Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

T

tparm

Audioholic
Please don't tell me you're using an app on your phone for an SPL meter....right?
You’d be surprised at their accuracy. I’ve done a couple double not blind test with my old radio shack analog SPL meter, damn near the same.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
You’d be surprised at their accuracy. I’ve done a couple double not blind test with my old radio shack analog SPL meter, damn near the same.
I've used those apps in a pinch.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Definitely depends on the quality of the phone but I would never trust it. I have the old Radio Shack SPL but I use REW/ASIO4ALL and a UMIK-1 these days, it's easier to use it's test tones.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
After...watch Gene's video I posted. The only thing I do different is that I never use the internal test tones because it's common thought that AVRs bypass their calibration settings when using them. I always use an external source for my test tones.
I’ve seen a lot of speculation about this but never actually saw any resolution. Do you have any links illustrating that? I understand the concept, just never seen any proof.
I always just figured the pink noise band was wide enough that peaks wouldn’t affect the tones.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely depends on the quality of the phone but I would never trust it. I have the old Radio Shack SPL but I use REW/ASIO4ALL and a UMIK-1 these days, it's easier to use it's test tones.
I agree with this. All phone mics have different roll off profiles and if the app designers don’t take that into account well…
Plus, way back in the old days, someone at home theater shack posted correction files for the RS meter accounting for its inaccuracy down low. Good times! Way back when I used to use a BFD to EQ. Yikes!

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
I’ve seen a lot of speculation about this but never actually saw any resolution. Do you have any links illustrating that? I understand the concept, just never seen any proof.
I always just figured the pink noise band was wide enough that peaks wouldn’t affect the tones.
Great question, the only proof I have is that it measures differently on mine internal vs external so I go with external since that is where my sound is going to be coming from. I have never seen proof just speculation in a lot of different places from people who are way more knowledgeable than me. Gene's video I linked to earlier is from 2014 and he is using internal test tones. It would be interesting to hear what his thoughts are today.

Last edited:
clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Not sure if you've seen this but Brad over at Home Theater Gamer discusses this exact topic. Some great info and thoughts in his video....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Not sure if you've seen this but Brad over at Home Theater Gamer discusses this exact topic. Some great info and thoughts in his video....
I’ll try that out later. Thanks.

I’d also like to here what @gene thinks about this. Maybe he can clear it up with a single post! Lol

T

tparm

Audioholic
I like REW (and Quick Measure in ARC) too. Just doesn’t do Atmos channels.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
If I set master volume to zero and set every level to get a 75dB Using test tone (just to check, I know I should have a source with room correction engaged), I got this. But my subs won’t output more than 65dB using the test tone pink noise so I can’t really match the subs level. What I see is that within 1dB the « offset levels » between speakers match what YPAO compute. So I think YPAO is not that bad for level

Attachments

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Something else I realized is using « large » speakers for every speakers with extra bass is more pleasant (more medium) than no extra bass and speakers set to small with a 80hz crossover.

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Something else I realized is using « large » speakers for every speakers with extra bass is more pleasant (more medium) than no extra bass and speakers set to small with a 80hz crossover.
If all your surround speakers can go under 80Hz why don't you set the crossover to 60Hz or even lower for every channel (depending on the speaker specs) and try again?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I set my XO to 120Hz even when I owned the Revel Salon2. :D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I set my XO to 120Hz even when I owned the Revel Salon2. :D
I think it’s because of the quality and ability of your subs, my REL Tx9 are quite small so it could explain why the bass aren’t sounding better when using a high crossover and relying on the subs only under 120hz

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it’s because of the quality and ability of your subs, my REL Tx9 are quite small so it could explain why the bass aren’t sounding better when using a high crossover and relying on the subs only under 120hz
Yes. Absolutely. It depends on the subwoofers you have.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
If I set master volume to zero and set every level to get a 75dB Using test tone (just to check, I know I should have a source with room correction engaged), I got this. But my subs won’t output more than 65dB using the test tone pink noise so I can’t really match the subs level. What I see is that within 1dB the « offset levels » between speakers match what YPAO compute. So I think YPAO is not that bad for level
Same here can't get my Sub over 65dB using the pink noise test.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis