Top 10 Current Speaker Manufacturers in the World!!!

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I don't have the Logos2 subwoofers, just the Logos1 monitors. The Logos1s have a retail price of $15,000pr. I got a good deal, for a demo pair, from a dealer overseas (who shall remain nameless on a public forum) and paid $5100pr. with shipping, bank fees, and customs included. For what the speakers are, it's an incredible deal. I wish I could afford the Logos2 subwoofers.

Goldmund speakers show up on Audiogon at least a couple of times per year. So keep an eye out. If you're interested, PM me and I will help you find a pair.

BTW, a Logos1 and Logos2 set sold on Audiogon two years ago for $10,000 total.
Let me guess did you get them from a dealer out of Seoul Korea, I've been to both showrooms there. These http://www.hometheater.com/floorloudspeakers/108cine/ will give your Goldmunds a run for your money.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Now, the Totems sounded terrific! I'm used to my Goldmund Logos1 sound, but these were worthy enough to stand a step below them. The Totem's Seas metal dome tweeter is fantastic! I loved the super rich, crisp, glassy, liquid treble and midrange. And what's more important, they were not fatiguing at all.
I have only heard the Totem element fire and like them a lot, better than the Paradigm Signature series. I have no idea what their curves look like but I would bet they have low distortions.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I have an update... and not a good one!

So I took a good listen to the following speakers, all driven by mediocre and overpriced junk (Naim and Integra) electronics.

1.) Epos Epic 2 $800pr.
2.) Epos Epic 1 $600pr.
3.) Totem Forest $4500pr.
4.) Paradigm Signature S1
5.) Paradigm Studio 20
6.) Paradigm Studio 10
7.) Paradigm Signature S2
8.) Revel Performa M22

I have no words... The Paradigms were all painful to listen to. Could not bare them for more than a few minutes.

The Revel Performa M22 was also painful, but slightly more bearable than the Paradigms.

Both the Revels and the Paradigms sounded like someone put the entire speaker in a thin sheet metal box.

Now, the Totems sounded terrific! I'm used to my Goldmund Logos1 sound, but these were worthy enough to stand a step below them. The Totem's Seas metal dome tweeter is fantastic! I loved the super rich, crisp, glassy, liquid treble and midrange. And what's more important, they were not fatiguing at all.

The real surprise was the Epos Epic 2 speakers. They completely destroyed both the Revel M22 and all of the Paradigms. At $800pr. they might be the best deal in audio at the moment.

I've looked at measurements for both the Totem Forest and the Epos Epic 2 speakers and they measure a poor +/-4dB, with a not so good off-axis performance.

This is not good, I must investigate further...
Does your dealer carry the Definitive Technology lineup?

If so, go and listen to a pair of BiPolar BP7000SC Supercube SuperTowers -- to us these were VERY IMPRESSIVE.

There are some floored ones w/ our dealer, that he will sale for $3K per Pair, vs. the list at $5.5K. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have only heard the Totem element fire and like them a lot, better than the Paradigm Signature series. I have no idea what their curves look like but I would bet they have low distortions.
None of the Totem speakers I've seen have flat FR. More like +/-4dB. Another example of speakers that sound better than some flat FR speakers.:D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Does your dealer carry the Definitive Technology lineup?

If so, go and listen to a pair of BiPolar BP7000SC Supercube SuperTowers -- to us these were VERY IMPRESSIVE.

There are some floored ones w/ our dealer, that he will sale for $3K per Pair, vs. the list at $5.5K. :)
The OP is comparing 15K speakers to $600.-- speakers.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
None of the Totem speakers I've seen have flat FR. More like +/-4dB. Another example of speakers that sound better than some flat FR speakers.:D
The dealer told me the Element Fire has no crossovers. I can tell you that little two way speakers put out incredible bass. Their speakers are relatively small, can't take too much power and may not play loud, but I think they could do well in a small room for critical 2 channel music listening.

R

ridikas

Banned
I'm afraid more bad news. Listening day number two... I visited three stores. Listened to dozens of speakers. Longest session was around 10 mins, shortest was under 10 seconds.

1.) KEF - Entire Q Line: Nice no fatiguing highs. Hard nasty lower midrange. Boxy/boomy bass. Build quality is cheap.

2.) Canton - Various monitors in the $2K range: Boxy, rolled off highs, boring.

3.) Harbeth P3ESR - Nonesense, unlistenable.

4.) Warfedale - Samples from multiple lines. Overall impression: Boxy, distorted, splashy, choked. Build quality is cheap.

5.) B&W - DM300, DM600, CM, PM lines are all unlistenable. The Nautilus Diamond 800 series is a strange animal. Very pleasant highs, midrange, and lower midrange. Glassy, rich, liquidy, focused, and non fatiguing. Where it all falls apart is in the bass unfortunately. It's not boomy, or boxy, but rather sounds like someone put the bass drivers in a sturdy cardboard box. Very unfortunate in an otherwise good sounding line. The build quality of the Nautilus 800 series is absolutely impeccable. World class.

6.) Focal - Everything up to and including the Electra line. Below Electra is unlistenable junk. Electra is another strange speakers. Biggest problem, is the cheap boomy cabinet. Makes the bass driver seem detached from the rest of the speaker. Gives a hollow sound. The highs are also splashy, but weirdly in a completely non fatiguing way. I'm a detail freak and these speakers provide it in spades. But to the point where even I had too much. Its just a very unatural, but non fatiguing speaker. BTW,the smaller Utopias sound pretty amazing.

7.) Revel - F32 and F52: Just as bad as the Performa M22. Unlistenable. Rather painful. Hollow.

8.) Thiel - CS2.4 tight bass, clear focused midrange and highs. Very enjoyable throughout and non fatiguing to listen to. But that is all Thiel has to offer. The CS1.6 is literally painful to listen to, so are the MCS1, SCS4 and SCS4T speakers. Could not bare them for more than a few second. Did not bother with the CS3.7. But I would strongly recommend the CS2.4s.

9.) Martin Logan - The entire line is unlistenable.

10.) Magnepan - The entire line is unlistenable.

11.) Mirage - All boomy and unlistenable.

12.) Definitive Technology - Boomy and unlistenable.

13.) Egglestoneworks - Isables and Andras were painful. Did not bother with the rest.

14.) Wilson - Sashas were hollow, detached, very similar to the Focal Electras. Did not bother with any other models.

15.) Gallo Acoustics - Simply painful.

16.) Amphion - Very hard and rather unpleasant. No bass.

17.) Rethm - Laughably bad.

18.) Bang & Olufsen - Boomy.

19.) Dynaudio - Does everything right, but doesn't want to excel. A good speaker, but without any interesting personality traits to stand out.

20.) Vienna Acoustics - Meh.

21.) Carnegie Acoustics - Unlistenable. Boxy, boomy, cheap, with a splashy ribbon tweeter.

22.) Phase Technology - Another speaker that does most things right, but is just sooooooo boring. Their sound signature is the total lack of personality.

23.) Mission - Boxy, boomy, cheap.

24.) OHM - Nonesense.

25.) Quad - Nonesense.

26.) Polk Audio - Cheap all around.

27.) Yamaha - Descent on an extremely limited budget.

28.) Avantgarde - Open, smooth, dynamic, efficient, non fatiguing, strange, beautiful to look at, 3D soundstage, etc. A great speaker, but who the heck can put that in their room???

29.) Naim - Good, but boring.

30.) Krell - Painful.

31.) Klipsch - One of the better speakers under $1000 range. If it wasn't for the Epos, Klipsch would take the crown.

32.) Nohr - Painful.

33.) Sonus Faber - Beautiful to look at, impeccable build quality, hollow sound, grainy, harsh, chocked, slightly boomy bass, nothing exciting.

34.) Energy - Decent if on a budget.

35.) Proac - Smaller monitors are all unlistenable. Hard, no bass, grainy, painful, etc. Larger monitors are OK.

So a nasty trend is developing. Nearly all of the manufacturers, including the ultra expensive high end, are skimping out on cabinets. Or simply don't know what they're doing, or how to properly build boxes.

Since I'm used to the Goldmund Logos1 monitors, it makes it very hard to listen to cheap MDF speakers. The Goldmunds are made out of a 2cm thick bar stock aluminum plates. And heavily braced inside. They virtually have no vibrations while the speakers are playing and add absolutely no coloration. If I rap on them with my knuckles, it feels like I'm hitting a solid block of metal.

95% of all of the speakers that I've listened to have a boxy, or boomy sound. I can hear it immediately and I'm turned off right away.

Now, the cheap 0.75" vinyl laminated MDF Epos Epic 2 ($800pr.) loudspeakers, had no boxiness, or boominess of any kind! Their cabinets did not feel anymore sturdier than the competition. So I'm guessing they're actually using a smart bracing system internally that actually works.

So far, in no particular order, I like the following manufacturers:

Totem
Epos
B&W
Goldmund
Thiel
Dynaudio

Coming up: Revel Ultima2, PSB Synchrony, KEF R-Series, Blade, and Reference, Jamo, Boston Acoustics, Monitor Audio, YG Acoustics, Magico, Audio Physic, and Avalon Acoustics.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
And you did all of this in what city, town country ?

Waukegan, IL ?

Last edited:
H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
lol. I guess you might as well give up since you clearly listen to 70% of the world's speakers in a day and hated them all.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Like I said, I found this thread entertaining. Actually it is has gone beyond being entertaining. It's getting to be like Alcoholic drinks, not good for health if too much but........:D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So far, in no particular order, I like the following manufacturers:

Totem
Epos
B&W
Goldmund
Thiel
Dynaudio

Coming up: Revel Ultima2, PSB Synchrony, KEF R-Series, Blade, and Reference, Jamo, Boston Acoustics, Monitor Audio, YG Acoustics, Magico, Audio Physic, and Avalon Acoustics.
Could you do me a favor and add Element Fire and one of those Android looking Tannoy (don't know the model number) to your list? The only Totem I have listened to long enough to form an opinion is the Fire, so I would love to hear your impression on them. Thanks regardless.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Don't forget to audition the JBL Everest DD66000 speakers.

If you can't find them in the 50 states, you can fly to Japan. I think they have some there.

Oh, and don't forget the KEF Muon. They have some in England. No problem.

Oh, and have you already audition the Focal Grande Utopia III? I know they have some in France. Easy.

You know what?

I'm sure you can find some Salk Soundscape 12 and Linkwitz Orion speakers to audition too right here in the USA. Do everyone a favor and let us know what you make of them after you hear them.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, and have you already audition the Focal Grande Utopia III? I know they have some in France. Easy.
and while your doing that stop by Reynaud in Barbezieux and pick up my grill cover.

R

ridikas

Banned
Correction: Goldmund Logos1 enclosure is made out of 1cm (10mm) thick aluminum bar stock plates. This is roughly 3/8" in English.

R

ridikas

Banned
PENG - I cannot listen to the Totem Element Fire, nor to the Tannoy speakers, because no one stocks them in my area.

I've heard most of the Totems that have the Seas aluminum tweeter and they were all exceptionally good.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Geez, Klipsch got beat out by EPOS :( -- hard to believe, but we have not heard the EPOS, except that many like them and recommend listening to an EPOS.

Are you rating each speaker Mfg/Model on a Scale from 1-10?

Sounds like your leaning toward the EPOS. :D

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
PENG - I cannot listen to the Totem Element Fire, nor to the Tannoy speakers, because no one stocks them in my area.

I've heard most of the Totems that have the Seas aluminum tweeter and they were all exceptionally good.
We liked those Totem Winds, but at $10K out of our price range.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis