
Yeah I really think those apparent HDMI2.1/8K related "bugs" may take a year or more to settle. Yamaha does have time on their side so they may be fine, but for me, I would love to try the new CXA so may as well wait another year.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...I would love to try the new (Yamaha) CXA...
Oh, that will be the day. :D

I mean back then, did you ever think I would switch to Yamaha the way I was preaching DM and DEQ all the time? :D

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Until someone tests these beasts properly, all we have now is speculation...which I'm about to add too.
Some of the extra weight comes with the additional 2 channels of amplification added in and above the 3080. Whether or not the transformer in the power supply follows suit is yet to be determined. Did Yamaha ratio up the existing transformer to meet the additional load of the 2 channels or did Yamaha actually go beyond the ratio and add some extra capacity in the transformer? Same question applies to the main filter caps in the piwer supply. It would also be nice if Yamaha wasnt so dam conservative on their protection circuitry... just to add more capacity in the ACD test.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh, that will be the day. :D

I mean back then, did you ever think I would switch to Yamaha the way I was preaching DM and DEQ all the time? :D
Im not switching camps either unless I win the lottery and have money to burn. Nah, not even then.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
These look interesting. Especially now that you can set YPAO to address lower frequencies only. Although I never had an issue with Yamaha's room correction at all. I go in and just change speaker size to small and set the crossover to what I want. It is normally spot on with distance. A lot of stuff sounds good with the through or manual setting anyway.
I guess when my 3060 burns out I'll look at the A6A or whatever... Strange damn naming convention though. I don't get it. For now I still love my 3060. Looks great, plays great.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I still really like my 2060. I probably would have gotten the 3060 but I really didn’t need 11 channel processing.. My 9 channels in 5.1.4 is the perfect layout in my room. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis