Some words regarding Neal Young removing his music from Spotify.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Not even mentioning Rogan but that's beside the point. He doesn't believe in the first amendment. To paraphrase Skynyrd, Northern man don't need him around either.
What nonsense.

What is with the ignorant posts about the first amendment. The guy is a lying dirt bag and we all respect Young for yanking his stuff.

Rogan is yelling fire in a crowed theater, teh bitch should not have a podcast on Spotify.

First amendment. My God, the stupidity of teh cult.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Try telling that to a Jury that wants to award a $billion of two in punitive damages against a corporation that's caused harm.

You'll see the ball gag get inserted pretty quick.
Libel and Slander lawsuits are examples of disputes between private parties that do potentially involve 1st Amendment issues.

>>>American and English law had a storied tradition of treating libel as wholly without any free-speech protections. . . . However, in the celebrated case of New York Times Co. v. Sullivan (1964), the U.S. Supreme Court constitutionalized libel law. . . . The high court reversed, finding that the “law applied by the Alabama courts is constitutionally deficient for failure to provide the safeguards for freedom of speech and of the press that are required by the First and Fourteenth Amendments in a libel action brought by a public official against critics of his official conduct.” . . . Defamation, like many other torts, varies from state to state. For example, states recognize different privileges and apply different standards with respect to private-person plaintiffs. Interested parties or practitioners must carefully check the case law of their respective state. Defamation suits can further important interests of those who have been victimized by malicious falsehoods. However, defamation suits can also threaten First Amendment values by chilling the free flow of information. Once again, this is why many states have responded to the threat of meritless defamation suits by passing so-called Anti-SLAPP statutes.<<<

As a practical matter, courts typically decide 1st Amendment issues by construing a law as not covering the conduct in question rather than striking down the law as being unconstitutional. In other words, the court will say in so many words "If the libel law instituted by the Muckety Mucks over in the state capitol covered the statements in question the law would be unconstitutional, but we conclude that the statements are not covered by this law and plaintiff can therefore eat sh*t" (okay, I made up the "eat sh*t" part, courts almost never actually say that)

Striking down a law as unconstitutional is harsh remedy because it (at least in theory) restricts the ability of the other branches of government going forward in ways that may be unforeseen. Courts often construe a statute narrowly to avoid ruling directly on constitutional issues. Citizens United is of course an example of a decision that struck down a law, and this does indeed happen.

The Supreme Court is not actually itching to strike down laws as being unconstitutional. The vast majority of Supreme Court decisions are more run of the mill cases interpreting a federal statute. Some of these decisions are controversial, but congress can pass a new law if it disagrees with the court.

Here's a list of laws struck down by the Supreme Court on the basis that the laws were unconstitutional:

Out of the 100-150 or so cases the Supreme Court hears, very few result in a law being struck down on the basis that it is unconstitutional.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Rogan is yelling fire in a crowed theater, teh bitch should not have a podcast on Spotify.
Do you have an example? I'm being serious. I haven't heard everything he's said and am still looking at what specifically may have set Neil off.

Joe has opinions and a lot of questions, but I haven't heard him once tell anyone he's any kind of authority or that they should not get vaccinated. He constantly makes disclaimers and tells people he's wholly unqualified to advise anyone on anything.

What I've seen him do is have conversations with experts, pro-vax experts, (and layfolk) about it and ask a lot of questions. He voices his concerns and expresses his doubts, but doesn't shut the experts down or say he thinks they're wrong. He gives them a platform to state the facts and has been admittedly proven wrong.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Now I know why this thread was moved to the Steam Vent: To facilitate creepy old dudes posting about hiding naked, except for dirty juvenile underwear, in @Swerd closet.

Jesus, what have the world come to?

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Libel and Slander lawsuits are examples of disputes between private parties that do potentially involve 1st Amendment issues.

>>>American and English law had a storied tradition of treating libel as wholly without any free-speech protections. . . . However, in the celebrated case of New York Times Co. v. Sullivan (1964), the U.S. Supreme Court constitutionalized libel law. . . . The high court reversed, finding that the “law applied by the Alabama courts is constitutionally deficient for failure to provide the safeguards for freedom of speech and of the press that are required by the First and Fourteenth Amendments in a libel action brought by a public official against critics of his official conduct.” . . . Defamation, like many other torts, varies from state to state. For example, states recognize different privileges and apply different standards with respect to private-person plaintiffs. Interested parties or practitioners must carefully check the case law of their respective state. Defamation suits can further important interests of those who have been victimized by malicious falsehoods. However, defamation suits can also threaten First Amendment values by chilling the free flow of information. Once again, this is why many states have responded to the threat of meritless defamation suits by passing so-called Anti-SLAPP statutes.<<<

As a practical matter, courts typically decide 1st Amendment issues by construing a law as not covering the conduct in question rather than striking down the law as being unconstitutional. In other words, the court will say in so many words "If the libel law instituted by the Muckety Mucks over in the state capitol covered the statements in question the law would be unconstitutional, but we conclude that the statements are not covered by this law and plaintiff can therefore eat sh*t" (okay, I made up the "eat sh*t" part, courts almost never actually say that)

Striking down a law as unconstitutional is harsh remedy because it (at least in theory) restricts the ability of the other branches of government going forward in ways that may be unforeseen. Courts often construe a statute narrowly to avoid ruling directly on constitutional issues. Citizens United is of course an example of a decision that struck down a law, and this does indeed happen.

The Supreme Court is not actually itching to strike down laws as being unconstitutional. The vast majority of Supreme Court decisions are more run of the mill cases interpreting a federal statute. Some of these decisions are controversial, but congress can pass a new law if it disagrees with the court.

Here's a list of laws struck down by the Supreme Court on the basis that the laws were unconstitutional:

Out of the 100-150 or so cases the Supreme Court hears, very few result in a law being struck down on the basis that it is unconstitutional.
Found this article by Alan Dershowitz in Atlantic Monthly from some time ago. Some interesting thoughts iro First Amendment and the story of Holmes famous example. Thought it would be of interest.

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Now I know why this thread was moved to the Steam Vent: To facilitate creepy old dudes posting about hiding naked, except for dirty juvenile underwear, in @Swerd closet.

Aw... your just jealy he hasn't shown up in your closet!
;) :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

If they're gonna wear someone else's underwear I don't think it's appropriate for them to be wearing them on their heads and pretending to be Spider-Man...

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Aw... your just jealy he hasn't shown up in your closet!
;) :p
If you read my post a little more carefully you would know that this is far from the case. My only concern here, if you would believe it, is Swerd’s wife!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you read my post a little more carefully you would know that this is far from the case. My only concern here, if you would believe it, is Swerd’s wife!
Word has it, she hired Alex to hide in their closet.
o_O
:eek:

:p

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
If they're gonna wear someone else's underwear I don't think it's appropriate for them to be wearing them on their heads and pretending to be Spider-Man...
So you don’t know that putting dirty teenager underwear on your head while hiding a closet is a turnoff?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So you don’t know that putting dirty teenager underwear on your head while hiding a closet is a turnoff?
Not if you get the leg holes lined up right with your eye holes and know when to make the "thwip" sound!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Tho the bacon strips in his underwear kinda breaks the suspension of disbelief a li'l bit...

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@Pogre
The sandwich I was eating just blew through my nose cos I laughed so hard!
Thank you.

…I think.

:D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Don’t knock it til you’ve tried it!
:D o_O :D

(…both without, and with, the chloroform…)
;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think it’s safe to declare at this point, this thread is now a:
1643485309854.jpeg

:)

Congrats, all!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@Pogre
The sandwich I was eating just blew through my nose cos I laughed so hard!
Thank you.

…I think.

:D
Just to illustrate...

This noob is totally doing it wrong.

maxresdefault (7).jpg

However this guy is clearly experienced.

comedian-wearing-underwear-head-194149940.jpg

All he needs to do now is thwip and he's the whole package.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis