New Paradigm Studio .v5

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Are all those speakers in this photo in the studio line? If so, what is that speaker right next to the 20? Is that the new 60? If so, it looks like they added another driver, right? The old 60 was basically just a 40 in a bigger cabinet - which I found rather pointless.

I wonder then, if they added another driver to the 60, did they add another driver to the 100s?

Perhaps this was already pointed out - but can anyone confirm that?

Good catch drinke..... when they added the S6 to the Sig line they went to a 3 way design. Maybe thats what they are doing with the New Studio 60.

That will only leave the Studio 40 as a 2 1/2 way design.... As good as the Sig S4 sounds as a 2 1/2 way design, I prefer the 3 way over it for better midrange clarity....

D

drinke

Junior Audioholic
Good catch drinke..... when they added the S6 to the Sig line they went to a 3 way design. Maybe thats what they are doing with the New Studio 60.

That will only leave the Studio 40 as a 2 1/2 way design.... As good as the Sig S4 sounds as a 2 1/2 way design, I prefer the 3 way over it for better midrange clarity....
Right - I would likely have went directly with the 60s (as opposed to the 40s - which I now have and owe a review on).

With an additional driver on the 60s (which I also like the sound of), you might logically think that they would almost have to add another driver to the 100s.

Otherwise I wonder if perhaps the 100s would be viewed as not being worth the upgrade.

Presumably this might be the reason why the current S6 and S8s are configured the way they are.

W

wiyosaya

Audioholic
I talked with my dealer yesterday, and as far as they know, there is no ETA on the .v5 line.

EDIT-

I found this post in which someone said their dealer says first quarter 2009.

BTW - my dealer said there will be no driver changes or sound improvements. Just the new cabinet.

All the best,
Matthew

Last edited:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have to set some type of rule around this for myself. I really like the curved cabs and since my HT room is my living room, looks mean a lot.

I think I will set 500 bucks as the deal breaker. This means if my dealer will take my 100's and let me trade up for 500 bucks or less, then I will get them. Since he gave me full price back on the 40's(after 1 year) when I upgraded to the 100's, I bet he will do this.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Good point but remember, I am a top dog salesman so I can get him back on my side without much trouble.
Yeah, but that was before the whole receiver fiasco, right? :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Good point but remember, I am a top dog salesman so I can get him back on my side without much trouble.
I should hire you during our performance reviews. Will you work like a lawyer - you'd only get paid a percentage of any salary increase?

Hmmm. That's like an agent. I'd never thought about that before. An engineer with an agent. I like it.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Sure but I don't think your company would allow it.
I should hire you during our performance reviews. Will you work like a lawyer - you'd only get paid a percentage of any salary increase?

Hmmm. That's like an agent. I'd never thought about that before. An engineer with an agent. I like it.

W

wiyosaya

Audioholic
I have to set some type of rule around this for myself. I really like the curved cabs and since my HT room is my living room, looks mean a lot.

I think I will set 500 bucks as the deal breaker. This means if my dealer will take my 100's and let me trade up for 500 bucks or less, then I will get them. Since he gave me full price back on the 40's(after 1 year) when I upgraded to the 100's, I bet he will do this.
My dealer has a +25% rule with a 100% credit for one-year generally applied to upgrades, but the 25% would apply to a lateral move if the new model is +25% of the old model price. So, they are willing to give me the current model at 15% off so that when the new model comes out with the expected 10% increase, it will be at least 25% more than what I paid for the current model.

But, that means a significant change for me. I'm planning on a 100's / CC690 and putting my display on top of the 690. With the curved cabinet, I would have to get a flat panel mount for my Salamander Sonoma at ~$500. That would mean an extra $1K or so (the mount plus the speaker difference) that I don't think I am willing to part with.

G

GB8

Enthusiast
I would be starting from scratch so I might as well wait for the v.5 even if the drivers are the same (e.g. for the Studio 100). Hopefully we'll see the v.5 speakers by late April or early May.

And even if the "only" change is in the cabinet design that should affect the sound quality or "character".

Will be interesting demoing a complete v.5 system (Studio 100, CC690 and Studio 20). Planning to try a SVS sub.

TRT

TRT

Junior Audioholic
I would be starting from scratch so I might as well wait for the v.5 even if the drivers are the same (e.g. for the Studio 100). Hopefully we'll see the v.5 speakers by late April or early May.

And even if the "only" change is in the cabinet design that should affect the sound quality or "character".

Will be interesting demoing a complete v.5 system (Studio 100, CC690 and Studio 20). Planning to try a SVS sub.
The ver.5's are available right now here in South Florida.

G

GB8

Enthusiast
The ver.5's are available right now here in South Florida.
Hello TRT,

Which v.5's? All of them?? All the "Studio Reference v.5" models?? So far all the news say April-May. You wouldn't happen to have a link would you? Paradigm doesn't even list the new v.5 Studio Reference models yet. :)

B

bluegrassbubba

Enthusiast
The reason they are not listed yet is to give dealers time to clear out the v.4's. I ordered the v.5's on Wed. 100's/690/590's/sub-12. I'm waiting on email to confirm del. date.

Hello TRT,

Which v.5's? All of them?? All the "Studio Reference v.5" models?? So far all the news say April-May. You wouldn't happen to have a link would you? Paradigm doesn't even list the new v.5 Studio Reference models yet. :)

G

GB8

Enthusiast
The reason they are not listed yet is to give dealers time to clear out the v.4's. I ordered the v.5's on Wed. 100's/690/590's/sub-12. I'm waiting on email to confirm del. date.
Well, if that's the case, then I guess there's a good chance I'll be joining the club in April. Would still want to demo them but I don't think I'll hear a "problem". If they sound anything like the v2-v4 I should love them.

Did you demo them? Or did you just put in your order as soon as you heard they were available?

Also, when you guys get your Studio ref v5, please post some pics.

This is good news. :) Was considering PSB Synchrony too but I hate the fact that they are manufactured in China. Yes I am biased (for now). Rather buy speakers made in Canada, the US or UK. Also on my short list are KEF XQ.

B

bluegrassbubba

Enthusiast
I did not listen to the v.5's, I'm upgrading a 20 year old setup, so I am sure I will be ecstatic with the improvement. I went with the rosewood finish, someone posted the cherry looked better, I wish I could have seen them first. No word on when they will arrive, only that the order has been received.

Well, if that's the case, then I guess there's a good chance I'll be joining the club in April. Would still want to demo them but I don't think I'll hear a "problem". If they sound anything like the v2-v4 I should love them.

Did you demo them? Or did you just put in your order as soon as you heard they were available?

Also, when you guys get your Studio ref v5, please post some pics.

This is good news. :) Was considering PSB Synchrony too but I hate the fact that they are manufactured in China. Yes I am biased (for now). Rather buy speakers made in Canada, the US or UK. Also on my short list are KEF XQ.

G

GB8

Enthusiast
Well Bluegrassbubba when you do get your system let us know. Take some pics as well and post. And I'm not sure which faux wood finish I'd go for. Probably the cherry. Eager to demo them in a few months when I'm back home. Should like the sound quality as I said. But I definitely will need to demo them first.

I have liked the sound for KEF Coda's (entry-level series) so I'm pretty sure I'll probably love the sound from their higher-end XQ series. And while I'm not crazy about the fact that PSB has their speakers assembled in China I won't write off their Synchrony line yet. Have always found PSB (Stratus) the most "musical" sounding. Paradigms have been very neutral (which some people want).

G

GB8

Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the pics Warpdrv. They DO look nice. Compare with the B&W 800 series IMHO. Perhaps nicer even.

I will be eager to hear them in a few months when I return back to my home city. As mentioned I'm interested in the Studio 100, CC690 and a pair of Studio 10's or 20's. Will have to see.

Have a good one!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis