Some words regarding Neal Young removing his music from Spotify.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Joe Rogan even though I have no idea why he is the way he is but he is a really, really funny comedian. Dude made me piss my pants. Again I don't him now with his podcast but man is he funny with standup.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
If you want to see a really funny comedian, watch some of Jim Jeffries stuff on Netflix. I was literally crying I was laughing so hard at his stand up routine. I've never seen Rogans stand up, nor listened to his podcast. I only know him from Talk Radio, Fear Factor and his UFC commentating days.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I would rephrase it slightly:

Believe's got nothing to do with it (as William Money might say if he was a lawyer).

What does have something to do with it are the actual words of the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." (emphasis added)

The First Amendment applies to Congress.
And the 14th?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

The first amendment protects speech from the government, not a private business.

I thought it prevents congress from make laws to control it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

People certainly are too stupid. It's why we only have 68% of people vaccinated. This is country for some odd reason is very susceptible to stupidity and listen to most ignorant. These people turn their back on scientists, doctors, experts and anyone with a degree. The same idiots that's think the Earth is flat. We are F-ed because of the stupidity has literally overtaken the country.

Well, there are some scientists and doctors who they listen to though. ;) :D

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Joe Rogan is a comedian?!? He's about as funny as a truckload of dead babies on Mother's Day.

I also never cared for Neil Young's music. The one good thing about this thread is that I learned I'm not the only one who doesn't like NY's songs.
Well, this thread is where I found out that anyone doesn't like NY's music. The guy ranks up there with Bob Dylan as a music legend! One could quibble over the quality of his singing voice, but we could say the same (or more) about BD. I really don't get it.

Joni Mitchell joins Neil Young in pulling music from Spotify over 'lies' | CBC News
So, who will be the first to say that Joni Mitchell sucks, too?

As for "free speech" issues, this most certainly does not qualify. He can't force Spotify to drop Joe Rogan, he is simply saying "It's him or me - you choose".

To be honest, I know practically nothing about Joe Rogan. The most I've heard/seen his name is regarding the COVID misinformation spewed on his podcasts.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The risk of myocarditis being induced by covid itself is almost double or triple than the risk of getting it from the vaccination.
I just want to point out, I learned this from Rogan's podcast. I'd say this is good info, and I had no clue until watching the episode with Josh Zepps. Before that all I'd heard was that there's a risk of myocarditis from the vaccination and did not know that if you catch covid there's an even greater risk of it. Joe even highlighted it after the podcast.

I just think Joe has concerns and a lot of questions that I think are very reasonable. I don't get the feeling he has an agenda, and he's not telling folks they shouldn't get vaccinated. Again tho, I'm not all the way caught up so there could be more to it that I don't know about but as of now from what I've heard I don't get the message that Joe is telling folks not to do it. "Don't listen to me. Listen to the experts, I'm not a doctor, I'm an idiot behind a mic and not someone to be giving life advice".

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So, who will be the first to say that Joni Mitchell sucks, too?
I think it's you!

Lots of people hate Young. I think he knows music. Sucky voice but home slice made good. I still give Heart of Gold a listen once in a while. His SNL performance about a million years ago sounded good on TV speakers!

Ann Murray is about as good as it gets for you guys. :)

highfigh

highfigh

Altho how many artists can actually place/pull music on their own?
When it's a streaming service and the musician has such a large catalog, they can- Taylor Swift did this too, but for a different reason. However, Spotify pays so little/play and Young's music probably amounts to a small fraction of the revenue that comes from Rogan's podcast, so it was an easy decision.

This is a lot like a kid saying "I'm taking my ball and going home" when the other kids pick on them. He doesn't want his music to be associated with Rogan, but he can't control that. Rogan can probably be heard on other channels over the air- would Young try to tell Clear Channel to stop playing his music? That would cost him a huge amount.

highfigh

highfigh

People certainly are too stupid. It's why we only have 68% of people vaccinated. This is country for some odd reason is very susceptible to stupidity and listen to most ignorant. These people turn their back on scientists, doctors, experts and anyone with a degree. The same idiots that's think the Earth is flat. We are F-ed because of the stupidity has literally overtaken the country.

In Milwaukee, I'm not sure the vaccinated amount to more than 56%. The MKE population being mostly minority/non-White, they don't trust the government, but they refuse to vote for change.

The CDC articles are written in a way that makes them harder to understand than the British ones- a Dr John Campbell has videos on YouTube with data from the British agencies and CDC and he comments on the way the CDC writes in almost every video.

The US education system for the masses is the reason we're screwed- for the best and brightest, it's a completely different story.

highfigh

highfigh

I thought it prevents congress from make laws to control it.
The 1st Amendment exists to assure a free press, to prevent an official religion/allow free practice of religion, but it also extends to private individual speech/expression and allows freedom of peaceful assembly and petitioning the government. Free speech is allowed, as long as they don't do something stupid like yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater or cause other mass hysteria.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I think it's you!

Lots of people hate Young. I think he knows music. Sucky voice but home slice made good. I still give Heart of Gold a listen once in a while. His SNL performance about a million years ago sounded good on TV speakers!

Hate? I can perhaps understand some southern racists hating him, for political reasons. Otherwise...I don't get it.

"I think he knows music". I think Tom Brady knows football...

If he had to depend on his voice alone, he would never have gotten out of the starting gate. But, like Bob Dylan, the brilliance of his music transcends any inadequacies with his voice.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
And the 14th?
Briefly, the bill of rights (Amendments 1-10 of the U.S. Constitution) puts limits on the power of the federal government, and the 14th amendment extends these limits to state governments.

These amendments say nothing about agreements between private parties.

By way of example, if a production company hires someone to perform in Hamlet, but the person then gets on stage and launches into a soliloquy about how much they love the organic dental floss they just bought from their neighbor Moon Unit, the production company can fire them because they failed to do the job they were hired to do.

Is Rogan the congress of the United States? No.

Is Spotify the congress of the United States? No.

Is Neil Young the congress of the United States? No.

Is Rogan a state government? No.

Is Spotify a state government? No.

Is Neil Young a state government? No.

We should all take a moment to be grateful that the answer to all of the above questions is "no."

The 1st Amendment could (at least in theory) come into play if one of the parties asserted a state or federal law against the other party and if the law in question did in some way limit speech. So far, I have not heard that this is what happened in the Rogan/Spotify/Young saga.

In certain instances, courts will refuse to enforce agreements between private parties (e.g. between drug dealers) on tehe basis that the agreement itself is against public policy, etc., but this is not a constitutional issue.

Roughly speaking, 99.99999% of disputes between private parties do not involve constitutional issues (okay, I'll admit I pulled that number out of my tailpipe, but you get the point).

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hate? I can perhaps understand some southern racists hating him
Serbian chick in TO in the 90's.
Plus my Danish g/f from Calgary in the 80's.
Probably my current g/f too.

NY hate is pretty common.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
It looks like Joni Mitchell has joined Young in removing her music from Spotify. Is it the start of an avalanche?

highfigh

highfigh

I think it's you!

Uh, wut?

You do know Canada has produced more music that these three, right? They shall never be forgiven for Nickelback. NEVER!

Bryan Adams (actually has a song titled 'I Want To Be Your Underwear')
Loverboy
Max Webster
Rush

Here's a list-

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis