Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The volume knob on my A4A, is smooth, doesn't wobble. It's actually kind of tight when I turn it, very rarely mess with it though.
Heh, I touch the volume control of my AVR only a few times a year as I use a remote control.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yes but I am a pro, I have ran it maybe a hundred times everytime I move one speaker, change the subs positions :) So it takes me less than three minutes I think
Same here, I like looking at all those little squiggly lines. If I see one lil bump up or down after running it again drives me crazy! Like, what was wrong with the other's? Why Yamaha went and changed up again! So it's a never ending cycle of running again and again. Out of like 20 times did YPAO, got it the same only twice.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Yes but I am a pro, I have ran it maybe a hundred times everytime I move one speaker, change the subs positions :) So it takes me less than three minutes I think
I take it that if you are doing it in less than 3 minutes that you are not checking the level match of your speakers after YPAO right?

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I take it that if you are doing it in less than 3 minutes that you are not checking the level match of your speakers after YPAO right?
My levels are always correct, it's more about the PEQ, angle and distances

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
My levels are always correct, it's more about the PEQ, angle and distances
Interesting...my levels playing test tones via disc or REW not internal test tones have never been correct on the 3 Yamahas I have owned. I have always had to make adjustments to get everything to 75dB reference post YPAO. I agree with you YPAO is more about PEQ, angles and distances which is why I level match afterwards. BTW not sure if you know this but checking levels via your internal test tones makes your AVR bypass it's YPAO settings so it's not an optimal way to check.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Interesting...my levels playing test tones via disc or REW not internal test tones have never been correct on the 3 Yamahas I have owned. I have always had to make adjustments to get everything to 75dB reference post YPAO. I agree with you YPAO is more about PEQ, angles and distances which is why I level match afterwards. BTW not sure if you know this but checking levels via your internal test tones makes your AVR bypass it's YPAO settings so it's not an optimal way to check.
Levels? What you two talking about? Matching All levels.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Levels? What you two talking about? Matching All levels.
With an SPL meter for 75dB reference to match all the speakers. You seriously have never heard of doing this????

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
With an SPL meter for 75dB reference to match all the speakers. You seriously have never heard of doing this????
Wait what, knew that two or more subs it's recommend to level match at 75dB, so umm All are to be level matched at 75dB? Is that to be done before or after running AC?

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Wait what, knew that two or more subs it's recommend to level match at 75dB, so umm All are to be level matched at 75dB? Is that to be done before or after running AC?
After...watch Gene's video I posted. The only thing I do different is that I never use the internal test tones because it's common thought that AVRs bypass their calibration settings when using them. I always use an external source for my test tones.

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
After...watch Gene's video I posted. the only thing I do different is that I never use the internal test tones because it's common thought that AVRs bypass their calibration settings when using them. I always use an external source for my test tones.
Oh yeah, I remember now. Yeah I do that, but I need to go do it now, cause I did do a hard reset and just ran YPAO only the second time. Thanks for the refresher much appreciated!

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Oh yeah, I remember now. Yeah I do that, but I need to go do it now, cause I did do a hard reset and just ran YPAO only the second time. Thanks for the refresher much appreciated!
You're welcome I think. This unit has only been out for a few months and you forgot about this already? :oops:

T

tparm

Audioholic
Does YPAO allow you choose only one channel to remeasure? I assume you are only measuring one location in 3 minutes @OldAndSlowDev ?

Is there a toggle to bypass YPAO like Quick Measure on ARC (Anthem)?

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
You're welcome I think. This unit has only been out for a few months and you forgot about this already? :oops:
Yeah you did good, I just wasn't following is all. But yeah I've been level matching subs and channels since 2011. ;)
Screenshot_20220108-180033-032~2.png

I likea lil hot,

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Please don't tell me you're using an app on your phone for an SPL meter....right?
Yep, :D I'll get my son meter tomorrow and his tripod. But for now close, my surrounds where off, also sub was only at about 66dB

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Man! I'm here cricket's now out of my speakers! Real crickets! Oh wait, that was just part of the song I'm streaming never mind.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis