Some words regarding Neal Young removing his music from Spotify.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Southern man don't need him around any how.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Not even mentioning Rogan but that's beside the point. He doesn't believe in the first amendment. To paraphrase Skynyrd, Northern man don't need him around either.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Misinformation has nothing to do with free speech.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's Neil Young fwiw. This Neal is obviously an impostor :) Neil and his library....just Pono!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Altho how many artists can actually place/pull music on their own?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Laura Ingraham to LeBron James:
"Shut up and dribble."

Now, I never liked NY... but are you guys suggesting that he doesn't have a right to take a stand for something he believes in by withholding his music from a company that is also promoting a person who has raised concerns about many controversial stances from Covid to racist and anti-LGBTQ comments?

Frankly, Spotify should dump 'em both. :p
But at least Neil is standing up for something he believes in.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't see anything about Neil's particular reasons myself, nor do I particularly care....he can control it and can do what he wants.....that's the Canadian American way after all, yeah? :) Just saying few artists have control like Neil. Few tried to start silly audio setups indicating flac was something particularly special, too :)

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Laura Ingraham to LeBron James:
"Shut up and dribble."

Now, I never liked NY... but are you guys suggesting that he doesn't have a right to take a stand for something he believes in by withholding his music from a company that is also promoting a person who has raised concerns about many controversial stances from Covid to racist and anti-LGBTQ comments?

Frankly, Spotify should dump 'em both. :p
But at least Neil is standing up for something he believes in.
Spotify would probably have done that if they had not given Rogan $100M.
Mr. Young absolutely has the right to take a stand for something he believes in. That's free speech. What will be interesting is its not his music anymore. Only 50% of his music is his.

Its one thing to put your money where your mouth is but he just kicked his investors where it counts. Would love to see the small print on that deal about doing harm to his product. Let the law suits begin.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Misinformation has nothing to do with free speech.

I would rephrase it slightly:

Believe's got nothing to do with it (as William Money might say if he was a lawyer).

What does have something to do with it are the actual words of the First Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." (emphasis added)

The First Amendment applies to Congress.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good grief just looked it up, this is over Joe Rogan comments? Come on, who takes advice from Joe Rogan?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
If misinformation were banned politicians would not be able to open their mouths at election time or any other time..
No one said misinformation was banned, it's not protected by the constitution. Misinformation and conspiracy isn't protected speech.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Neil's always an interesting guy and wants you to know about it, too. :) His land in San Mateo County is to drool for, tho.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Spotify would probably have done that if they had not given Rogan $100M.
Mr. Young absolutely has the right to take a stand for something he believes in. That's free speech. What will be interesting is its not his music anymore. Only 50% of his music is his.

Its one thing to put your money where your mouth is but he just kicked his investors where it counts. Would love to see the small print on that deal about doing harm to his product. Let the law suits begin.
Sometimes it’s good to be king. Hipgnosis group (I think that’s what I read they were called, doesn’t have any say in the managing of his music in this case.
*shrugs
Anyway, never really liked him enough to care one way or the other.
Same for Rogan.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Neil's always an interesting guy and wants you to know about it, too. :) His land in San Mateo County is to drool for, tho.
I thought he was in Malibu… lost his home a few yrs back to a wildfire.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I thought he was in Malibu… lost his home a few yrs back to a wildfire.
Well he may have had the fire issue, not sure. I know some got close but never heard he lost his. He was I believe largest or second largest private land owner in San Mateo County....and the ranch that was at the center he bought long ago and is integral to his first stuff (like the old man reference) :) I did a few particular jobs for them but never got an invite out to the property, but know some who did....

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
1. Spotify sucks
2. Neil Young music sucks
3. I respect Neil's conviction
4. At the end of the day, none of this affects me
5. end of rant

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
No one said misinformation was banned, it's not protected by the constitution. Misinformation and conspiracy isn't protected speech.

Don't think the before mentioned politicians, the media, advertising industry, legal profession, writers and performers of satire/parody/comedians, Hollywood, Larry Flynt, on and on, would agree with your statement either.
Who defines what misinformation is? You trust the government to define it? The best defense against misinformation is education and debate and people make up their own minds.
We have different views on protected speech.
End of my rant!

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
This is a dispute between two private entities.

The First Amendment applies to congress.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis